Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Boston (BOS): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum connection time for DL-DL connections at BOS:

Domestic flight-domestic flight: 25 minutes if going to/from BUF, BGR, HPN, or ROC, NOT ALLOWED on a single ticket otherwise.

Domestic flight-international flight:
  • 25 minutes if going to an airport in Canada with preclearance
  • 40 minutes if going to AUA, BDA, or NAS
  • 1 hour 15 minutes if the international flight departs from terminal E (most TATL flights now depart from E.)
  • 30 minutes if none of the above applies
International flight-domestic flight: 1 hour 30 minutes. Exceptions: 25 minutes if coming from an airport in Canada with preclearance; 40 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, or NAS; and until 10/28, 1 hour 40 minutes if arriving from AMS on DL 257, ATH on any DL flight, or TLV on any DL flight ​​​​​​. Note DUB is NOT exempt from the 90 minute MCT.

International flight-international flight: 1 hour 30 minutes. Exceptions: 40 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, or NAS. Note DUB is NOT exempt from the 90 minute MCT.

Special note about arriving on an international flight: Due to BOS's setup, all non-precleared international flights arrive in terminal E. However, all domestic and some international DL flights depart from Terminal A. The exception is most TATL flights, which depart from Terminal E. To get from E to A, you can either take Massport shuttle #11 or walk through the parking garage; the 10 minute walk is completely covered, well signed, and has moving walkways.

MCT for DL to/from its partners:

DL-AF: 1 hour 20 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

AF-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes, unless the DL flight leaves from terminal E, in which case MCT is 1 hour 20 minutes. Note that for an international to domestic connection, you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-KE: 1 hour if the DL flight is domestic or arriving from a precleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

KE-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A, unless departing on one of the TATL flights that departs from E.

DL-KL: 1 hour if the DL flight is domestic or arriving from a precleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

KL-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-VS: 1 hour 15 minutes if the DL flight is domestic or coming from a pre-cleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

VS-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-WS: 40 minutes if the DL flight is domestic or coming from a pre-cleared airport; 2 hours otherwise. WS operates from terminal A, so unless you're arriving on a non-precleared DL flight, you won't have to change terminals.

WS-DL: 1 hour unless connecting to a DL flight out of terminal E, in which case MCT is 1 hour 15 minutes. All WS flights into BOS are precleared and arrive at terminal A, so you won't have to switch terminals unless the DL flight is out of E.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Boston (BOS): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by us2
More like no room for error. If the BOS-DTW flight is the last of the day, I wouldn't take the chance. Question is: what's the fare difference between a single connect in ATL and a double connect in ATL and BOS?
About $197 difference for a single connect in ATL, and a $56 difference in a double connect in ATL/BOS, but with a longer layover (hour and half). Probably will just go for the extra $56, as the peace of mind is much more worth it to me.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ermeg
About $197 difference for a single connect in ATL, and a $56 difference in a double connect in ATL/BOS, but with a longer layover (hour and half). Probably will just go for the extra $56, as the peace of mind is much more worth it to me.
Good idea, hotels are expensive in Boston, should a misconnect not be DLs responsibility
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Am I missing something? BOS isn't that big...especially being that DL only has the A terminal.

Shouldn't be a problem.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jtrue28
Am I missing something? BOS isn't that big...especially being that DL only has the A terminal.

Shouldn't be a problem.
It does but there is a long tunnel to get from one side to the other. Think DTW but not as many gates. That walk/run could take 10+ minutes depending on a variety of factors. With the T15 at Boston, you could run into problems.

-A
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Don't forget that it easily can take 10 minutes simply to get off the inbound plane.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
25 minutes is the MCT at BOS for domestic DL to domestic DL connections. Since your connection is scheduled as 25 minutes, if the estimated arrival of your ATL-BOS flight is delayed by even one minute before you board, you could have DL rebook you on a ATL-DTW for free.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
delete

Delete

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Sep 14, 2014 at 11:03 pm
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
duplicate

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Sep 14, 2014 at 11:03 pm
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:25 pm

I am arriving in BOS from LIS on TP at 5:55 PM in terminal E on a Monday. I am thinking about booking a DL flight to IND that leaves at 8:55 PM. Is 3 hours usually enough time to get through immigration/customs and get to terminal A and thru security on a Monday evening?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Do you have Global Entry? If so, you'll definitely be fine (barring delays on the inbound, of course). If not, you'll probably be fine--even if it takes you an hour to get through customs & immigration, two hours is still plenty of time to get from the exit of E to the outbound gate in terminal A. I'd walk from E to A instead of taking the intra-terminal bus; the route goes through a parking garage and is well-signed. It's about a 10 minute walk.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Do you have Global Entry? If so, you'll definitely be fine (barring delays on the inbound, of course). If not, you'll probably be fine--even if it takes you an hour to get through customs & immigration, two hours is still plenty of time to get from the exit of E to the outbound gate in terminal A. I'd walk from E to A instead of taking the intra-terminal bus; the route goes through a parking garage and is well-signed. It's about a 10 minute walk.
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I don't have Global Entry. How are the security/check in lines in terminal A? Would buying a first class ticket to get sky priority be worth it to save time with security/check in?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:49 am

Hello!
I'm looking for flights from Amsterdam to MCO with Delta (on the same ticket), and there's a flight with a 2h18 connection in BOS.
Do you think it's doable without running or is it better I choose the one with a 4h connection in DTW?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Hi, I provided a rather detailed response to your original post in the AA forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...mct-etc-7.html

Hope this helps
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
deleted; duplicate response
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:18 pm

Thank you, I didn't know these tools, that's great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.