Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

International Originating Surcharge - SkyMiles Award Ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Originating Surcharge - SkyMiles Award Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by wrose99
Do CO or NWA charge you a fuel surcharge on an AF award ticket using their miles? I don't think so.
I just did a search, CDG-IAD, selecting AF, and using NW miles.

Jan 16, 2008
Depart: 10:15 AM
Arrive: 12:55 PM
Duration: 8 hr 40 min
Air France 28
Paris Aeroport - Charles De Gaulle (CDG)
Washington Dulles Intl (IAD)
Equipment: Boeing 777
Meal: None
Approx. flight miles: 3,840
Booking class:X/Coach
Fare basis code: YSM
Jan 23, 2008
Depart: 4:55 PM
Arrive: 6:20 AM
Duration: 7 hr 25 min
Air France 39
Washington Dulles Intl (IAD)
Paris Aeroport - Charles De Gaulle (CDG)
Equipment: Boeing 777
Meal: None
Approx. flight miles: 3,840
Booking class:X/Coach
Fare basis code: YSM
This flight arrives 1 day after departure
Cost Summary
1 Adult $0.00
Taxes/Fees: $69.19
Total Cost: $69.19
Mileage per person 50,000
Total Miles: 50,000

Looks like DL members are getting the shaft. Hopefully this won't expand to CO or NW.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 7:37 am

no fee bite on continental yet

just painfully booked bought skyteam tix originating in europe,3 via delta thru CDG, 1 same itinerary with OnePass; Delta taxes $405, CO only $91...Ouch!!! Going to check on '24 hour cancellation/refund' and search other options...wish I researched more, but so few seats out there, felt like I had to grab the itinerary that worked, whatever the cost. This is just flushed cash, however.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:45 am
In Memoriam

This is just getting stupid...

It reaafirms the mantra use your miles as soon as you can......
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:23 am

Programs: DL
I flew USAirways in September 07 , MAN - PHL - LGA, and only paid $112 in taxes and fees.... anything over $200 seems excessive from what i can tell
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:24 pm

$322 taxes and fees on award ticket

I was just quoted $322 for taxes and fees on an award ticket from OTP through CDG back to the US. Is DL passing on some AF fuel surcharges or what? The agent claimed it was all taxes imposed for flying through France but couldn't interpret each of the individual items that added up to that amount. This is about three times what I have paid previously, and I wonder what the heck is going on.

The whole idea of a ''fuel surcharge'' is underhanded and dishonest. Fuel is a basic part of the product, not an extra. I understand that oil has gone up, but airlines should have the honesty to simply raise the fare to account for that rather than play chicken sh#t games with ''fuel surcharges''. How long will it be until they slap on a surcharge for the plane having wings? Or maybe a pilot surcharge. Geez.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Apparently, DL is now assessing fuel surcharges if award travel originates in Europe and includes one or more AF segments. There's a thread on it somewhere.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Most European airlines have been doing the "fuel surcharge" thing for a long time now...and the fuel surcharge has only been increasing, never decreasing. The US airlines for the most part have not been able to get away with it but now that DL and AF are getting closer (joint venture), it is inevitable that they will have to more closely 'align' their policies to prevent any potential 'arbitrage'...I am sure AF is forcing the issue and I'm not sure that DL is particularly unwelcoming of this move either...
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Also, there now appears to be some new(within the last year anyway) tax for flying thru CDG, and maybe other French airports as well. Unlike the similar UK tax/fee, this one seems to apply not only if you depart CDG, but also if you're just connecting there. Grrr! May also be charged just for arriving at CDG but am not sure about that. I think it's something on the order of $45, at least for a J class ticket anyway. Not sure if it's the same for Y.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
The EU nations with such high connection taxes are shooting themselves in the foot. I am returning BUD-AMS-JFK in the spring with a 23 hour "connection." I would have preferred CDG, but the tax made it worth stopping in AMS instead. (I forget what exactly it was - but I checked on ITA it was taxes, not the fares or surcharges changing the price.) I've already been to CDG but never to AMS (outside of the airport that is) so it should be a fun experience.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 3:29 pm

I am aware that Chirac pushed through an air ticket tax for overseas social programs, which air travels should NOT be gouged for, but that was only $15 or 20 on a coach ticket, so it does not explain $322. France has not adopted one of those large ''save the planet'' air ticket taxes. That's only the UK, and after July 1, the Netherlands.

How is this fuel surcharge structured? It seems grossly excessive since the ticket is only on AF from OTP to CDG, and actually on TAROM on the return.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Talking $79.00

FWIW;

I just booked PDX-ZHR and the fees only came to $79.00/ticket^
Old Jan 27, 2008, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carolinian
How is this fuel surcharge structured?
Here's the original thread:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770517

Originally Posted by Carolinian
t seems grossly excessive since the ticket is only on AF from OTP to CDG, and actually on TAROM on the return.
You were able to redeem for a flight on TAROM? I didn't realize they were available as an award partner.

If you can get rid of the AF coded flights, then you'll be okay.
What airline are you flying TATL?
You could try getting routed through AMS--I don't think the surcharge applies to KL coded flights.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Most European airlines have been doing the "fuel surcharge" thing for a long time now...and the fuel surcharge has only been increasing, never decreasing. The US airlines for the most part have not been able to get away with it but now that DL and AF are getting closer (joint venture), it is inevitable that they will have to more closely 'align' their policies to prevent any potential 'arbitrage'...I am sure AF is forcing the issue and I'm not sure that DL is particularly unwelcoming of this move either...
Air Canada has also been doing the "fuel surcharge" thing for some time now. They recently have started to collect on award bookings with Lufthansa.

These fuel surcharges were suppose to be a temporary thing. We know OIL is not going back to $30 a barrel. Fuel surcharges should be included in the price of the ticket since it's part of the cost of doing business. You don't see Starbucks adding a .10 surcharge for a cup of coffee because the price of coffee bean's have gone up. They just raise the price.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Frustrating and annoying and something I expect to see more of, not surprised to see DL leading the way here amongst US carriers.

But hardly a new idea, check out the surcharges on a CX premium class award on BA through LHR... (~ US$500).
Old Jan 27, 2008, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by reregulator
just painfully booked bought skyteam tix originating in europe,3 via delta thru CDG, 1 same itinerary with OnePass; Delta taxes $405, CO only $91...Ouch!!! Going to check on '24 hour cancellation/refund' and search other options...wish I researched more, but so few seats out there, felt like I had to grab the itinerary that worked, whatever the cost. This is just flushed cash, however.
I'll have to recreate something like this myself too, but if the difference in cash portion of an award ticket is so huge between DL on the one hand and CO or NW on the other, then that will push me to actually use my DL account even less and earn miles in the "cheaper" SkyTeam programs and burn them just as quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.