Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:16 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
If I worried everytime I had a 45 minute connection in Atlanta I'd have to quit travelling.
I had a 45-minute connection last friday in ATL. Not only that, it was Friday morning with all the hurricane hype, and I was coming in on the 6:40 from MIA, scheduled arrival 8:40 connecting to the 9:25 DFW (I'd spent the night in MIA).

Was my inbound flight late? 3 minutes.
Did I run like a fat man chasing the ice cream man? No.
Did the sky fall? No.
So what happened? I calmly arrived at my gate around 9ish. I walked around a minute, and then my flight was delayed until 10:05.

Went to the Crown Room, and I was glad I didn't waste any energy. ^
Old Sep 21, 2004, 5:58 am

Deleted

Last edited by vinnmann; Aug 9, 2007 at 6:49 am
Old Nov 15, 2004, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Question Connection to FL at ATL

I need to connect from DL to FL at ATL in the afternoon (3:00). How much time should I schedule between flights? Is one hour enough? Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2004, 3:03 pm

Programs: MAR Plat
An hour is plenty of time.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Thanks for you reply. I'm planning on arriving ATL on DL at 3:09 and departing on FL at 4:25. I plan on carryon bags only and using online check-in for FL so there's no need to reclear security or check-in at ATL.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 12:45 pm
Original Member

Question Tight connection in ATL

Flying GRR-ATL-CRP on Feb 13, reterning Mar l6. CRJ's My outbound connection time in ATL is 38 min and return is only 34 min. I have never connected with Delta in ATL before. Both connections are betweern 4 and 5 PM.

Since these are CRJ's do they usually connect in the same general area? Are these times doable? Had better connections times until the "big schedule change".

All my other connections on CRJ's with Delta have been in CVG What a nasty zoo. Was hoping ATL would be better.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If you go the DL home page, you can enter those same flights in for today and it will show the arriving and departing gates. Though they may change a little, they tend to be the same day after day. You should be okay on change since you do not get tied up taking that silly bus between terminals like in Cinnci.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
34 minutes, while tight, is very doable. Of course, others will caution about if your incoming is late but such is life in the airline industry. But can ATL be a "zoo" like CVG? Yes. All airline major hubs can be.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 1:41 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
If it's all ASA flights, you shouldn't have to change concourses. If you do, allow 15 minutes in case your departure gates are at the far end of each concourse. I've never found the ATL airport to be a zoo once past security, except during irregular ops. Always busy, and sometimes lots of walking, but everything keeps moving.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 2:10 pm

One problem that you might have with such a short time in ATL is if you have checked baggage. We made our flight recently but our luggage did not. It was delivered from BDL to VT that night however!
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:04 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
If you go the DL home page, you can enter those same flights in for today and it will show the arriving and departing gates. Though they may change a little, they tend to be the same day after day. You should be okay on change since you do not get tied up taking that silly bus between terminals like in Cinnci.
Thanks, I tried this and the "near time" flights are not flying yet, might be seasonal, or might be part of the "big" schedule change to take effect the end of the month. I did check some gate info and it seems CRJ's come into mostly D and sometimes C concourses

I should be OK provided my departures are on time. I'll just keep my fingers crossed on the luggage.

Thanks everyone.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:51 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by wonderer
Thanks, I tried this and the "near time" flights are not flying yet, might be seasonal, or might be part of the "big" schedule change to take effect the end of the month.
Good Luck!!! I believe that this may be part of the big schedule change that occurs on 01/31/05.

I fly PBI/ATL/PHL and return weekly with the outbound on Thursday and the returns on Friday afternoons. Almost weekly, my flights are delayed and I would have misconnected if I had the short connection times that you noted. It often is the routing. PHL is notorious for ATC holds and/or flight cancellations.

I could take a PHL flight which has 42 minutes to make my ATL-PBI connection starting 02/01 but, until there is a track record, have chosen to wait 2 1/2 hours in ATL rather than misconnect and end up in a middle seat in coach.

I think that everyone is anxiously waiting to see how ATL fares with the big schedule change and if the current flights on routes with poor ontime arrival rates continue with the changes.

As you can guess, I am not overly optimistic that the shorter connection times in ATL will work and/or is realistic. I have my fingers crossed since it would be wonderful to get home earlier on a Friday!

Sorry for the "editorial comments" but I,like many others, are in a dilemna about booking connecting flights through ATL until we see how the new system works.

No one can really answer your question at this point!
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
I fly PBI/ATL/PHL and return weekly with the outbound on Thursday and the returns on Friday afternoons. Almost weekly, my flights are delayed and I would have misconnected if I had the short connection times that you noted. It often is the routing. PHL is notorious for ATC holds and/or flight cancellations.

I could take a PHL flight which has 42 minutes to make my ATL-PBI connection starting 02/01 but, until there is a track record, have chosen to wait 2 1/2 hours in ATL rather than misconnect and end up in a middle seat in coach.
You can't compare a 42 minute mainline connection (especially from PHL) with a 30 minute DL Connection connection since the DL Connection flights are usually in the same concourse at ATL. I'd feel comfortable with both the 30 minute Delta Connection and 42 minute mainline connections and would pick that rather than spending 2.5 hours in ATL.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:09 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by Traveller
You can't compare a 42 minute mainline connection (especially from PHL) with a 30 minute DL Connection connection since the DL Connection flights are usually in the same concourse at ATL. I'd feel comfortable with both the 30 minute Delta Connection and 42 minute mainline connections and would pick that rather than spending 2.5 hours in ATL.
I could leave on a later flight from PHL and have about 1.5 hours in ATL.

When you would misconnect almost weekly if you did not have at least 90 minutes in ATL, you get sensitized. I agree that DL Connection Carriers may be better but that has not been my experience there either.
Old Jan 16, 2005, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
I could leave on a later flight from PHL and have about 1.5 hours in ATL.

When you would misconnect almost weekly if you did not have at least 90 minutes in ATL, you get sensitized. I agree that DL Connection Carriers may be better but that has not been my experience there either.
I understand. Also, I think PHL is one of the worse airports in the US and I'd probably put more cushion into flights from there too. Have you read the thread in the US Air forum about PHL being the worse airport?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.