Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Passes printing out too small

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Boarding Passes printing out too small

Lately, when I check in online, my boarding passes have been printing out too small. They get shrunk and only take up about 2/3 of the page width on a letter size page, instead of nearly the full width. This makes them hard to read and impossible to scan at the gate, check-in counter, or CRC. I was surprised to not see this discussed on FT and I did a search and didn't find anything.

I've theorized that it might be due to my switch to Windows Vista and Iternet Explorer 7.0.

Is anyone else having this problem?

The good news is that there is a fix.
I emailed Delta about the problem and I got the following response from Barbara at the Medallion Desk.

The delta.com team has been advised of the recent problem with printing boarding passes and I will forward your information for review. We have been advised that if you go back to Online Check-in and select 'reprint' that the boarding pass is issued normal size.
Indeed, after I got this message, I went back online and was able to select reprint and it printed out fine.

-Michael
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:44 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
yes I have the same problem, but it didn't start with Vista. I've been running Vista for over a year (yes, betas!) and only the last few months has the boarding passes been "pre-shrunk" out of the printer. However, they have always scanned for me at the gates.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I run XP Pro and IE7 and have the same problem.

If printing with a Laser Printer, the boarding pass is still readable by the DL's scanners. However with inkjet printers, the bar code tends to run together.
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:21 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
I noticed this too, just didn't think it was a huge issue. I'd rather DL fix Journey Control from prohibiting legal itineraries and other equally annoying glitches.

My solution was to simply stop by a kiosk and re-print the BPs there. I figured if I presented a microfiche boarding pass to TSA I'd be headed to secondary screening for sure.

Kip Hawley IS an idiot!

Oh, and I forgot to mention I'm running XP Pro and IE7. Maybe next time I'll try Firefox.

Last edited by COpltASgldPHX; Aug 23, 2007 at 10:24 pm Reason: added OS/Browser info
Old Aug 24, 2007, 2:40 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG, MG, HHG, AA Gold, AMEX PLAT,
I think this has been fixed..

[QUOTE=PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA;8285433]Lately, when I check in online, my boarding passes have been printing out too small. They get shrunk and only take up about 2/3 of the page width on a letter size page, instead of nearly the full width. This makes them hard to read and impossible to scan at the gate, check-in counter, or CRC. I was surprised to not see this discussed on FT and I did a search and didn't find anything.

I've printed a few boarding passes over the last 24 hrs.. they sem to be fine.... I did have this same issue last week. I guess DL actually corrected this minor issue....
Old Aug 24, 2007, 3:13 am

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
My boarding passes printed out in "mini-me" format the past few times. A Delta agent at the Crown Room said that they have seen lots of them and Delta is working on the problem.

I'm on Windows XP and IE 7.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 5:56 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PL 2MM, UA 1P, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Quick Fix

If you run a print preview from your boarding pass screen by either selecting it from the menu options or right clicking and selecting print preview you can fix this error.

When the print preview opens, the top right drop down box will display shrink to fit. Change this to an option between 90% - 100% and it will print normally.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chaz.brownfield
If you run a print preview from your boarding pass screen by either selecting it from the menu options or right clicking and selecting print preview you can fix this error.

When the print preview opens, the top right drop down box will display shrink to fit. Change this to an option between 90% - 100% and it will print normally.

All of these fixes that we are doing on our own and recommending are helpful. It would be even more helpful if DL fixed the problem. I encountered this on my last two trips and using various computers. They were all running XP Pro & IE7.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:03 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I've seen the same thing, and had them reprinted at the airport a couple of times. However, I've also found that the mini passes scan properly.

I did have one TSA checker give me a hard time about it, but carefully pointed out the header from DL's website and was allowed through (with no secondary) with "don't let it happen again".....
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
I also have the small-print problem and was concerned about security screening. The TSAs at STL (St. Louis) said they were used to seeing these small print boarding passes, so I was treated the same as a regular size boarding pass. Also, even though I use an inkjet printer, it worked fine at the scanner at the gate.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Delta changed the disclaimer that prints in between the two images. It doesn't wrap properly in the browser display so the browser shrinks down everything to fit in on a page.

They appear to have fixed the problem as of yesterday.

BTW, where did the reprint boarding pass functionality go? I'm only getting one shot at it. My solution is to print to an Adobe PDF and then keep that if I need to reprint.

Regards,
Your Friendly Local IT Geek

"Those of us who can... do. Those who can't... get promoted to management"
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:58 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
Delta changed the disclaimer that prints in between the two images. It doesn't wrap properly in the browser display so the browser shrinks down everything to fit in on a page.

BTW, where did the reprint boarding pass functionality go? I'm only getting one shot at it. My solution is to print to an Adobe PDF and then keep that if I need to reprint.

Regards,
Your Friendly Local IT Geek

"Those of us who can... do. Those who can't... get promoted to management"
I always print mine to PDF. That way I can store them in an electronic archive in case I need to submit for non-credit of mileage. Makes it easier - that way I can just shred my paper BP when I get back to the house and not have to keep a file folder anymore.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:20 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Probably a bug in their CSS code, does it work in firefox?

I always use the kiosk.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
I've seen the same thing, and had them reprinted at the airport a couple of times. However, I've also found that the mini passes scan properly.

I did have one TSA checker give me a hard time about it, but carefully pointed out the header from DL's website and was allowed through (with no secondary) with "don't let it happen again".....
AS if it was your fault!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by chaz.brownfield

This didn't work for me. When printing BPs from the check-in screen in IE7, there was no way for me to select print preview, since the "print boarding pass" icon goes straight to the print dialog box. When I did a reprint I did have the option of using print preview, as I could actually display the boarding passes before selecting print.

Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell

Thanks for the info about the disclaimer. I had assumed that this is what was causing the problem, not the BP image itself.

As for the reprint boarding pass option, I got to it by just going back to my itinerary and clicking "check in" again.

It's good to hear that Delta has fixed this problem. I had small boarding passes on 8/22 (printed from a hotel business center computer that used one of those pay per minute and print systems - the browser wasn't identifiable as IE6 or IE7w. Then on 8/25, I got some normal-sized BPs from a hotel computer that was running IE6. So from my experience, I couldn't tell if the problem had been fixed or if I was just experiencing differences in browsers.

-Michael

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.