Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:00 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by robtking
AMEX agent told me that after you use your new card for the first time, allow about a week for MQMs to be processed.
PS, you should probably change the name of your thread. All THE "XXX MQMs to XXX" threads are being avoided it seems!
+1 This thread will not get the attention from Amex boost savvy people. The mods are very helpful for these types of situations. I'm sure if you ask they can change your thread title (if you can't yourself).
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by mc40638
However, there is a charity link on here (do a search) where 500 USD will give you 5000 MQMs, to a maximum of 1500 MQMS (for 1500 USD). When you consider the cost (10 cents a mile) do not forget to include the tax savings (if you can make deductions) and of course the good deed 'benefit'.

The charity link will give you 5000MQM for each $500 donation, or 15,000 MQM if you do all three. I'm in a SkyClub now and haven't the link handy, it's in the Dlata forum, and there are a couple of others asking the same question that have the link in the threads. Do it quickly, expires on the 15th.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:42 pm

Only need 115 MQM to qualify for 2011. Any advice, PLEASE!!

Help, I only need 115 MQM to re-qualify for Delta Silver and I don't have any flights booked for the rest of this year. I can stay at a Hilton hotel if that would help. Please give me any advice on how to quickly get the last few miles I need to qualify for 2011.

Thanks so much!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:21 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, DL Silver
Do the search for donations. I think you can get 2500 MQM with a $250 donation. Its around the forums
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:37 am

1) Membership Rewards 50% bonus and 25K DL MQM for 50K MR Transfer
2) Earn Medallion Qualification Miles by Making Donations: Ends December 15, 2010

Also...
AMEX Delta MQM Bonus Question & Need 26 Miles For Medallion
191 MQM needed - suggestions?
4k MQM's needed for Gold
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:32 am

Need 2 Segments or 5000 MQMs - From LNK or OMA

I need 2 segments to keep my status this year or 5000 MQMs. Cannot find any cheap runs from LNK or OMA and I feel like my only option is to sign up for the AMEX card.

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
donate $500 to charity and recieve 5000 mqm

edit: tax deductible, too!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM!
Originally Posted by scobro123
I need 2 segments to keep my status this year or 5000 MQMs. Cannot find any cheap runs from LNK or OMA and I feel like my only option is to sign up for the AMEX card.

Any suggestions?
2 segments? Fly to STL via MSP. Fly to MDW via MSP. Both are super cheap right now. $140 ai. Just allow lots of extra time.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles | HHoners
DL:MSP Need 6088 MQM's to qualify for Silver : Need Help

Hi All,

I am newbie to mileage run, need some expert advice. I have read forums and articles on how to design the best possible mileage run but still having trouble executing my plan.

I need 6088 MQM’s before Dec 31, 2010 to qualify for Silver Medallion on Delta. I can fly out off Minneapolis-St. Paul (MSP) airport.

I was initially planning to upgrade my Delta Gold Amex card to platinum and get 5000 MQM point and get rest by contributing to charitable institution but that plan flopped when the Amex guy told me that the MQM’s wont be posted until 2011.

So the only option left for me is to donate $750 and get 7500 MQM’s, but that sounds expensive.

I was wondering if you guys have some suggestions on how I can get 6088 MQM’s before Dec 31, 2010 to qualify for Silver Medallion.

I am up for Mileage run if someone can help me design one.

Thanks everyone in advance.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moibm
So the only option left for me is to donate $750 and get 7500 MQM’s, but that sounds expensive.
It is somewhat expensive, but it might be your best option.

Unfortunately, you will be departing from a hub of Delta Air Lines, where bargains are rare. If you take what is known as a positioning flight to an origination airport where you can take a mileage run, it is not unusual for the positioning flight to render the actual mileage run pointless. Especially at this time of year around the holiday season, you will not find too many viable options.

I hope someone else proves me wrong...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:25 pm

Thank you all for the replies. I checked into the Hilton MQM promotion but it expired on Dec. 10th. Does anyone know if I would receive ANY MQM if I stay at a Hilton this week?

I can't really do the $250 donation right now and signing up for a credit card isn't possible for us right now as we are trying to buy a new house and can't have another credit card application on our credit.

Any other suggestions? Are there any websites that give you MQM for purchasing items or any hotel offers out there? Thanks for any additional help!!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:30 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
$250 is about as cheap as it get's for quick MQMs - if you can't afford that, wait till next year.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by momtoty2001
Thank you all for the replies. I checked into the Hilton MQM promotion but it expired on Dec. 10th. Does anyone know if I would receive ANY MQM if I stay at a Hilton this week?
Why would you get MQMs this week? Dec 10th was last week. The MQM promotion expired. You can still get RDMs through Hilton but that's all the time not just for the promotion period.

If you can't donate or do a MR the only option left is transferring Amex Membership Rewards points to SkyMiles for an additional MQM bonus. You have until Dec 15 for that.

Keep in mind that even a short hop on Delta earns a minimum of 500 SkyMiles and MQMs. A mileage run sounds like your only option right now if you don't have a bunch of Amex points sitting around.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles | HHoners
Hey Canarsie,
Thanks for the response. The status has changed since I last posted. So I called Amex to upgrade my delta gold Amex to Delta Platinum Amex, and got a nice rep on the phone. He explained to me that it does not matter when the 5000 MQM miles get posted to the account as long as the first purchase is made before Dec 31, 2010, those miles will still be counted towards 2011 elite qualification status. So now I am 5000 MQM’s closer to my goal of 6088 MQM’s. Now all I need is 1088 MQM’s and I will qualify for Silver Medallion for 2011.

Looking for some cheap deals out of MSP to get those miles.

I have another question which I can’t seem to find an answer for. Let’s say I book a ticket from MSP-ATL, total miles 1810, cost $159, which will fulfill my requirement. What if I don’t fly, do I still get those miles since I booked and bought the ticket? Or do I actually have to physically fly in order to get the miles.

Clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:03 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by moibm

I have another question which I can’t seem to find an answer for. Let’s say I book a ticket from MSP-ATL, total miles 1810, cost $159, which will fulfill my requirement. What if I don’t fly, do I still get those miles since I booked and bought the ticket? Or do I actually have to physically fly in order to get the miles.

Clarification would be greatly appreciated.
You would need to fly to get the miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.