Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:33 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by Bestbob
Yes, I do.
If your AS flight is a code share on AmericanEagle, I'd recommend taking the (inside security) shuttle bus to T2, taking the shorter connection at LAX, and enjoying the WCs at MSP for the longer connection. The WC at LAX is rather old and small and can be rather cramped at peak times. MSP has a much newer WC in MSP (C) and soup in the F/G club.

Last edited by ed1; Mar 8, 2008 at 1:44 pm
Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH Silver, Marriott Rewards
Precise language can indeed be everything...

Thanks to everyone for the various comments... I've indeed learned more than expected about getting through LAX from the AmericanEagle commuter (I erred in the OP calling it "Alaska") to the NWA flight.

My original thought was more about time to connect... whether at LAX I might need more than just over an hour to make the connection... my personal thinking is to plan connections always assuming at least a 30 minute delay on arrival (diespite official policy) so that I try to give myself a minimum of 60 minutes at an airport.. and 90 doesn't bother me if schedule permits, especially where there is a World Club or similar to work from.

Never even thought about the possibility of a second security clearance... good to see the confirmation that that was not necessary.

Looks as if I'll decide on the longer time in LAX knowing that there are many later flights from MSP to DTW in case something creates a delay on that leg.

Thanks for the insight into LAX mysteries. I've been there once in 10 years, with no connections involved.

Originally Posted by ed1
If your AS flight is a code share on AmericanEagle, I'd recommend taking the (inside security) shuttle bus to T2, taking the shorter connection at LAX, and enjoying the WCs at MSP for the longer connection. The WC at LAX is rather old and small and can be rather cramped at peak times. MSP has a much newer WC in MSP (C) and soup in the F/G club.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 5:06 pm
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by Bestbob
Precise language can indeed be everything...

Thanks to everyone for the various comments... I've indeed learned more than expected about getting through LAX from the AmericanEagle commuter (I erred in the OP calling it "Alaska") to the NWA flight.

My original thought was more about time to connect... whether at LAX I might need more than just over an hour to make the connection... my personal thinking is to plan connections always assuming at least a 30 minute delay on arrival (diespite official policy) so that I try to give myself a minimum of 60 minutes at an airport.. and 90 doesn't bother me if schedule permits, especially where there is a World Club or similar to work from.

Never even thought about the possibility of a second security clearance... good to see the confirmation that that was not necessary.

Looks as if I'll decide on the longer time in LAX knowing that there are many later flights from MSP to DTW in case something creates a delay on that leg.

Thanks for the insight into LAX mysteries. I've been there once in 10 years, with no connections involved.
I always like to schedule decent connection times, when available, especially if there's a WC or partner club available, usually taking the last connection offered, all other things being equal. The LAX WC is one of my least favorite WCs, but the staff was great on my two visits there last year. I remembered very little about LAX, since the only other time flying there on NW was on a couple of F award tickets in the late '80s. I know we visited the LAX and MSP WCs then, but I really didn't remember much about the airport or WC. My TPA-MEM-LAX-DTW-PVD routing with a PVD-MSP-LAX-DTW-TPA return, last Sep., gave me lots of time to explore LAX, especially the WC, CRC, and PC and the connecting/nonconnecting terminal situations there.
Old May 14, 2009, 5:06 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, Amex Delta Reserve & Various Cars
LAX Connection Time Question

I am flying into LAX Terminal 3 on Alaskan Air and have a connection time of 1 hour 15 minutes to get to my connecting Delta flight in Terminal 5. I tried to get flights changed but Delta says this is a legal connection time and can't help. Does anybody have any experience in making a similar connection like this?

(Before you ask why I booked the flight like this ... I forgot to mention that this is a re-booking by Delta, as my direct flight from Anchorage to Atlanta was canceled and replaced by Anchorage/LAX/Atlanta.)

Last edited by skmwalden; May 14, 2009 at 5:19 am
Old May 14, 2009, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by skmwalden
I am flying into LAX Terminal 3 on Alaskan Air and have a connection time of 1 hour 15 minutes to get to my connecting Delta flight in Terminal 5. I tried to get flights changed but Delta says this is a legal connection time and can't help. Does anybody have any experience in making a similar connection like this?

(Before you ask why I booked the flight like this ... I forgot to mention that this is a re-booking by Delta, as my direct flight from Anchorage to Atlanta was canceled and replaced by Anchorage/LAX/Atlanta.)
You should be fine. You'll have to leave Terminal 3 and either catch the terminal connection shuttle bus (on the lower level outside of baggage claim) or you can walk across the parking lots. You will have to clear security again.

http://www.iflylax.com/lax_map0.html
Old May 14, 2009, 7:49 am

don't walk across the parking structure. as soon as you get out of T3, turn right, and stay on the sidewalk past the int'l terminal and T4. that way, you won't have to dodge any cars.

but don't dawdle. the cutoff for re-checking bags is 45 minutes, and be at the gate 30 minutes prior to departure. i don't know if bags will be checked through (ask!). security at T5 can be a few minutes, or the line can go all the way to T6.

Last edited by crabbing; May 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm Reason: i could be wrong about the bags.
Old May 14, 2009, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by crabbing
they will NOT be checked through
Why not? Don't DL and AS now have interline baggage agreements? I know there are no problems checking bags through from AS to NW...
Old May 14, 2009, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by GBadger
Why not? Don't DL and AS now have interline baggage agreements? I know there are no problems checking bags through from AS to NW...
There is an interline agreement.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:21 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
An hour and fifteen minutes could be a bit tight for the baggage to make your connecting flight. I have made similar connections myself quite a few times, and I always make the flight myself. My bags, however, have tended to not make interline connections about a third of the time when there is less than 90 minutes allowed. I may just be unlucky and YMMV, as always.
Old May 15, 2009, 4:29 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Priority Club, Amex Delta Reserve & Various Cars
Folks, thanks for all the information.

Bottom line - Looks like I might make the connection ... but our bags might not. I guess I can live with that as long as the bags eventually show up on my door step.
Old May 19, 2009, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Schedule Change - 39 minute connection

Made these reservations for a neighbor (in her 70's and very hard of hearing). The Delta schedule change now has a 39 minute connection FL 1735 SLC/LAX connection to FL 1767 LAX/KOA.

Is this too tight? Do I need to have her contact DL to try and change to an earlier flight without fees? In the case of a schedule change, is DL like AA where you can request a ticket refund?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
DL to KE - One hour connection in LAX is enough?

I just booked an award reservation for a cousin of mine.

He's flying DL's non-stop FLL-LAX, arriving in LAX at 9:55 AM. His next flight is on KE to ICN and it leaves at 11:00 AM.

Do you think one hour is enough to connect from T4 to TBIT? His luggage should be checked through.

How's TBIT that time of the day? I know it's a zoo late at night.

Thanks in advance ^
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Do you have to do a separate check-in for KE? I know I had to when I flew SJC-LAX-ICN a few years ago (although that could have been because my first leg was on American Eagle...).

If so, that could make this more troublesome.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I think LAX has 1:30 minimum connection time for domestic-international. If they sell you this on one ticket, it may be doable, but will be a rush. Do not attempt this on separate tickets!
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:51 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I wouldn't... seeing you need to exit security at T5, get to TBIT by bus or walking, re-check in with KE and make sure the bags are logged, then re-clear security at TBIT... and then I'm guessing it will be a bus gate for the plane... any little hiccup will blow his itin... might want to pose that question in the KE forum to see what they would do for him if he does miss the 11am flight.

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
I just booked an award reservation for a cousin of mine.

He's flying DL's non-stop FLL-LAX, arriving in LAX at 9:55 AM. His next flight is on KE to ICN and it leaves at 11:00 AM.

Do you think one hour is enough to connect from T4 to TBIT? His luggage should be checked through.

How's TBIT that time of the day? I know it's a zoo late at night.

Thanks in advance ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.