Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 15, 06, 2:02 pm   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat, Hertz PC & National EE, Hilton Gold. Future Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Delta Employee Travel Benefits - What Are the Details?

Hello all, as a long time United guy that has flown exactly 3 segments on Delta ever (all enjoyable ), I don't know much about airline policies. I've done a few searches but have not found anything current on this topic. I have a family member that is being considered for a nice opportunity at Delta. As a Flyertalk guy, of course the only thing I want to know about is the travel benefits. My questions are:

1. My understanding is that employees have unlimited space-available travel domestically, with a few restrictions on international flights. How does this work?

2. Are benefits the same for all employees, or do they vary for management? If so, how does it differ?

3. Spousal, Family & Friends travel: is it allowed? How does it work? Can any of those people (spouse, parents, siblings, friends) travel without the employee? Are there restrictions on the number of flights, etc.?

4. It is my understanding that employee travel is cleared from the front of the plane to the back (First > Business > Coach) , is this correct?

Thanks for the help, Ken.
TravelManKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 06, 2:44 pm   #2
J-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelManKen View Post
1. My understanding is that employees have unlimited space-available travel domestically, with a few restrictions on international flights. How does this work?
Unlimited space available domestic for the employee, and (I belive) parents, spouse, kids until a certain age.

International is space available, with a certain number of days per year (varies by which subsidiary of Delta you work for). The number also varies for employee and family members. Everyone pays taxes on Int'l flights. If you go beyond your alloted days, I've heard you can pay ZED Fare.

Quote:
2. Are benefits the same for all employees, or do they vary for management? If so, how does it differ?
That would depend on who your relative is working for. Is it Delta? Or a Delta Connection? I don't know anything about what benefits upper management get.

Quote:
3. Spousal, Family & Friends travel: is it allowed? How does it work? Can any of those people (spouse, parents, siblings, friends) travel without the employee? Are there restrictions on the number of flights, etc.?
Spouse, parents, kids, (or one "companion" in leiu of a spouse) get full benefits. Parents/kids/companion may be somewhat restricted as far as number of days, or having to pay taxes.

There are a set number of Buddy Passes (I think it's 6, but not 100% sure) that the employee gets per year. Those can be given to anyone, employee doesn't have to travel with them. They have to pay a fee plus taxes, usually ends up $100-150, depending on route.

Quote:
4. It is my understanding that employee travel is cleared from the front of the plane to the back (First > Business > Coach) , is this correct?
You're cleared into the highest available class of service that you are eligible for. Delta only offers two classes of service.
J-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 06, 2:45 pm   #3

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
I don't know the details, but I'm pretty sure employees are cleared into coach, then into First/Business. I'm pretty sure employees don't displace paying or upgrading business class passengers, BUT employees can get business class seats on day-of-travel, while paying passengers are not allowed to upgrade on day-of-travel. This is a point of contention with many people on this board. Personally, I don't begrudge airlines offering their employees travel benefits, even if that occasionally puts me in back.

I've never seen the so-called "Employee class" cabins UA people complain about. Generally, most, if not all of the pax in business and first are paying passengers and FAMs (joy ) Employees in those cabins are always very discreet (and generally speaking, the most pleasant passengers on the aircraft!)
Old Dec 15, 06, 2:56 pm   #4
J-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
I don't know the details, but I'm pretty sure employees are cleared into coach, then into First/Business.
No... employees list for whatever classes of service they are eligible for and are cleared directly from the standby list into the highest space available class.

They are cleared after all upgrades (Elite and paid) and paid standby have been processed. If there are F seats, the most senior employee is cleared there. If no F seats, all employees clear into Y.

Quote:
BUT employees can get business class seats on day-of-travel, while paying passengers are not allowed to upgrade on day-of-travel.
This is correct.

Quote:
Employees in those cabins are always very discreet (and generally speaking, the most pleasant passengers on the aircraft!)
Employees are some of the most pleasant people I could ever ask to sit next to, regardless of cabin. I wish I could put a request in with DL to only seat me next to employees
Old Dec 15, 06, 3:14 pm   #5
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat, Hertz PC & National EE, Hilton Gold. Future Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M View Post
Is it Delta? Or a Delta Connection?
Delta corporate.

Thanks for the info
TravelManKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 06, 3:20 pm   #6
J-M

Quote:
Delta corporate.

Thanks for the info
Ok, then any benefits I've listed will be correct, if not better. The ones I was listing were for DL-owned subsidiary, which is the same as Mainline DL front-staff employees.
Old Dec 15, 06, 3:32 pm   #7

Programs: SPG Plat
I am single so I will speak for my own benefits because they vary a little once you add a spouse.

Quote:
Hello all, as a long time United guy that has flown exactly 3 segments on Delta ever (all enjoyable ), I don't know much about airline policies. I've done a few searches but have not found anything current on this topic. I have a family member that is being considered for a nice opportunity at Delta. As a Flyertalk guy, of course the only thing I want to know about is the travel benefits. My questions are:

Unlimted domestic travel days, six priority vacation travel days (you get a higher standby priority) and 18 transoceanic travel days. No fee for domestic and intl taxes are payroll deducted. My parents get 18 domestic travel days, 6 vacation days and 18 transoceanic.

If we go over our allotment there is a fine, $150 or $300, I can't remember. We do not have ZED fares (yet)

It depends on the level of management you are speaking of. Most everyone has the same flight benefits.

Spouses, minor dependant children (under 21 or older I think if in school) and parents are eligble under IRS rules to travel complimentary. Non dependant children get family passes and there is a fee involved similar to a buddy pass fee. We get 8 F&F or buddy passes a year. Everyone can travel without the employee but you'd better be darned sure they don't cause any grief or your bennies will get suspended. Parents get a lower priority when they travel without the employee. If they use the wrong priority your subject to that same fine I mentioned earlier.

Yes we are allowed to stand by for the forward cabin first with a few restrictions, dress code and no children uner 8 years of age. What a wonderful perk this is and one I know a value very highly.

The basics of how it works are as follows.

We have different prioriity codes that we can use, company business, family emergency, vacation, honor roll (for getting good letters hint hint, general, parents/retirees, buddy passes/other airline employees. Within those priorities you are cleared by seniority. For example, buddy pass riders use the employees seniority date but are in the lowest category

Employees can designate a companion to travel rather than a spouse. Their parents lose their vacation priority passes and maybe some international days. The companion has to pay the same fees as the non dependant child or BP riders.

Thanks for the help, Ken.
Old Dec 16, 06, 12:49 am   #8

Programs: Delta
unless your Michelle Burns then you try and get positive space tickets for life up front

Last edited by dank313; Dec 16, 06 at 12:50 am.. Reason: not finished
dank313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 06, 11:28 am   #9

Programs: DL Plat, BA, UA
My partner often flies with a buddy pass as we know quite a few DL employees. Its easier for him as he's self-employed and doesn't have to worry about not making a flight when loads are high. I've never used one. I don't have the time flexibility. He usually talks with DL people he knows who can call an internal number and check loads for him before going to the airport. Once at the airport, he is listed on the standby screen and waits; he also always has an alternative routing in my just in case.

Yes we are allowed to stand by for the forward cabin first with a few restrictions, dress code and no children uner 8 years of age. What a wonderful perk this is and one I know a value very highly.

I knew about the dress code as my partner makes sure he's dressed appropriately for first. I wasn't aware of the children's age limit.

For example, buddy pass riders use the employees seniority date but are in the lowest category

He usually uses passes from a friend who has worked with first Western,then Delta since the 60's. I've heard that employees of other airlines are placed behind DL buddy passes. I wonder if there is any prioritization then by airline? (i.e., Skyteam members above others - especially US Air )

Do the flight benefits continues to retirement?
brazzleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 06, 11:40 am   #10

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
There did at least used to be some positive space tickets for DL long time employees. Not sure if those exist at all anymore, but my family member never flew standby as I recall. (Of course by the time I can recall he had probably been with DL 40 or a predeessor company 40 years at LEAST!)
CarolDisney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 06, 1:18 pm   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 View Post
There did at least used to be some positive space tickets for DL long time employees. Not sure if those exist at all anymore, but my family member never flew standby as I recall. (Of course by the time I can recall he had probably been with DL 40 or a predeessor company 40 years at LEAST!)

In my 19 years there has never been positive space unless you are higher management.
Old Dec 16, 06, 1:20 pm   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazzleman View Post
He usually uses passes from a friend who has worked with first Western,then Delta since the 60's. I've heard that employees of other airlines are placed behind DL buddy passes. I wonder if there is any prioritization then by airline? (i.e., Skyteam members above others - especially US Air )

Other airline employees have the same priority as the buddy pass rideres. Waht places them at the bottom is the employment date. They get the day of travel date as an employment date. No prioritzation by airlines.

Flight benefits do continue into retirement and they continue to recieve buddy passes.
Old Dec 16, 06, 1:20 pm   #13

Quote:

Other airline employees have the same priority as the buddy pass rideres. Waht places them at the bottom is the employment date. They get the day of travel date as an employment date. No prioritzation by airlines.

Flight benefits do continue into retirement and they continue to recieve buddy passes.
Old Dec 16, 06, 1:20 pm   #14

Quote:

Other airline employees have the same priority as the buddy pass rideres. What places them at the bottom is the employment date. They get the day of travel date as an employment date. No prioritzation by airlines.

Old Mar 20, 07, 9:41 pm   #15
Suspended

crew members (deadhead)

When you see a Delta employee in uniform on an oversold flight, you can be sure that he's not on a non-revenue pass. He (or she) is on a positive space on that Delta flight for a company's business. Most of the time they are flight attendants and pilots who are needed on another flight. (or deadheading back to their bases). Maintenance employees going to fix a broken airplane, or other ground employees on TDY at the other cities.
twinjalanugraha is offline   Reply With Quote