Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

NW 747-400 Upper or Lower Deck/Best Seats in BusinessElite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW GOLD

I'm going to HKG in a couple of weeks in WBC^^ and have a window seat in row 77 upper deck. I've seen some threads on the diffs between upper and main deck but wanted to know from you guys what you think about:
1-AB VS. 9-JK VS 10-AB or the exit row that I'm in now 77-A. Might be a long time before I'm in WBC on the 774 again and just want to know what you guys think. Thanks to all
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by JJLA35
I'm going to HKG in a couple of weeks in WBC^^ and have a window seat in row 77 upper deck. I've seen some threads on the diffs between upper and main deck but wanted to know from you guys what you think about:
1-AB VS. 9-JK VS 10-AB or the exit row that I'm in now 77-A. Might be a long time before I'm in WBC on the 774 again and just want to know what you guys think. Thanks to all
i realized quite a lot of people suggest upper because more personalized attention.

so i picked my NRT to MSP @ upper
yet it's in July so i can't tell u how is it
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:13 pm

Assuming LAX-NRT uses the same type of aircraft (744), can someone also provide the general pros and cons of WBC upper and main decks? I checked seatguru and didnt really find anything that would make me choose one deck's seats versus the other's.

Carrying the carryon baggage up a flight of stairs is a very minor inconvenience and wont play a role in my deck selection process.

Is there a dedicated flight attendant for the Upper Deck?
i know about the less overhead space but are the overhead storage bins of the same size?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I like row 1 myself. No traffic walking by unless they have business being there. Overhead lockers are definitely larger on the main deck (upper deck limited due to the roof contour) but there's no side lockers, and not much of a locker for row 1 but you can always use the closet.

It's also roomier as they cabin height is higher. I can reach the vent control while seated on the u/d but can't on the main deck.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
73a!!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:35 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by JJLA35
77-A.
You already have my favorite seat on ANY airplane. Last time, it was early December, I flew NW NRT-HKG they served a lobster cocktail. With the champagne and comfy seat, the only reason I could justify leaving the plane was amazing Hong Kong. (That and the krispy kreme donuts in the arrival area....mmm)
Old Apr 23, 2008, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
77A is the best seat for me, (For the rare times I get to fly Bis). 77K on the other side is exactly the same except there is a FA seat facing you. The overhead is small but you will have more sidebin space than you will need.
Dave
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Upper Deck

I've been thru NRT a couple of times up front in the 747 and have two words for you: Upper deck. Period. You are so far from the engines you can't hear them. The air going over the top does not seem to be as loud as in the main cabin. It is quiet.

Usually not full and one or two FA's. 24 seats. Best pax/FA ratio you will likely ever find. Seems more like a private jet ride, not a commercial flight.

No room for a large rollaboard, but the side bins on window seats are huge and will hold about a 7 inch wide bag plus all you pillows, blankets, goodies and all. Upstairs window is the way to go.

I agree with seatguru.com: 73A is the best seat. When they say "the bulkhead is miles away" believe it. With 73B fully reclined you can drive your car between their feet and the bulkhead. (If you can sneak your car past TSA.) 77A and 77K are also great.

The upper deck of a 747 is a wonderful flying experience. Don't miss your chance to enjoy it. ^
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW GOLD
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will stay right where I am in
77-A. Can't wait for the trip to begin!!
Old Apr 23, 2008, 6:45 pm
2mg

Beam me...

UP!
Always.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:07 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Originally Posted by drjazz
73a!!
Ditto. I think 77 is too dark - no window, big emergency exit. I like being next to the window and having my own personal locker right next to me. The only problem with the upper deck is very limited overhead storage if you have a large carrry-on. Sometimes the flight attendant will help and find a place for it, but not always. Schlepping stuff up the stairs and some delay de-planing is another small downside, but I like being way up there and the more private feel in the upper cabin.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:26 pm

Echoing JJLA35:

Thanks All!!!

Upper deck it is.

Unfortunately, i'm more than 90 days away from departure and i cant get assigned seats as of yet. I'll make sure i have a reminder to call NWA or go to nwa.com a minute *before* the 90-day countdown starts!

Thanks again.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:22 pm
2mg

Originally Posted by remedy
with the upper deck is very limited overhead storage if you have a large carrry-on.
A large carry-on? Is that even possible these days?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:37 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
I have an award reservation in September and I'll be on the 744 for NRT-MSP.

I read all the fuss about row 77 but can't decide if I want the window or aisle seat. In Y, the window seat is partially blocked by a "hump" / escape slide on the door. Can you tell me if this is an issue with 77A/K?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
In row 77, if you are at the aisle, it is almost impossible to see out the window since there is only 1 at that row and it is directly next to the window seat. If you are at the window seat, the slide is not going to be a problem because of the extra curving on the upper deck. I agree that 73A or B is the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.