Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2002, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Connection to Int'l Flight at DTW

I'm connecting on a flight from CLE to AMS in DTW next Tuesday. Connection time is only 47 minutes, 13 min. below NW's recommended time. That seems like it's cutting it pretty close, especially if the incoming flight is at the end of C concourse and the AMS flight leaves from F14 or thereabouts. I called NW just make sure that was sufficient and the agent assured me it was. Anyone have any experiences with connecting to an international flight at DTW.

Also, if I do have to rush to catch the flight and general boarding is already in progress, can I sneak into line as a CO Gold? Just a question of etiquette here. What have other elites done in a similar situation. Thanks for any advice.
Old Jan 22, 2002, 7:54 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by guy44134:
Anyone have any experiences with connecting to an international flight at DTW.</font>
They'll wait for you, unless you're flight is REALLY delayed. Intercontinental flights are padded to account for connecting passengers.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> Also, if I do have to rush to catch the flight and general boarding is already in progress, can I sneak into line as a CO Gold? Just a question of etiquette here. What have other elites done in a similar situation. Thanks for any advice.</font>
You shouldn't have a problem. This rests on the assumption that NW still maintains two roped off lanes (main and elite/business) throughout the entire boarding process. Just show the agent your gold card, and you should be allowed to go to the premium lane. This is what I experienced two years ago.

Assuming there's only one lane, first come first serve. Unless of course there are agents who'll send you to the front of the line if you're elite/business.

- Pat

[This message has been edited by Wiirachay (edited 01-22-2002).]
Old Jan 22, 2002, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
I would strongly recommend that you try to get on an earlier CO/NW flight into DTW.

IME, my flight always seems to get in as far as possible from my connection. In this case, the AMS flight will depart from the F concourse, making it almost certain that you will have to walk through a concourse (or two, or three, or four...).
Old Jan 23, 2002, 1:03 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
And if there is any snow (but CLE and DTW dont get snow).... then you might have weather affect your flight as well. Play it safe and stand-by for an earlier CLE-DTW flight and you will feel a whole lot better. I'd have missed a trans-pac last year if I hadn't come on an earlier flight into DTW. Just my 2c worth....
Old Jan 23, 2002, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Unless you are physically handicapped and cannot walk at a normal pace, it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get from the farthest point in C terminal to F terminal. I have made it walking fast in under 10. That being said; weather or mechanical delays on your inbound flight would leave it a tight connection. Also, depending on where you are sitting on the inbound flight, it could take extra time to exit the first plane and you could lose precious minutes.

If you are checking luggage, I don't believe they will let you standby on an earlier flight. They are not forecasting any bad weather for early next week, so you should be OK.

If you are concerned about what terminal the CLE flight will be landing at, go to NWA.com and check flight status for today or tomorrow and find out where the same flight # lands. NW tends to go to the same gates. You can then make some guesses about how tight the connection will be.

I hope you are not flying a CO metal from CLE since you would land in B terminal and have to go through security again and most definitely miss connections if there is any line at all.

------------------
Old Jan 23, 2002, 11:23 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
the beauty is that you are flying to AMS. with all the DTW-AMS flights NW/KL operates you'll probably be okay, even if you misconnect. it's not like you are going to LGW, with only one daily flight....

that being said, you'll probably have as far as possible of a hike between gates. i SWEAR that NW does it on purpose.

of course, you could get lucky. maybe they've moved the supercomputer that calculates my connections and gates (to make sure they are as far apart as possible) over to the new terminal already. we'll see what happens, I'm connceting thru DTW to get to MCO next week.

------------------
Bad Gordon!

No Freddie for you!
Old Jun 4, 2002, 1:59 pm

int'l to domestic connection time at DTW

I'm flying NRT-DCA via DTW and have a connection time of a little less than 90 minutes at DTW (NWA's website recommends 90 mins). I have to clear customs in the non-US citizen line. Other international travelers, what has your experience been in terms of making connections.

Old Jun 5, 2002, 5:31 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
If you're holding a greencard, you can use the US citizen line.

- Pat
Old Jun 5, 2002, 10:11 am

I arrived in DTW on a TPE-&gt;DTW-&gt;IND flight in mid-May. I walked off the plane to passport control with no wait. I am sure that is the exception. But, there are many, many passport control booths.

I had only carry-on, so I then went directly to Customs. I was through in 5 minutes.

I would imagine you will have no trouble making your connection.
Old Jun 8, 2002, 6:28 pm

Location: Toronto, Canada - Hilton Diamond, NW Platinum, SPG Platinum
I've flown YYZ-DTW-NRT-DTW-YYZ 6 times since the new terminal opened, and have never waited more than 15 minutes. 90 minutes will be more than enough time.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 8:52 pm

1 hour connection in DTW on to AMS, NBO???

I'm flying on the following itinerary on Sat, May 10:

PHL-DTW
DTW-AMS
AMS-NBO

on a business class award.

My question is this: should I take the later PHL-DTW flight which arrives in DTW with one hour to spare to connect to my flight to AMS, or should I take the earlier PHL-DTW flight which gives me a 4 hour layover?

I suspect that one hour is not enough to connect onward to AMS and NBO. I will have check-in luggage.

However I have never flown KLM or NW, nor have I been to DTW so I don't really know for sure.

As an aside, am I entitled to any lounge access in DTW and AMS? If so which is the best lounge to visit? I have no status on CO/NW/KLM but as mentioned, am flying on business class award.

Thanks!!
Old Mar 18, 2003, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Thanks to the new terminal all mainline and international flights are in the same building, so 1 hour seems sufficient to me. PHL-DTW and DTW-AMS are both operated by NW, AMS-NBO is operated by KLM. Since you are only connecting to an International flight at DTW, you should be fine. If you were connecting from an international flight that would be a different matter. I'm not sure about that lounge part though. The best lounge is one's own opinion. I don't have a much of a preference for DTW though.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
One hour is plenty of time to connect at DTW. A guy in decent shape can make it from B/C to any of A70-ties or A-ones gates in about 8 to 10 mins. And you can always use the Richard's tram for a quick ride from the middle of A to its end

--Jano

[This message has been edited by Jano (edited 03-18-2003).]
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:25 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
One hour is plenty of time. The new terminal is such a treat to use compared to the old DTW.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 7:40 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
rgoel, I'm doing a 54 min. connection tonight DCA--DTW--AMS. I'm not worried.

Re. lounges, there are 3 you'll have to choose from: one on each of the extreme ends of the concourse, at the tram stop, and a larger one in the middle of the concourse. The 2 on the ends are pretty standard, with the one in the middle of the concourse a step above.

You should be able to get in with a WBC ticket, regardless of how you got it.... however, given your quick connection, you may not have much time to sit around the lounge. While the connecting time is enough that you'll make the flight, it will keep you on your toes-- especially if you want to go to the bathroom, get water, etc.-- preparations for the transatlantic.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.