Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Boston (BOS): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum connection time for DL-DL connections at BOS:

Domestic flight-domestic flight: 25 minutes if going to/from BUF, BGR, HPN, or ROC, NOT ALLOWED on a single ticket otherwise.

Domestic flight-international flight:
  • 25 minutes if going to an airport in Canada with preclearance
  • 40 minutes if going to AUA, BDA, or NAS
  • 1 hour 15 minutes if the international flight departs from terminal E (most TATL flights now depart from E.)
  • 30 minutes if none of the above applies
International flight-domestic flight: 1 hour 30 minutes. Exceptions: 25 minutes if coming from an airport in Canada with preclearance; 40 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, or NAS; and until 10/28, 1 hour 40 minutes if arriving from AMS on DL 257, ATH on any DL flight, or TLV on any DL flight ​​​​​​. Note DUB is NOT exempt from the 90 minute MCT.

International flight-international flight: 1 hour 30 minutes. Exceptions: 40 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, or NAS. Note DUB is NOT exempt from the 90 minute MCT.

Special note about arriving on an international flight: Due to BOS's setup, all non-precleared international flights arrive in terminal E. However, all domestic and some international DL flights depart from Terminal A. The exception is most TATL flights, which depart from Terminal E. To get from E to A, you can either take Massport shuttle #11 or walk through the parking garage; the 10 minute walk is completely covered, well signed, and has moving walkways.

MCT for DL to/from its partners:

DL-AF: 1 hour 20 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

AF-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes, unless the DL flight leaves from terminal E, in which case MCT is 1 hour 20 minutes. Note that for an international to domestic connection, you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-KE: 1 hour if the DL flight is domestic or arriving from a precleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

KE-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A, unless departing on one of the TATL flights that departs from E.

DL-KL: 1 hour if the DL flight is domestic or arriving from a precleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

KL-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-VS: 1 hour 15 minutes if the DL flight is domestic or coming from a pre-cleared airport; 1 hour 30 minutes otherwise. Note you'll have to get from terminal A to terminal E, unless arriving on a flight from a non-precleared airport outside the US. In that case, you won't have to change terminals.

VS-DL: 1 hour 30 minutes. Note you'll have to get from terminal E to terminal A.

DL-WS: 40 minutes if the DL flight is domestic or coming from a pre-cleared airport; 2 hours otherwise. WS operates from terminal A, so unless you're arriving on a non-precleared DL flight, you won't have to change terminals.

WS-DL: 1 hour unless connecting to a DL flight out of terminal E, in which case MCT is 1 hour 15 minutes. All WS flights into BOS are precleared and arrive at terminal A, so you won't have to switch terminals unless the DL flight is out of E.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Boston (BOS): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:09 pm

The bus is out side security at the arrivals/baggage claim area.
It is a Blue & White (free) Massport Bus.
Be sure you get one that is marked Terminal C or All Terminals.
One of the Buses is marked Terminals A, B, Subway (do not take that one). You can always jump on a Hertz/Avis bus.
It is a long walk from A to C and it is not straight.
As u do not have to wait for DL luggage, you should have no issue if u arrive on time. U will have to clear security when u arrive at C.
Not 100% sure DL will give u your cape air boarding pass, but the lines at C for Cape air check in are usually short.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Checked luggage can be checked through to Cape Air. As for carry on luggage, just about everything goes in the hold on Cape Air Cessna 402s.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
IMO:

Seat to waiting for bus: 15 mins
Waiting for bus: 25 mins
Bus ride: 10 mins

Massport's bus system is absolutely horrendous. They just need to be more frequent.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:08 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Thank you all for the help! I think I will give it a shot and if I miss the connection an afternoon and evening in Boston isn't the worst thing in the world
Old Jun 26, 2011, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by TTT
Thank you all for the help! I think I will give it a shot and if I miss the connection an afternoon and evening in Boston isn't the worst thing in the world
How did you do? I have a 45 minute connection from Continental (Terminal A) to Cape Air next week,..... I now have a feeling I won't make it, even with carry on.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:59 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
Originally Posted by N639DL
IMO:

Seat to waiting for bus: 15 mins
Waiting for bus: 25 mins
Bus ride: 10 mins

Massport's bus system is absolutely horrendous. They just need to be more frequent.
The bus usually isn't that bad. But you could also walk from A to C, and that's about 20 minutes, maybe 15 on a good day, depending on how heavy your backpack is.

Also, it depends what gate you get in to in A, as the satellite gates where you have to walk through the tunnel easily add 5-10 mins.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by ckl73golf
How did you do? I have a 45 minute connection from Continental (Terminal A) to Cape Air next week,..... I now have a feeling I won't make it, even with carry on.
That could be dicey. CO at least uses the main terminal in A, so you should be at the curb within 5 minutes of arrival. Still, a minimum of 10 minutes to get to C if the bus gets there quickly (maybe 15 minutes to walk) and you still need to reclear TSA over in Terminal C.

I'd say you've got misconnect written all over that one.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM
Not sure how you made your booking, but if you did it on one PNR through Expedia or some similar site, it often doesn't show all of the 9K flights BOS-MVY as routings, so a mis-connect may not be that bad. They usually have them nearly every hour until 9pm or so (check flycapeair.com). It's been a while, but the last time I flew 9K, they were very happy to switch my ticket to another flight later the same day for no fee.

Also note that DL and B6 are both running seasonal JFK-MVY this year.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by mersk862
That could be dicey. CO at least uses the main terminal in A, so you should be at the curb within 5 minutes of arrival. Still, a minimum of 10 minutes to get to C if the bus gets there quickly (maybe 15 minutes to walk) and you still need to reclear TSA over in Terminal C.

I'd say you've got misconnect written all over that one.
Yeah, I am leaning toward misconnect too. Coming into EWR from LHR at 12pm, then 2:40pm to BOS, arrive in BOS at 4pm, all on CO. Then 9K to PVC at 4:46pm.

The 9K flight is a seperate PNR, but I am wondering if CO can check me in at EWR or even in LHR?

Seeing that I am in seat 1A coming in BOS, I can sprint for the Terminal A doors and then grab whatever bus (maybe a rental car bus) to Terminal C? I have carry on luggage.

Any other opinions considering this information?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:50 am

Yeah, I am leaning toward misconnect too. Coming into EWR from LHR at 12pm, then 2:40pm to BOS, arrive in BOS at 4pm, all on CO. Then 9K to PVC at 4:46pm.

The 9K flight is a seperate PNR, but I am wondering if CO can check me in at EWR or even in LHR?

Seeing that I am in seat 1A coming in BOS, I can sprint for the Terminal A doors and then grab whatever bus (maybe a rental car bus) to Terminal C? I have carry on luggage.

Any other opinions considering this information?
Also alternative is I grab the 1:32 CO flight from EWR to BOS, but I could not book on same PNR coming from London due to connection time restrictions. This is probably an alternative, don't really care if I am not in First for it.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:20 pm

25 minute layover in BOS?

Was looking at routes from UIO to DTW and found a very reasonable flight with two stops (ATL & BOS). Although my layover in BOS is only 25 minutes! Is it even possible to make that connection??
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by ermeg
Was looking at routes from UIO to DTW and found a very reasonable flight with two stops (ATL & BOS). Although my layover in BOS is only 25 minutes! Is it even possible to make that connection??
Domestic-to-domestic in Boston on DL in 25 minutes is doable but very very little room for error.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Domestic-to-domestic in Boston on DL in 25 minutes is doable but very very little room for error.
Most likely, your flight from ATL will come into the satellite and your flight to DTW will also go out of the satellite. In that case, you'll be fine, but tight as Yahtzee says. If you happen to come into or go out of the main building, prepare to run. And if anything goes sideways, you're SOL.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL requires you to be at the xBOS gate no later than T-15. If the flight is at risk of oversell, off you go and DL gets to fill your seat. This gives you 10 minutes from brakes locked on the inbound to the gate reader on the outbound.

Ask yourself if that is sensible in light of whatever it is you have planned at DTW when you get there.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:35 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
More like no room for error. If the BOS-DTW flight is the last of the day, I wouldn't take the chance. Question is: what's the fare difference between a single connect in ATL and a double connect in ATL and BOS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.