Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
You were looking at the wrong number. MCT for DL-DL international to domestic is actually 1h20m.

Folks seem to be missing the obvious here. The ICN flight arrives at 10:40AM and there is a ton of non-stop frequency and capacity between DTW-MSP due to it being a hub-hub route (and there are probably a dozen or more fairly reasonable connecting options). Worst case scenario might be a 2 or 3 hour delay getting home. I'd take the 1h26m connection without hesitation.
Agreed. I say worst case scenario is you're stuck at DTW for a couple hours. While not ideal if everything else prices out to what you want you might as well book it. There are flights to MSP all day.
Old May 21, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by LBJ
You were looking at the wrong number. MCT for DL-DL international to domestic is actually 1h20m.
Might be offical. But if you got global entry, connections are very quick in DTW.

I live by the motto: there is always another flight.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Schedule changes have reduced my comfortable connection time to 30 minutes. I am flying SEA - DTW - CLE in September. The Seattle flight leaves at 9:41AM.

I could change my flight to an earlier departure from SEA ( 6AM) that would give me a connection time of 45 minutes but it is a huge hassle for me to get to the airport that early in SEA.

Is 30 minutes realistic?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't be weather issues in September and morning flights tend to be more frequently on time than later ones. I would probably keep the 9:41AM departure. Worst case if you miss it, they will probably be able to put you on the next DTW-CLE flight. Or, if you are desperate, you can rent a car and drive it. It's only about a 2.5 hour drive.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
Shouldn't be weather issues in September and morning flights tend to be more frequently on time than later ones. I would probably keep the 9:41AM departure. Worst case if you miss it, they will probably be able to put you on the next DTW-CLE flight. Or, if you are desperate, you can rent a car and drive it. It's only about a 2.5 hour drive.
Thanks...I came to pretty much the same conclusion. I am going home to visit my mother...so I am in no rush to get there.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I just came into DTW from AMS and was impressed with the speed of BE luggage being delivered on #3. LHR landed about the same time we did we had a closer gate to immigrations but I got through BE quickly and I think my suitcase was maybe #5.

Too bad there are no options to catch an earlier flight to OKC.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:49 pm

Hi everyone,

In September I am flying YYZ-DTW (DL4023 arriving 2:27pm) and DTW-ICN (DL 159 leaving 3:49, delta both flights. I got on a really cheap (price error?) deal in May.

Delta has changed my flight information from what I booked, and now my connection time is 122 min.

This is cutting it a bit too close for me, as I will have to recheck my luggage I believe. The delta website said they will only rebook you on another flight (for free) if they change your time by over an hour. Since I am still over the minimum connection time, does anyone know how Delta will react if I push for a free flight change to an earlier flight?

Thanks
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by slowtyper
Hi everyone,

In September I am flying YYZ-DTW (DL4023 arriving 2:27pm) and DTW-ICN (DL 159 leaving 3:49, delta both flights. I got on a really cheap (price error?) deal in May.

Delta has changed my flight information from what I booked, and now my connection time is 122 min.

This is cutting it a bit too close for me, as I will have to recheck my luggage I believe. The delta website said they will only rebook you on another flight (for free) if they change your time by over an hour. Since I am still over the minimum connection time, does anyone know how Delta will react if I push for a free flight change to an earlier flight?

Thanks
Probably not, but what were the old flight times? You now have 82 minutes, NOT 122, but it's still legal.

Why would you need to recheck bags?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Hi everyone,

Thanks
I am a frequent YYZ-US-Asia flyer, You have more than enough time.

THERE IS NO NEED TO RECHECK AT DTW

This is the process:

You check in at YYZ T3, leave yourself time (2 hrs is safe unless it is Monday morning)

Your bags are tagged then you take them with you to clear US CBP immigration and customs prior to YYZ departure. After celaring CBP you drop you checked bags onto the conveyor. Next time you see your bags will in ICN.

You then clear CATSA flight security.

You are then in the US departure zone. You are deemed to have entered US at this point.

Your DTW arrival will be a domestic arrival, most likely at C gates.

You head to main terminal, A gates and head to ICN departure gate (should be gate 30-40).

Very easy.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:19 am

I have never been denied a request for a change of flight to one with a longer connection once Delta has initiated a schedule change off the original. I haven't always had that luck on my first call ( hang up and call again) and sometimes it takes a little persuasion and kind whining ...but I have had good luck changing flights without the change fee when I ask nicely and explain the new shorter connection times make me nervous.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:03 pm

Sorry I was mistaken about having to recheck my bag. Last year I flew direct from YYZ-ICN and on the way back, had a transfer in Chicago and I had to recheck my bags through security again. I assumed it was a new thing with the US.

Also sorry about the wrong time...on my delta airlines account, it says layover time: 1 hr 22 min layover in detroit, but yes, 82 min is correct.

Thanks for your advice and dealing with my incorrect facts I presented.

I called Delta and they very easily put me on a flight one hour earlier. I am a nervous flyer when it comes to being early and having lots of time, so it put me at ease even if it wasn't necessary.

Thanks FTers! Thanks also for the tip on this deal I got. Although I didn't get it from FT, I'm positive the tip originated here!

Last edited by slowtyper; Jul 31, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is how the return Asia-US-YYZ works

You arrive at your US port of entry, last time for you it was ORD and this time DTW.

You enter US immigration. DTW have the kiosk terminal which works for Canadian passports as well. You scan passport, answer question (same questions as the blue form), the terminal takes a photo of you, you are then issued a receipt which you take to a CBP officer and you are then clear to enter US.

At ICN when you check you bags, you should get a purple tag onto your bag which designate it as international transit baggage. This eliminates having to claim you bag, go through US customs with them and then re-check them. You will see them put the purple tag on and staple receipt for the bags as well as part of the purple tag onto your DTW YYZ boarding pass. This is a new system that have just been implemented at ATL and DTW that I have used as of late 2013 for internation arrival to international departure transit baggage.

After you exit customs, you will be subjected to a TSA flight security check, after that you will be in the main terminal where the A gates are. DTW YYZ flights are usually at the C gates. The tunnel to C gates is not far from where you enter the terminal.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think you should be fine barring delays. However if you are that worried it can't hurt to ask for another flight assuming you do your homework and know what that flight option would be.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry I was mistaken about having to recheck my bag. Last year I flew direct from YYZ-ICN and on the way back, had a transfer in Chicago and I had to recheck my bags through security again. I assumed it was a new thing with the US.

Also sorry about the wrong time...on my delta airlines account, it says layover time: 1 hr 22 min layover in detroit, but yes, 82 min is correct.

Thanks for your advice and dealing with my incorrect facts I presented.

I called Delta and they very easily put me on a flight one hour earlier. I am a nervous flyer when it comes to being early and having lots of time, so it put me at ease even if it wasn't necessary.

Thanks FTers! Thanks also for the tip on this deal I got. Although I didn't get it from FT, I'm positive the tip originated here!
Are you on DL4169 or earlier? 4169 is a CRJ900, anything earlier was CRJ200 except the 6am.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:41 am

Enough DTW transit time

Hi this is my first time taking Delta via DTW, flight originating from SEA arriving at 6:59pm and connecting flight is at 7:46pm towards BWI.
Is 47minutes enough connection time ?

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Oct 22, 2014 at 6:21 am Reason: Merged into the existing thread on this subject

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.