Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta, American Express strike $1B deal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Gold

Delta and AmEx just announced this morning a deal to continue their long standing partnership and this will provide an immediate liquidity boost to Delta.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...0015/1055/NEWS
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: /usr/bin
I guess we know who's going to win the in US Bank vs AMEX debate.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:41 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
As if there was any doubt.

However, it will be interesting to see what the 'expanded options for booking travel' comprise
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:49 am

Programs: DL-PM/R, 1985 US
Does this mean double miles will come back?
AMEX ad on TV last night was selling double miles for gas, grocery, etc.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Schark
Does this mean double miles will come back?
AMEX ad on TV last night was selling double miles for gas, grocery, etc.
I would say probably not, or at least not until Amex finds itself on a better financial footing.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Starting the Biz Reserve Card this past year was a pretty good indication that DAL and AXP were not planning on ending their relationship. I never thought it would happen in the foreseeable future, and am glad it isn't as well.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by bvanderhorst
Delta and AmEx just announced this morning a deal to continue their long standing partnership and this will provide an immediate liquidity boost to Delta.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...0015/1055/NEWS
"In return for added liquidity, American Express earns greater value for its membership programs. Delta said American Express deal will increase options for members to book travel on the world’s largest carrier"

Are the new options less 2x miles
Are the new options elimination of all 2x miles except for DL tickets
Are the new options the incresae of fireign exchange from 2% to 2.75%

Seems like all the new options are for AX and NOT their customers
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
AMEX ought to be offering ALOT of double DL miles for 1,000,000,000......look at all those zeros!!! Good grief!

Well, now we know where 2x points at all sorts of places went.

What I didn't understand in the article, how does this affect AMEX acceptance in the midwest?

Dave
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by gt_croz
I guess we know who's going to win the in US Bank vs AMEX debate.
It looks like it. From the Press Release:

In late 2009, Delta plans to merge Northwest WorldPerks with SkyMiles to create the world’s premier airline loyalty program and a consolidated Co-brand Credit Card program.
However, it does look like there will be some relationship with US continuing, including a debit card offering, which I don't think DL currently has:

Delta plans to continue its longstanding partnership with U.S. Bank through their existing corporate relationships including merchant acquiring, an expanded debit card program and corporate lending.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, AvisFirst
Is anyone else concerned about the sale of SM to Amex as part of the deal?

"As part of the agreement, Delta said it expects an immediate $1 billion cash infusion from the sale of SkyMiles to American Express,"
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whynotflyanyway

"As part of the agreement, Delta said it expects an immediate $1 billion cash infusion from the sale of SkyMiles to American Express,"
It depends how it ends up benefiting me the customer. I think this was the origin of some of the bonus miles w/amex, such as hte transfer bonuses, from what I understood on another thread.

But, I have to ask, where is AMEX getting the money to buy the miles from? And just how many miles does one get for ONE BILLION?

Dave
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Davescj
But, I have to ask, where is AMEX getting the money to buy the miles from? And just how many miles does one get for ONE BILLION?

Dave
A Gazillion
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:04 am

Programs: DL-PM/R, 1985 US
I'm still curious as to how AMEX is marketing Double Miles on their SM Cards if they do not intend to honor it.

If I signed up for a 2x SM AMEX and they pulled the offer on my first statement I would be less than amused. I'm less than amused that they pulled my 2x on my cards. 2x was a major selling point for me.

I'm hoping but not expecting that it comes back.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whynotflyanyway

AMEX is not buying the SkyMiles program for $1 billion; AMEX is spending $1 billion for miles.

Probably get nearly 100 billion miles for a billion dollars.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, AvisFirst
Thanks for the clarification FWAAA. There has been a lot of talk (Randy P. and others) over the past couple of years about the possibility of the airlines spinning off their mileage programs and until your clarification I thought this might have been the first one to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.