Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Around the World Ticket Using Delta Air Lines SkyMiles: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Anyone who has gone on an around the world trip (where you can travel to multiple places if you keep going in the same direction). Would you list where you started, where you went and in what month? I'm trying to figure out our trip plan (if I get enough miles, almost there), and when we should go. I work so can only go for 6-7 weeks. (I know, not much time, but it's better than nothing) Also, if you have any recommendations (good or bad) on places, when to travel, weather.

Also, when booking the flight using NW miles (I think it's 140,000 miles), do you have to only fly on flights that have a ff award available? Also, what do you do when a flight is canceled and you booked months earlier, and there are no more ff awards available? Thanks, Darwin
Old May 29, 2007, 9:46 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
If you are using NW miles, it would be a NW award. I would suspect that the NW forum would be a better place for details on booking, etc.

However, certain things are universal:

1. Book early. (I booked each leg of my RTW at 300 days out to snag the seats as soon as they were released)
2. Be flexible on dates
3. Have alternate destinations

I don't know the particulars of the NW RTW award, but the only one offered by DL is the SkyTeam RTW award. With DL, you are limited to SkyTeam carriers (with the exception of AS and AV)
Old May 29, 2007, 11:47 am
Original Poster

I first posted in the NW area, but they said that I should post here instead. So I did. Thanks for the info. Darwin
Old May 29, 2007, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA WN F9 DL
I just returned from an "around the world" trip
Started in Denver, flew thru ATL on Delta to Copenhagen, then KLM to Rome, Air Iltalia to Vienna, Air France to Singapore, Korean Air to seoul, tokyo, sydney. The only bad thing was to get back to US had to go back to tokyo to get to Honolulu Korean Air to Northwest. Then back to Denver via SLC on Delta.

They only restriction they seemed to have was I had to use Delta if they served the city then codeshare and skyteam allowed. (my points were delta)
I downloaded the electronic timetable software ahead of time and had my routes all chosen prior to calling the redemption desk. Saved some time but a lot of my choices werent available for a variety of reasons.

I did the 220,000 version (business class) which gives you the sleeper seats on the long flights...well worth it. But, even more useful was access to the Airline lounges at every stop (except HNL to SLC which is a domestic flight)

All my flights were adjusted +/- time wise from the original booking. The resulting flights ALL went off on time (scarey)

May turned out to be an excellent choice for weather. Some rain here and there but to be expected. Singapore was the most modern city Ive been in. Food and prices great in Vienna. Sydney had lots to do, great transit system. Rome was crowded and dirty and May isnt even a busy month for them.

Mike
Old May 29, 2007, 12:42 pm

Programs: 4MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime PM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Here is a thread with great information.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548653
Old May 29, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dlwfarm
Also, when booking the flight using NW miles (I think it's 140,000 miles), do you have to only fly on flights that have a ff award available? Also, what do you do when a flight is canceled and you booked months earlier, and there are no more ff awards available? Thanks, Darwin
If you're booking a Northwest reward using Northwest miles, you probably should ask this question in the Northwest forum.
Old May 29, 2007, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by dlwfarm
Also, what do you do when a flight is canceled and you booked months earlier, and there are no more ff awards available? Thanks, Darwin
Just like any other award, they need to reaccomodate you somehow. It'll be a bit trickier with partner airlines, but they will work with you to find something acceptable.

Many people here actually hope that award flights they book are cancelled because it gives you much more negotiating room when rebooking. They have to accomodate you somehow and are then able to create award seats on a flight. The moral - cancellations are not always a bad thing.
Old May 30, 2007, 7:00 am
Original Poster

First, I want to thank everyone for the info. Second, I first posted in NW's web area thinking that was the correct place. Then some people said to post somewhere else. So I did. Then my post was moved. So it was confusing...
But, thanks for all the info.
Darwin
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL,EK
RTW Award

I am looking to do a RTW on SkyTeam, hopefully hitting a few places in South America, Africa, Dubai and South Asia. I know I may need to do a few segments outside of the award. I do not see any RTW info on delta or Skyteam sites.

Where is this detailed?
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:53 pm

There's an extensive thread on here. Try searching the OLD Delta forum.

You should be able to get from Africa to Dubai to South Asia easily.

US --> South America on DL

South America --> Africa would have to be via EUROPE on AF/KL/AZ.

Africa --> Dubai on KQ

Dubai --> SE Asia on KE/CZ/SU

SE Asia --> US on KE/CZ/DL
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...orld/index.jsp
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
What a deal. Only 30% more mileage than NW required for Biz tickets.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Are RTW awards restricted to Skyteam partners? I ask because MH (Malaysia) now appears in the list of Delta/multi-airline awards (apart from the "partner awards"). They seem to fly Buenos Aires-Capetown twice a week, which saves a lot of time by not going up to Europe and back down, if permitted.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by kahuna613
Are RTW awards restricted to Skyteam partners? I ask because MH (Malaysia) now appears in the list of Delta/multi-airline awards (apart from the "partner awards"). They seem to fly Buenos Aires-Capetown twice a week, which saves a lot of time by not going up to Europe and back down, if permitted.
A very interesting question. Previously, it was not limited to ST partners but rather DL's group of "multi-airline award partners." The list was all the ST + AS + AV + HA, but did not include SQ & CI. I'll be interested to know how this plays out...
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
A very interesting question. Previously, it was not limited to ST partners but rather DL's group of "multi-airline award partners." The list was all the ST + AS + AV + HA, but did not include SQ & CI. I'll be interested to know how this plays out...
That would be a good thing if you could use MH for this route. Hopefully the high fuel surcharge that MH charges in some situations wouldn't be part of it, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.