Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I am at 71430. In August I flew TLV-FCO-ATL-FLL on M Class. On the TLV-FCO-TLV segments Delta put me on El Al. I did not request this, would have been just as happy on Alitalia (or flying through CDG on Air France) but apparently this was the least expensive way for Delta. (It did not lower my price).

Because Delta preferred that I fly El Al instead of a SkyTeam partner, I did not receive any MQM's for those segments. If it had been Alitalia I would have gotten 4254 MQM's and gone over the 75,000.

I requested them to credit me with the MQM's and they flat out refused.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:56 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
What a shame. I hope you get it. I'd send Robert Borden at Delta a letter today.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 11:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rssrsvp:
Begging will not help. SGB!</font>
paper;

If you take Rssrsvp's advice you are guaranteed to walk away unhappy.

While Rssrsvp's advice may have been valid in past years, particularly when the shortfall exceeded several thousand miles or more, I suggest you try anyway.

With Deltas acknowledgement that they have not properly focused on customer service issues since 9/11, you may have a chance. Especially if you dont assume a threatening (Do what I ask or I take my business to AirTran) demeanor.

You have nothing to lose by trying and you might just get lucky.

First thing I would do is review your 2003 activity to make sure all earned MQMs have been properly credited. If your MQM count is accurate I would then suggest writing a letter to the new CEO with your request. Please let us know what happens.

added note:
It appears that Delta may be easing up a bit as they move into 2004.

This thread may be early evidence of that emerging trend.

The SSM supporters are angry at Delta and would more often than not prefer to see further examples of customer discontent and mistreatment. They are emotionally biased and do not always offer balanced replies, advice and commentary.

[This message has been edited by BertBamboo (edited Dec 08, 2003).]
Old Dec 8, 2003, 12:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by paper:
Hi, checked the balance in my account. I am 35 MQM mile short to get 75000 MQM level, which will allow me to get 15000 MQM to next year. Anyway to get that without flying? or I should just call Delta and beg them?</font>
Before you beg them, why not just try calling Delta and honestly explain your situation with them? Speak to a supervisor if necessary. Call several times if necessary.

Hopefully, they will either grant you the extra 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles without you having to get the extra 36 Medallion Qualification Miles, or maybe they may at least impart to you some way on how to earn those extra 36 Medallion Qualification Miles for as little cost as possible.

Give it a try. What is the worst that could happen, and what have you got to lose?
Old Dec 8, 2003, 12:56 pm

I just called Delta and told them the story frankly. Guess what, the answer was a flat out big "NO". They did not even try to comfort me a bit. I guess I am very happy now.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BertBamboo:
paper;

If you take Rssrsvp's advice you are guaranteed to walk away unhappy.

While Rssrsvp's advice may have been valid in past years, particularly when the shortfall exceeded several thousand miles or more, I suggest you try anyway.
</font>
Bert, my wife was turned down for GM once when she was less than 100 miles short. SGB is simply that. Unless they announce a policy that will benefit a large group of members, paper will be out of luck. I am sorry that you view my response as being negative, as I was only being a realist based on DL's past history.

Old Dec 8, 2003, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by paper:
I just called Delta and told them the story frankly. Guess what, the answer was a flat out big "NO". They did not even try to comfort me a bit. I guess I am very happy now.</font>
I guess Delta Air Lines believes that the loss of 36 Medallion Qualification Miles is only on paper.

I apologize, paper. I could not resist.

Call Delta again. Dont give up.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 1:56 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
I just called Delta and told them the story frankly. Guess what, the answer was a flat out big "NO". They did not even try to comfort me a bit. I guess I am very happy now.</font>
Where do you live? 250 MQM's can be had for only $34 if you're lucky.

------------------
"Press two and the star button now" -- AA automated information by telephone, 1996
"Press two" -- AA automated information by telephone, 2003
Old Dec 8, 2003, 2:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
I think part of the problem is that there are still over three weeks left in the year. If paper had woken up from a coma on 12/31 and learned he was 36 MQMs short, he might have a case with DL. But with three weeks left to do a mini mileage run, I guess DLs position is Hey, you want the 15,000 extra MQMs? Earn em the old fashioned way by strapping your butt into one of our airline seats.
As critical as I sometimes am of DL, I cant blame them for drawing the line on this one.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 2:43 pm

I think you guys are right. Facing Delta, I have no way to win. The good thing is that there is a short trip coming up. I was going to turn it down. Now, I have to pick it up. Sucks!

Old Dec 8, 2003, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
250 MQM's can be had for only $34 if you're lucky.</font>
Personally, I have no use for the extra 250 Medallion Qualification Miles at this time, but could you please elaborate for those who can use this useful information, JS?

Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL 1.3MM/SM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
Last year a friend who had been Plat for 4 years in a row was turned down after sending a very nice letter to DL, he was 1 segment short of Plat, an oversight on his behalf, they flat out told him, NO!
Old Dec 8, 2003, 3:19 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Canarsie:
Personally, I have no use for the extra 250 Medallion Qualification Miles at this time, but could you please elaborate for those who can use this useful information, JS?

Thank you in advance.
</font>
Not sure what JS has in mind for $34, but BOS-PHL T fares are as low as ~$43 one-way, no roundtrip required, no Sat stay, no advanced purchase. Right now I can only find as low as ~$48 each way.

We have FL to thank for these fares. I flew DL BOS-PHL-BOS on Thur/Fri last week, but future business on this route goes to FL, else the low fares will vanish on the route along with FL. Besides, with my newfound FL status, I can enjoy some perks!

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited Dec 08, 2003).]
Old Dec 9, 2003, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
... but BOS-PHL T fares are as low as ~$43 one-way, no roundtrip required, no Sat stay, no advanced purchase... </font>
That is nice - only $43 one way. But, maybe he needs to get back home?

&lt;grin&gt;

Old Dec 9, 2003, 4:29 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
True, but I was commenting on JS' suggestion for cheap ways to get 250 MQM, which clearly is only a one-way flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.