Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 2005, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Platinum, WN, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, BWGCCI, Priority Club
45 minute connection in LAX terminal 2 to 3

Did a search but did not find an answer to my question. I also went to the LAX web site to view their terminal map.

I'm planning a flight in January from RDU to RNO thru LAX on NW connecting to AS for the RNO segment. Two flights are available--(#1) with a 45 minute connection and (#2) with 1 hour and 23 minute connection. I prefer the flight with the 45 minute connection since it arrives in RNO at 3:21pm r/t 7:54pm. Is 45 minutes enough time to arrive at terminal 2 and depart at terminal 3? Do I have to go thru security at terminal 3 in this situation or do I remain airside for the connection.

I have used LAX several times but always arrived and departed on the same airline at terminal 1 or 2. Thanks for your help.

Happy New Year to all FTers. Your help in 2004 made it possible for me to go from no status to platinum status in one year.
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
You will have to exit security and re-enter a secured area in order to get to Terminal 3. I'd go with the longer connection, just to be safe.

You can also use this website to see approx. wait times for the time you'll be transiting from Term. 2 to 3 to aide you in your decision:

http://waittime.tsa.dhs.gov/stateRes...&submit=SUBMIT

aloha
Old Jan 1, 2005, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks slippahs for the quick reply. I'll use the longer connection. Better to be safe in case the MSP/LAX flight is late.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 8:41 pm

Programs: NW Plat, HH Sliver, Mariott Silver
Last year I did a MEM-LAX on NW and then switched to AS LAX-SEA. We had a 90 minutes and made it to the gate in 120! But we lucked out as the AS flight was delayed we were the last two people getting on the plane. I now try to avoid LAX whenever possible
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
By the way, what day and time of day are you flying?
Old Jan 3, 2005, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slippahs
By the way, what day and time of day are you flying?
Tuesday, January 18
(1) Arrive LAX from MSP 1:15pm Depart LAX for RNO 2:00pm or
(2) Arrive LAX from DTW 5:10pm Depart LAX for RNO 6:33pm

I saw some other posts indicating more crowded conditions in the afternoon because of arriving intl flights. Is that correct?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:27 am

I will be arriving at T5 from ATL at 12:25 PM. (supposedly ) I have a flight on Cathay Pacific at 1:55 PM. I will need to pick up my luggage from the DL flight and check-in with CX at Aisle C at a counter between C13-C26. Should I be worried about making this connection from the domestic to the international flight?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 11:55 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Well, you can ask DL to check your luggage all the way through, which I'd highly recommend. Have your CX ticket ready to show it to the agent.

It might take you some effort (i.e. asking for a supervisor and/or a more senior agent, many do not know how to enter the additional flights in the PBT - even if flying on two sets of DL tickets!), but this seems to be the only way to give you a *chance* to catch that CX flight.

Assuming the CX flight is full, they will probably enforce their check-in time limits - and if you happen to spend 30 minutes after your arrival until you have your bags in hand, you won't even be anywhere near Bradley yet...

If I were you, I would refrain from arriving that late into LAX as this is really asking for trouble. And there are certainly earlier flights out of ATL.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Originally Posted by rcs85551
If I were you, I would refrain from arriving that late into LAX as this is really asking for trouble. And there are certainly earlier flights out of ATL.
I agree with rcs85551. If your flight from ATL is right on time, if baggage service is prompt, if you are traveling light enough to be able to walk fast to the international terminal (or catch the bus immediately), if Cathay isn't going by the book on check-in times and if security lines aren't too long, you might make your flight. But that's too many if's.

Checking your bag all the way through would help, but make sure you are within the minimum transfer time if you opt for that.

Your best bet would be to try to leave earlier out of ATL.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by donlind
Your best bet would be to try to leave earlier out of ATL.
I agree.....even if it means giving up a "chance" at flying in business class on a 777 on DL171. FWIW, I say "chance" as they subbed a 763 for the 777 on my most recent flight.....which resulted in approx. 13 or so passengers getting downgraded....very likely into poor coach seats given how full the flight was.

However, it all depends on if upgrader is connecting in ATL.....and if so, can get on a flight into ATL early enough for DL110 (B764 service....Dept. ATL 9:20am....Arr. LAX 11:09am) .

A.J.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 1:44 pm

Thank you all for your responses. They reinforced what I feared. I'll get an earlier flight out to LAX. And, yes, my original itinerary was through ATL in order to catch the BE seats. I'm doing first class award travel and, unfortunately, the earlier flights out of ATL were not available as anything but SkyChoice. No problem, I can endure Y if I have to do so and the fare is pretty low.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
NW to DL connection at LAX

In March, I'm flying LAS-LAX-TPA. LAS-LAX is on NW and LAX-TPA is on DL. Thanks to DL's recent schedule updates, I have a 1:20 connection. Is this enough to make an inter-terminal connection at LAX? I assume I'll have to run across the parking structure and re-enter security. I am in F on all segments, if that makes a difference.

I also now have a 53 minute connection in CVG on the outbound, but assuming no delays, that should be fine.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
It'll be tight. With F at least, you'll be able to be the first off the NW flight and then be able to use the F security line at T5, so it'll be quite a hurry, but doable. Still, I'd see about calling DL (or NW if the ticket isn't on 006 stock) and go for a flight LAS-ATL-TPA or something else (unless this a a MR - in that case, it's understandable about keeping the LAX flight).
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by mersk862
Still, I'd see about calling DL (or NW if the ticket isn't on 006 stock) and go for a flight LAS-ATL-TPA or something else (unless this a a MR - in that case, it's understandable about keeping the LAX flight).
It's actually a NW award on mostly DL metal. I may call NW and see what options I have. When booking the ticket, this was the best routing for the timing of my trip.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Rather than clearing security and sprinting, I would take the bus to the American Eagle terminal from DL...from there, you can take another bus to the NW terminal and stay inside of security..... still tight, but totally doable

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.