Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Old Jun 12, 2001, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

When I arrived in MCI last week from CVG (10am), my bag didn't. The Baggage office traced it & told me it should be into MCI later in the day & would be delivered to my hotel. I kept the paperwork & went to work.

I checked into the hotel at 5:30pm and my bag was still not there. They said they would put it in my room if it came while I was at dinner. I got back about 9pm and the bag was there. Called the front desk & they said it arrived at 7:45pm. All's well...yada yada yada.

Today I was going through my briefcase and found the baggage paperwork. Since I had to call the SMS line about an U/G, I figured I'd ask. I stated the facts...arrived at 10am, bag finally at hotel at 7:45pm. "Am I entitled to any compensation?" I really was not sure since this hasn't happened in at least 10 years, and never before on DL.

After about 30 seconds on hold, the agent came back & said "I've added 3K miles to your account & we will be sending you a $50 DL voucher for the inconvenience."

Totally unexpected, but thanks Delta!

Old Jun 13, 2001, 4:39 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
If it comes to lost/delayed baggage, DL goes out of its way for elite members. I have received adequate compensation, and very good customer service.

That's one reason I stick to DL - if they screw up, they usually make up for it.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 5:29 am

There's a little known policy concerning baggage and medallion members.

If a SM/CM/PM comes home or goes to their destination earlier and on standby and their luggage does not keep up with them, DL will bring it free to their home/hotel/office when it does get there.

The general rule is that if a passenger flies standby, then the luggage is their responsibility - they have to go back to the airport and get it. This, though, does not apply to elite members.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 5:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by hackensacknj:
There's a little known policy concerning baggage and medallion members.

If a SM/CM/PM comes home or goes to their destination earlier and on standby and their luggage does not keep up with them, DL will bring it free to their home/hotel/office when it does get there.

The general rule is that if a passenger flies standby, then the luggage is their responsibility - they have to go back to the airport and get it. This, though, does not apply to elite members.
</font>
Just an FYI, in my experience any airline will bring delayed baggage to you whereever you want it brought to, elite or not. They don't make you come back to the airport for it. (Even Air France does this, so that must mean everyone does!

The note about standby and Elites is interesting. Last time I took an earlier connecting flight, DL did not not offer to bring my bag home off the later flight. But then again, I didn't ask. (But, now I know!)
Old Jun 13, 2001, 8:12 am

It has been a while now (about 1.5 years) when my luggage did not make it on my way back from an international trip. I told them - no problem, glad to be home but get the bag back to me at the earliest. They got it next day. Then, a letter from DL with a $100 transporation voucher

The sad part was that due to constraints, I coudn't use the voucher before it expired and they wouldn't accept it a week after it expired (March 2001)

------------------
gt0138d - a certified George P Burdell clone...
Old Jun 13, 2001, 9:42 am
GG

Oh wow, do I wish I'd been reading FT in Feb. 2000!

We'd planned to fly SDF-ATL-PVD, to attend a convention in the Boston area.

Snowstorm. Flights cancelled, diverted, etc. We ended up at JFK at midnight where the kind DL people said, we're going home, see you at 6am, go find a piece of floor.

OK, fine, things happen. Mr. Hertz & Mr. Marriott came through for us. We drove on up to PVD the next day, and - chaos!! Lots of luggage around, but not our bags.

Next no bags, Saturday night.

Personal clothes? I can do laundry in a sink. We had several thousand dollars worth of merchandise in those bags that was going to turn into vast quantities of pumpkins after this weekend.

We asked, we begged, we pleaded: when the bags show up, PLEASE CALL US, we'll come and get them. It will be faster that way. PLEASE DON'T PUT THEM ON A DELIVERY TRUCK.

We made 3 visits to PVD, and each time said the same thing. Each time, we were promised they'd call us.

So, Sunday afternoon, we called again - we were scheduled to fly to Rome the next day, btw - and Guess What? Yes! The bags were on a truck... later we got a call from the truck driver, who couldn't find our friends' house, and LexPax was able to talk him into meeting us at the convention hotel about 2:30 in the afternoon.

Did we get compensation? Not one jot. I feel like a real patsy.

Old Jun 13, 2001, 10:17 am

i don't think i ever got compensation, but my favorite experience was a Comair baggage service agent at CVG noticed i lived on her way and brought my delayed/lost bag to my house personally
Old Jun 13, 2001, 10:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by shadow:

After about 30 seconds on hold, the agent came back & said "I've added 3K miles to your account & we will be sending you a $50 DL voucher for the inconvenience."

Totally unexpected, but thanks Delta!
</font>
I was on US BOS-PHL-SFO-PIT-FKL-PIT-BOS last week and my baggage was lost on both the PHL-SFO seg and the PIT-BOS seg.

The baggage dept comp'd me for 10x mileage for the entire trip. I'm still waiting to see the deposit online.

------------------
--phil
Old Jun 13, 2001, 10:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by hackensacknj:
The general rule is that if a passenger flies standby, then the luggage is their responsibility - they have to go back to the airport and get it. This, though, does not apply to elite members.</font>
I can confirm that this is NOT the case. In August, I had to pay $15 to have luggage (which came via ATL) delivered to me at the Luxor in Vegas after coming in on an earlier flight (via DFW).

Old Jun 13, 2001, 11:12 am

rules have no basis in vegas..
Old Jun 13, 2001, 2:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Just a few weeks ago, I caught an earlier flight from ORD to ATL after coming in from an international KE flight, and one of my bags missed that earlier flight.

Delta delivered it the next day for free, and I live 100 miles from ATL...actually they sent it to CSG and drove it about 30 miles up here. That was the scariest part - when they told me my bag was on an ASA flight

On a separate occasion, DL lost one of my dad's bags recently because they ripped the handle (and thus all the tags) off it...they did eventually find it after 5 days and sent the bag off to Delta's luggage repair shop (didn't know they had one). It came back with a handle, but not one of the same color as the bag. Oh well, it'll make it easier for him to identify it, assuming it stays on!

Delta has also sent my dad a brand new suitcase after banging up another one beyond repair. He doesn't have the best luck with his luggage, but at least DL always tries to make it right.
Old Jun 13, 2001, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by juuceman:
rules have no basis in vegas..</font>
Interesting, I just had bags delivered to Flamingo by DL.

Old Jun 13, 2001, 6:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:
Interesting, I just had bags delivered to Flamingo by DL.
</font>
On a VOLUNTARY seperation?

Old Jun 13, 2001, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Last year I flew EWR-ATL-SMF. My luggage flew EWR-ATL-CVG-LAS-SLC-SMF. In jest I told an agent in the baggage dept. who was tracing it for me that my bag flew more than I did and maybe I should get Skymiles for that trip also. He gave me 3,000 miles and a $125 voucher.

[This message has been edited by Rssrsvp (edited 06-13-2001).]
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:52 pm

Angry Delta baggage problem

Last March, as my family and I flew to SLC from Atlanta for our annual spring break ski trip Delta lost our luggage. Unfortunately, a lesson learned now, I packed all our ski things in one big bag. This included all our clothes, goggles,hats gloves etc. I reported the loss when we got off the plane and they assured me that they rarely lose luggage, gave me a claim number and a 1 800 number to call to check the status. Well , of course the didn't find our bag until June. In the meantime, we had to hurry out and buy new things so as to not spoil our trip. Everytime I call the 800 number they they would allot us $22 a person to rent ski clothes. I tried to tell them you cant rent ski clothes and that I wasn't talking about ski euipment but they didn't understand. I'm sure I was calling Bombay, India or at least that's what it sounded like. Very frustrated. I figured I'd resolve this when I got home. I filed the claim, sent copies of all my receipts and sent it certified mail. To this day, they haven't paid me and I must have called them 20 times. I always get the runaround. Each time,again, i was sure i was talking to someone in Bombay. Sure, They did find my luggage 3 months later, but it did me little good. Does anyone know what the rules are and who I can complain to. Can they return your luggage after such a long time and not reimburse you for anything. Also, I've also asked where its been and they can't tell me that either. Please help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.