Non-working seats in BE AMS-MSP

Old Apr 27, 2013, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles, AA,
Angry Non-working seats in BE AMS-MSP

Hi all,

My wife and I were on an AMS - MSP A330 on Thursday. The entire back half of the BE cabin, rows 4 - 6 were completely dead, no recline, no AVOD, nothing. Luckily for my wife and I there were two enpty seats in row 1, so we were moved (she has back issues). But many others were not so lucky. There were people sleeping on the floor! My question is this: Where do I send my complaint so that the effected people might get some compensation? These seats are expensive, and they did not get the product they paid for!
Old Apr 27, 2013, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
That really stinks, although I'm not sure DL will just outright compensate the other pax via your complaint unless you were all on the reservation.

I would start here:
http://www.delta.com/contactus/pages...aint/index.jsp

To call or write a letter:
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...e-offices.html

Last edited by rwoman; Apr 27, 2013 at 5:47 am Reason: Add link
Old Apr 27, 2013, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Non-working seats in BE AMS-MSP

Sounds like an electrical problem. That's a shame.

Definitely worth serious compensation.

WWSBWS
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Why are you complaining for other people? Don't you think they are capable of complaining on ther own?

Major safety hazard if people really are sleeping on the floor.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 7:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Frequently in situations like this there is some automatic compensation, although sometimes elites get more later, as well as any affected passengers who complain individually. In fact, I've seen pursers distribute service recovery packs on board and IIRC sometimes a GA meets the arriving flight with these things.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally we were also affected. Our seat assignment places us in row 4, one of the dead rows. If compensation were to happen automatically, we would be included in the action. It was definately an electrical problem.

I'll keep you informed.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JVPonKauai
Originally we were also affected. Our seat assignment places us in row 4, one of the dead rows. If compensation were to happen automatically, we would be included in the action. It was definately an electrical problem.

I'll keep you informed.
Maybe the purser reported that you were able to change seats. You should not get compensation as e problem was fixed for you by moving to different seats.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

They have said that all affected people will get 15,000 miles. Do you think that is OK?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:09 pm

They have said that all affected people will get 15,000 miles. Do you think that is OK?
LOL no. Not in my opinion. Maybe if it was economy and you couldn't recline.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
$150 (and in SkyMiles, not even in cash)? When DL failed to provide a seat that is worth THOUSANDS of dollars more than a Y ticket? HAHAHAHA.

I am sure some people will accept the SkyPesos, but if it were me, I would be talking to my CC company about a chargeback. 4,000 miles is a looooong flight to sit in a seat that doesn't recline and doesn't have AVOD, especially if I paid for a sleeper seat. Delta should at least credit back most of the difference between J and Y for that flight - and if not, I would be taking it up with AmEx.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Maybe I missed it, but did anyone realize this issue before takeoff? That seems like a major enough mechanical issue to delay/cancel a flight and have it fixed.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:53 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I would say 15k and partial refund would be appropiate
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:17 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
I would say 15k and partial refund would be appropiate
Yes, I second that

Imagine if this was on a LAX-SYD flight with no floor space in between the sleepers. I imagined it for a second and almost fainted. Imagine sitting the whole evening flight without recline to Sydney. Just put me in economy with recline. Please?

Lesson: always check the recline when on long-haul sleepers after boarding

Last edited by flyingdoc747; Apr 30, 2013 at 6:51 pm
Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
One of the first things I do when I board is make sure the seat functions. If there is a problem, I notify the FA or Purser immediately. I did become well versed in how to access and use the manual override switches from a recent flight on a 747. Seat worked fine for most of the flight, until the last few hours where it decided to get into some impossibly odd angle when I pushed the button to bring it back up from a sleeping position.

Not sure how it is on the 333 style seats, but on the 747 if you pull up the seat cushion there is a metal panel you can open to access 4 manual release switches which allow you to move the seat in whatever position you want if the controls are malfunctioning.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 8:09 am
Original Poster

I also usually test the seats, but here when both myself and another passenger noticed that they were dead, the Purser told us that they were switched off until we were airborne. I should have challenged this, but accepted it at the time. After we concluded that they were fully dead, I asked if there wasn't a way to mechanically recline. One of the FA's said they thought so, but they didn't know how to do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.