Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
In March, I'm flying LAS-LAX-TPA. LAS-LAX is on NW and LAX-TPA is on DL. Thanks to DL's recent schedule updates, I have a 1:20 connection. Is this enough to make an inter-terminal connection at LAX? I assume I'll have to run across the parking structure and re-enter security. I am in F on all segments, if that makes a difference.

I also now have a 53 minute connection in CVG on the outbound, but assuming no delays, that should be fine.
Assuming no substantial delays take place, it should be quite easy to make such a connection assuming interline checked baggage (or no checked baggage) and the use of Medallion/F security line. ^

If you want to make connections within the sterile area, you could see if you could change to one of DL's LAS-LAX and connect to TPA, or LAS-ATL-TPA, or LAS-SLC-TPA, or LAS-CVG-TPA.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by mizzou miles
Rather than clearing security and sprinting, I would take the bus to the American Eagle terminal from DL...from there, you can take another bus to the NW terminal and stay inside of security..... still tight, but totally doable
My connection is actually the other way around (NW to DL). I wasn't aware that there is a bus between the NW terminal and the eAAgle terminal. I'll have to check that out.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:10 pm

There should be a bus to the Eagle terminal as DL, NW and CO all codeshare with them. That said, I don't know if the person at the bus door in the NW terminal will let you on the bus to Eagle with a DL BP. You enter from the airside and I want to say they check to make sure you are headed the right way....without an AA BP Who knows? ....just a thought.

In any case, if you aren't dragging too much luggage, the walk across the parking garage can't be more than 5 min. to DL so you should have plenty of time barring any serious delays.
Old Dec 12, 2006, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I will have carry-on only, so I think for now I will just brave the connection.

Thanks for the advice!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA, CO, B6, UA, US, EI
30 min connection at LAX

Hi Delta SkyMiles folks,

I haven't been to this site in some time, but have just joined to ask this group a question. Thanks for indulging me:

I plan to purchase the following for a Sunday in April:

DL 4910 (ASA) lv. PSP 5:40a arr LAX 6:30a
DL 148 lv. LAX 7:00a arr JFK 3:20p

The rep I just spoke with claims the minimum connecting time for DL-DL domestic at LAX is 70 mins (!! - but it's for sale, no?). 30 mins is tight, but I'm alright with it since it's LAX. My only concern is whether these Regional Jets park at the terminal or not. I want to be sure they don't park remotely and bus you in like Eagle and UAX do/did. The gate listed on the status page was a T5 gate, but that doesn't mean it's not a bus sitting there. I would be less inclined to have such a tight connection if there were more travel involved than just walking down the concourse.

Thanks very much!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Could be very risky - if one of the flights is T6 and the other T5, it will be a very tough connection, even with the airside connector between T6 and T5 now being open. Would the 0645 departure from PSP to SLC, getting into JFK at 1648 fit your schedule? The 47 in SLC is quite easy; much more comfortable than 30 minutes in LAX.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk A Tree!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by mersk862
Could be very risky - if one of the flights is T6 and the other T5, it will be a very tough connection, even with the airside connector between T6 and T5 now being open. Would the 0645 departure from PSP to SLC, getting into JFK at 1648 fit your schedule? The 47 in SLC is quite easy; much more comfortable than 30 minutes in LAX.

Oh, and welcome to FlyerTalk A Tree!
Thanks so much!

This is one of those trying to have my cake and eat it too itineraries. I will be at a wedding in PSP Saturday night and want to be in the Bronx at 7pm Sunday. I probably should have specified the date--I see a 25 minute connecting time in SLC for that day (April 15). I'll keep doing my homework though... I like this type of problem, it's just stressful to actually rely on an airline/mother nature to get you somewhere without a lot of wiggle room (as if I need to tell people around here!)
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:00 pm

That's a tight connection, although you have options if you run into problems.

If the PSP-LAX flight is running late, you probably could get them to rebook you on PSP-SLC-JFK, and if you don't make it at LAX, there's a JFK flight a couple of hours later.

But all the operations are at Terminal 5/6, which are connected beyond security, so fortunately there would be no bussing involved.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:09 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, CO, HH, PP
Originally Posted by A Tree
Thanks so much!

This is one of those trying to have my cake and eat it too itineraries. I will be at a wedding in PSP Saturday night and want to be in the Bronx at 7pm Sunday. I probably should have specified the date--I see a 25 minute connecting time in SLC for that day (April 15). I'll keep doing my homework though... I like this type of problem, it's just stressful to actually rely on an airline/mother nature to get you somewhere without a lot of wiggle room (as if I need to tell people around here!)
I would be a lot more comfortable with a 25 Min connection in SLC than 30 Min at LAX. Assuming your incoming flight is on time you can go from any DL gate to another in about 15 min at SLC.

Welcome to FT! ^
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
I just recently booked a legal connex in LAX that's only about 42 minutes...so I'm not sure where the 70 min figure comes in.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by GreerApproach
I just recently booked a legal connex in LAX that's only about 42 minutes...so I'm not sure where the 70 min figure comes in.
My guess is that it's actually 17 minutes, although I thought I verified by saying "seven-zero?" (incredulously). We were having some communiction problems. Maybe she asked someone and heard incorrectly (I was on hold for a moment).
Old Feb 28, 2007, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by A Tree
My guess is that it's actually 17 minutes, although I thought I verified by saying "seven-zero?" (incredulously). We were having some communiction problems. Maybe she asked someone and heard incorrectly (I was on hold for a moment).
Minimum connecting times are not published in the current pdf schedule. I did see a 2003 delta timetable that listed 30 mins for LAX domestic-domestic.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:31 pm

LAX connection - how much time needed?

I'm going to Tahiti for my honeymoon and need some advice about booking a flight. The AF flight to PPT leaves out of LAX at 10:30 pm. There's a flight ATL-LAX that gets in at 7:40 pm. Is this enough time, or should we be getting in earlier? If we miss this flight, there's not another one for 4 days, plus the fact that it's our honeymoon, so I want to be as sure as possible that we'll make it (without spending all day in LAX either). I've never been to LAX (or PPT for that matter), and I would really appreciate some advice.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by amarain
I'm going to Tahiti for my honeymoon and need some advice about booking a flight. The AF flight to PPT leaves out of LAX at 10:30 pm. There's a flight ATL-LAX that gets in at 7:40 pm. Is this enough time, or should we be getting in earlier? If we miss this flight, there's not another one for 4 days, plus the fact that it's our honeymoon, so I want to be as sure as possible that we'll make it (without spending all day in LAX either). I've never been to LAX (or PPT for that matter), and I would really appreciate some advice.
2:50 should be plenty of time. You don't have to do any customs or anything, so that's good.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:39 pm

if you're thinking of getting travel insurance, that could protect you in the event of a missed connection. we usually get it on international itineraries. we've had good luck with insuremytrip.com for comparing policies. read read read all details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.