Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DTW is easiest airport I know to connect at coming in international. 1.5 hours is easily doable. If you happen to get delayed coming in there's the later flight, plus multiple other options through JFK/LGA/ATL/etc.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
DTW is easiest airport I know to connect at coming in international. 1.5 hours is easily doable. If you happen to get delayed coming in there's the later flight, plus multiple other options through JFK/LGA/ATL/etc.
Thanks - I feel better about this flight now and I appreciate your input. I guess its worth it to stay on this flight and if I make it, I'm home 5 hours earlier, but if I'm delayed at least there are other options for that night.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by iAMaCAT
Am flying back from LHR with a layover in DTW. Am landing at DTW at 4:08pm and was originally to depart for RDU at 7:55pm, however, Delta changed my flight from DTW to RDU to a 10:20pm departure. I called them to see if they had a flight with a shorter layover but the only thing they had was a flight departing at 5:30pm.

In short, I'd be arriving to DTW from LHR on Delta at 4:08pm and leaving for RDU on Delta at 5:30pm. I've never flown from DTW - is this a doable connection time, folks? I'll have checked bags and don't have TSA precheck.

Thx!!!
We connected in DTW last month coming from ICN (heading to MCO). Plane was 45 minutes late so we had about 90 minutes to make the connection. Biggest problem was waiting for the luggage which seemed to take a relatively long time. Otherwise we got through customs real quickly (without GE), but we did get new boarding passes so we could use precheck. We wound up making the gate with 30 minutes to go so you shouldn't have a problem. The next flight home was in about 3 hours so we weren't concerned.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
We connected in DTW last month coming from ICN (heading to MCO). Plane was 45 minutes late so we had about 90 minutes to make the connection. Biggest problem was waiting for the luggage which seemed to take a relatively long time. Otherwise we got through customs real quickly (without GE), but we did get new boarding passes so we could use precheck. We wound up making the gate with 30 minutes to go so you shouldn't have a problem. The next flight home was in about 3 hours so we weren't concerned.
Cheers for the info!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 4:18 pm

After thinking about it....

DTW is the last really nice legacy hub* experience east of the Mississippi. Everything else is either overstretched and overcrowded (ATL, DCA, CLT, MIA), suffers from severe ATC problems (NYC, ORD, BOS, PHL), or has terrible terminal facilities (IAD). DTW gets everything just right.

*Assuming one doesn't consider CVG a hub any more.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: Marriott, Flying Blue
Hey guys,

I'm looking to fly from Toronto to Memphis. I'm looking at a flight with a connection in DTW of 1 hour and 3 minutes.

TO-DTW is operated by Expressjet DBA Delta Connection

DTW-Memphis is operated by Endeavor Air DBA Delta Connection.

From what I've read, arriving in the US from TO you are considered a domestic flight. Do you think this time would be enough to connect?

Thanks,
T
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by napoleono
Hey guys,

I'm looking to fly from Toronto to Memphis. I'm looking at a flight with a connection in DTW of 1 hour and 3 minutes.

From what I've read, arriving in the US from TO you are considered a domestic flight. Do you think this time would be enough to connect?

Thanks,
T
Plenty. DTW is fairly easy to move between. Yes you'll arrive just like a domestic flight.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 8:09 am

Hey guys,

Thanks,
T
Yes, plenty of time, but don't forget to arrive at YYZ to go through customs and immigration there.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:01 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Hey guys,

Thanks,
T
Just as a point of information, there's a direct YYZ-MEM flight on Air Canada Express, but it's only once per day and it's on a CRJ2.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott, Flying Blue
Great to hear! Thanks a lot.

I know about the direct flight, but due to schedule I cannot leave too early from TO.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally a top-post, but copying here due to, you know, relevant thread:

Hey FTers!

Long time lurker, exceedingly infrequent poster, but new job will involve some international travel, so you might see me pop up from time to time with newbie questions -- appreciate your indulgence.

I have read the minimum connection times thread for DTW, but also have read some stories about delays with CBP in DTW.

My basic question, for those who have experience, should a 1hr45min gap coming in to DTW be enough to clear and make a domestic connection to OH (RJ if that matters).

I'm assuming so, but I've been off for two weeks and am eager to make it home so I'm finding things to be concerned about. This'll be Friday afternoon as well if that makes a difference.

Thanks, everyone. Appreciate the knowledge here.

This is Delta to Delta, AMS to DTW to CMH, connection to Regional Jet if that matters.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:00 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by swizzlest
My basic question, for those who have experience, should a 1hr45min gap coming in to DTW be enough to clear and make a domestic connection to OH (RJ if that matters).
Are you a US citizen/LPR or otherwise eligible to use the APC kiosks? (I suspect yes.)

Do you have Global Entry/NEXUS/SENTRI? I'm guessing not. (DTW doesn't seem to have Mobile Passport yet, so that won't help.)

My guess (not based on experience since I haven't done a DTW I-D in forever) is that it will be fine based on those assumptions. I'd worry about a misconnect if you were trying to get in on a Syrian passport with some sort of oddball visa, but for a returning US citizen that should be more than enough time even without GE/etc or the Mobile Passport app.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I'm a US citizen, no global entry. I plan to get it.

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As already noted in the other thread, 1h45m is plenty of time. Aside from having GE, the main other consideration is having checked luggage as you must pick it up and recheck it to your on destination on returning flights to the US. If you are delayed and miss your connection, they'll just put you on the next flight to CMH. Even if you are on the last AMS-DTW flight (DL has 4 daily AMS-DTW flights), there's still at least one later DTW-CMH flight. I'm guessing you are on the second to last AMS-DTW flight (DL137) connecting to DL6249 which means there are two later DTW-CMH flights to pick from. And even if those flights happen to be full for some reason, you can always just do a one-way car rental if you really want to get home the same day as it's not that bad of a drive from DTW to CMH (a little over 3 hours).
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Just FYI, if you're flying on to Canada with checked baggage, it will be tagged all the way thru to your final destination, so no need to wait for it at DTW. At least that's what I've been told. Will see if this is really the case in a couple of weeks when flying PEK-DTW-YYZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.