Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by forkknifespoon
Thanks, you inspired me to apply using the 35k miles and 5k MQM offer + 100 statement credit. The only problem I could see is that it says that if I am identified as a AMEX card member, this offer will not be valid. Everytime I logged in, the offer would change dramatically. So I submitted it without logging in and made a new AMEX account. Anyone have experience with this? Will they still honor the offer?
Just make sure you haven't had any delta Amex within the past year
Old Dec 14, 2013, 5:22 pm

would love opinions/strategy when 81MQM to Gold

Would love some opinions for best strategy considering I made silver and am 81 MQM from Gold with Delta.

I've been pouring over threads and ITA matrix to make end of year run, but life situation isn't conducive to MRs right now. Purchasing MQM is ridiculous given I would have to pay 0.24cpm.

Then I thought, why bother trying to make Gold? why not let the 24,...K MQM roll over to next year and then do a whopping huge push to make Plat or Diamond (really would love Diamond) given the new SWU change/offer/gift when Diamond?

Am I crazy or does this make sense? I figure knowing I have Silver in hand with the rollover MQMs, then I have a whole year to max out the bonus MQMs on my Delta Amex Plat, plus flying (I could probably fly 70K at an avg of 0.45cpm kind of high), plus another card offer with MQMs attached... definitely could make platinum with diamond in the horizon.

of course, the negative is that I'd be flying all these legs as a Silver who holds an Amex card (*yawn*). Positive is that I'm not a very large person and domestic first class isn't really any different than coach for me especially if I route on non-busy legs.

Does anyone care to opine on whether I should just enjoy the holidays and let my MQMs rollover or do an MR right now?!? Appreciate everyone at flyertalk and Happy Holidays!!!!!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL GM, AmEx Plat, DL AmEx Plat, SPG Gold, National Exec
I hear you, Tryingtotravel. I was in the same situation earlier this month. I was just a little short of Gold and considered letting it all roll over to try and hit PM or maybe DM next year. Ultimately, I decided to make a quick MR since I travel a lot for work and having free Economy Comfort on domestic is a big deal for me. The rest of the Gold benefits are nice to have but not necessary (Sky Priority is helpful though).

I decided that next year I will just run a little bit of MS to boost my MQMs a bit. That in addition to my regular flying schedule should, I hope, be just enough to edge me into PM at the end of the year.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
Old Dec 14, 2013, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tryingtotravel
Would love some opinions for best strategy considering I made silver and am 81 MQM from Gold with Delta.

I've been pouring over threads and ITA matrix to make end of year run, but life situation isn't conducive to MRs right now. Purchasing MQM is ridiculous given I would have to pay 0.24cpm.

Then I thought, why bother trying to make Gold? why not let the 24,...K MQM roll over to next year and then do a whopping huge push to make Plat or Diamond (really would love Diamond) given the new SWU change/offer/gift when Diamond?

Am I crazy or does this make sense? I figure knowing I have Silver in hand with the rollover MQMs, then I have a whole year to max out the bonus MQMs on my Delta Amex Plat, plus flying (I could probably fly 70K at an avg of 0.45cpm kind of high), plus another card offer with MQMs attached... definitely could make platinum with diamond in the horizon.

of course, the negative is that I'd be flying all these legs as a Silver who holds an Amex card (*yawn*). Positive is that I'm not a very large person and domestic first class isn't really any different than coach for me especially if I route on non-busy legs.

Does anyone care to opine on whether I should just enjoy the holidays and let my MQMs rollover or do an MR right now?!? Appreciate everyone at flyertalk and Happy Holidays!!!!!
Remember that status next year will be based on MQD requirements as well as MQMs/MQSs. With lots of rollover, it will be even harder to make the MQDs needed and presumably, the new status won't be granted until either the MQD requirement or the $25,000 DL AmEx spend level has been reached (and, in the case of AmEx, reported to DL).

BTW, you have the decimal points wrong in your cpm numbers. We can only dream of getting more than four MQMs for every cent contributed to DL to purchase MQMs or being able to fly for less than a half cent per mile. You mean 2.4 and 4.5 cpm respectively, not 0.24 and 0.45.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:55 pm

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Tryingtotravel, if a MR or MQM purchase are not options then you already know your answer. Rollover.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA, Delta, Virgin, SW, AA, Alaska
Delta Mileage Run -- Need 6K MQMs

Live in San Diego, so SAN is closest but can do Orange County or LAX easily as well... limitation is I need to travel between Dec 29th- 31st
thanks
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:41 am

Looking at this thread's title, that would have been my concern over my years flying Delta, and I've just made Silver again as I weigh options and goals for 2014.

Seems to me that all my bargain-hunting instincts go out the window with MQD requirement.

If I find good deal flights like I've just completed at 6 cpm but MQD wants me to spend at least 10 cpm (base fare, too, so make that, what, 12 cpm?), then I'll always make MQM, but fall short on MQD for any level I try to reach.

Even with MQM rollovers, doesn't matter; still have to spend the $$$. (If I've got rollover from Silver MQM, and then try to make Gold on next year's spend, I'll end up with mega MQMs rolling over again! And your Silver MQM rollover dies if you don't make the next spend, right?)

So I go look at blowing some FC bucks, trying to spend up to $2500, and I get more MQMs again. (This is my retirement money going out to them, not a corporate expense account. Are they so sure they want to cut the active seniors loose like this? Well, decision made.)

Almost looks like MQM doesn't matter anymore (sure, keep an eye on your tally, to be safe) but just go ahead and spend the money at the level you want to attain, and you're in...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus Gold, Qatar Privilege Club Gold
Any news about MR now?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The forum tries not to revive very old threads. I'm going to close this and direct the recent poster to the Mileage Run forums.

discussion: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...iscussion-627/

deals: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.