Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:37 pm
Suspended

That would be a tight connection at any major airport, and maybe even at small regional ones with one terminal and a handful of gates.

My own rule is that connections need to be at least 90 minutes, and even then I tend to have to rush a little because flights tend to run 15 minutes behind on average, unless you are in F it takes 15 to 20 to deplane, and BOARDING time is usually 30 minutes before departure time, meaning even if everything is on time, your connection will be boarding while you are still taxiing in your inbound...and you won't get off of it until 15 minutes prior to departure, then have to change terminals and find your gate. They tend to close the doors 10 minutes prior to departure.

If you can catch a later flight out of DTW, or an earlier flight into it, do it.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Columbo33
I have a Delta connecting flight later this week from CVG to DTW to BDL. The layover is listed as only 35 minutes in Detroit. According to flight aware, the flight tends to arrive in DTW gate B and departs DTW gate A. Looks like flights on this route this week have been a little late to DTW.

I am not very familiar with DTW - only been through a couple times this year. Is this a good idea or should I reschedule?

Thanks!!
Well, there's only been one flight this week on this route with the same flight number (today), and it got diverted to FWA due to thunderstorms in DTW. So probably not the best example. All the flights last week seem to have arrived on time. There's a couple later flights to BDL, so it's unlikely you'll be stuck in DTW if you miss it.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've made less than 25 minute connections 3 times in the last three weeks in DTW. Regional to mainline so B/C to A. All because of delayed inbound flights to DTW. It's certainly doable but not advisable. I've been winded every week. And the tram in A just sucks in my opinion - slow and low frequency - at least when I've used it.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You will probably need to run and still have a good chance of missing your flight.
No need to run and 35 minutes will make it. More flights are early than they are late. Gate checking, if required, could make it tighter.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi, I'm trying to figure out terminals, gate numbers & likelyhood of making the following connection.
VS107 (Arr 13:50) and DL4565 (dep 15:27)
It seems to be inside the MCT but looks rather optimistic
oooops
Edit - that DL4565 looks to be wrong info. Its the 15:27 DTW to BNA (Nashville) on the 15th October

Last edited by JockBossBob; Sep 25, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Your VS arrival is likely on the mid A gates. A mainline DTW-BNA will probably depart from A gates. Fifteen minutes on foot from A1-A78, a little longer if you don't use the tram or moving walkways. Add five minutes if the connection is from a B gate. What you propose is not a tough connection at DTW.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: BAEC
A very re-assuring reply - thank you
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:28 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Your VS arrival is likely on the mid A gates. A mainline DTW-BNA will probably depart from A gates. Fifteen minutes on foot from A1-A78, a little longer if you don't use the tram or moving walkways. Add five minutes if the connection is from a B gate. What you propose is not a tough connection at DTW.
Wait, what? Does that incoming VS flight have preclearance?? If not, you have to collect and re-drop bags, and reclear security.

Still, looks like plenty of time.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by pvn
Wait, what? Does that incoming VS flight have preclearance?? If not, you have to collect and re-drop bags, and reclear security.

Still, looks like plenty of time.
I was speaking to spatial layout of gates, not U.S. Customs clearance processes. The poster asked about terminals and gate numbers. Duly answered.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Looking at CDG - DTW - RDU with a 90 minute layover. Would be AF --> DL (showing mainline 717 at the moment). I know that is exactly at the MCT so it's valid but is it actually doable? Would have checked bags but we both have GE

I've never transited DTW on an international --> domestic flight so I don't know if it's straightforward a la IAD (where 90 minutes is doable with GE) or if it's a huge hassle a la ORD (where 90 minutes is really pushing it even with GE due to T5 to T1/T3 change)
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Easy transfer as it will all be in concourse A. I suspect the MCT for AF-DL is actually the same as DL-DL I-D transfers (80 minutes) due to using the same terminal.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Duke787
Looking at CDG - DTW - RDU with a 90 minute layover. Would be AF --> DL (showing mainline 717 at the moment). I know that is exactly at the MCT so it's valid but is it actually doable? Would have checked bags but we both have GE
Sometimes DTW baggage claim can be horrendous. I just submitted a complaint to DL for my arrival last week (same transit as you - CDG-DTW-RDU) Fortunately I had a very long layover....GE no problem, but baggage. Ugh. Sky Priority baggage belt was running but at no time did any bags appear on it. Those of us waiting there started seeing yellow tags appear on belts 1 & 2 (belt #3 is "Sky Priority") Belt #2 was labelled for the CDG flight. Belt #1 was never labelled for any flight at all, though that is where eventually -near the end of line - my bags appeared. This was not the first time I've had baggage delays at DTW, but it was probably the worst for me.

With carry-on bags, I'd say you are fine. With checked bags? Not sure....

Note that if you have TSA Precheck you can go to the LEFT after customs & baggage drop and go up to the 3rd floor to use the pre-check lanes instead of going through the international transit passenger security which does not have precheck. I had to print a new boarding pass that had TSA noted on it but there's a kiosk right after customs, before bag drop.

I had been told about the precheck option on FT and was planning to use it - but now there is signage directing you to it as well^
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Easy transfer as it will all be in concourse A. I suspect the MCT for AF-DL is actually the same as DL-DL I-D transfers (80 minutes) due to using the same terminal.
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Sometimes DTW baggage claim can be horrendous. I just submitted a complaint to DL for my arrival last week (same transit as you - CDG-DTW-RDU) Fortunately I had a very long layover....GE no problem, but baggage. Ugh. Sky Priority baggage belt was running but at no time did any bags appear on it. Those of us waiting there started seeing yellow tags appear on belts 1 & 2 (belt #3 is "Sky Priority") Belt #2 was labelled for the CDG flight. Belt #1 was never labelled for any flight at all, though that is where eventually -near the end of line - my bags appeared. This was not the first time I've had baggage delays at DTW, but it was probably the worst for me.

With carry-on bags, I'd say you are fine. With checked bags? Not sure....

Note that if you have TSA Precheck you can go to the LEFT after customs & baggage drop and go up to the 3rd floor to use the pre-check lanes instead of going through the international transit passenger security which does not have precheck. I had to print a new boarding pass that had TSA noted on it but there's a kiosk right after customs, before bag drop.

I had been told about the precheck option on FT and was planning to use it - but now there is signage directing you to it as well^
Okay cool ^ - this would be the return from a brief weekend (long weekend) hop to Europe so we could probably make due with just rollerboards in which case it sounds like this is doable.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
l^
Had a similar happening last summer. Thought the bag missed connection in PVG and filed a missing bag report expecting delivery to DCA the next day.
Checked the app after boarding my DCA flight and the bag had been brought through customs by DL and was on the plane.
I really don't like the separate sky priority bag belts!
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:56 am

LHR-DTW-RDU on Delta - connection doable?

Am flying back from LHR with a layover in DTW. Am landing at DTW at 4:08pm and was originally to depart for RDU at 7:55pm, however, Delta changed my flight from DTW to RDU to a 10:20pm departure. I called them to see if they had a flight with a shorter layover but the only thing they had was a flight departing at 5:30pm.

In short, I'd be arriving to DTW from LHR on Delta at 4:08pm and leaving for RDU on Delta at 5:30pm. I've never flown from DTW - is this a doable connection time, folks? I'll have checked bags and don't have TSA precheck.

Thx!!!

Last edited by iAMaCAT; Feb 6, 2017 at 11:58 am Reason: additional info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.