Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Compensation: Luggage, Baggage, Bag and Bags

Old Aug 20, 2004, 9:36 am

If an employee was faced with a predicament as this, I would have no problem approving, on a case-by-case basis, a reasonable expense request for a replacement set of clothing.

1) the employee is away from his family for work (sometimes not by choice).

2) having your luggage lost is not the most thrilling experience and further adds to the stress of travelling away from your family and the stress of the trip.

3) the money spent on a replacement set of clothing for the employee is nothing in comparison to what the company will gain by taking care of said employee.

It amazes me most companies still have not grasped the simple concept that taking care of their people will, in turn, take care of their company.

And my 11 billion dollar company, that is run like a mom-and-pop shop, wonders why it cannot make the Forbes "Top 100 Companies List".

Last edited by DelrayChris; Aug 20, 2004 at 12:25 pm
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by DelrayChris
If an employee was faced with a predicament as this, I would have no problem approving, on a case-by-case basis, a reasonable expense request for a replacement set of clothing.

1) the employee is away from his family for work (sometimes not by choice).

2) having your luggage lost is not the most thrilling experience and further adds to the stress of travelling away from your family and the stress of the trip.

3) the money spent on a replacement set of clothing for the employee is nothing in comparison to what the company will gain by taking care of said employee.

It amazes me most companies still have not grasped the simple concept that taking care of their people will, in turn, take care of their company.

And my 11 billion dollar company wonders why it cannot make the Forbes "Top 100 Companies List".
Sometimes you just have to pick your battles.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by El Boocho
Sometimes you just have to pick your battles.
of course.. I was only saying how I will run things in the future. I have a friend who is the manager of another group in the company who takes matters into her own hands all of the time.

For Christmas, she purchased gift certificates for the people (about 15) on her team. The best part of it all was that she paid for it on her own and used some of her bonus money.

She has the most loyal and committed team I have seen.

Last edited by DelrayChris; Aug 20, 2004 at 12:29 pm
Old Aug 20, 2004, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
of course.. I was only saying how I will run things in the future. I have a friend who is the manager of another group in the company who takes matters into her own hands all of the time.

For Christmas, she purchased gift certificates for the people (about 15) on her team. The best part of it all was that she paid for it on her own and used some of her bonus money.

She has the most loyal and committed team I have seen.
Retail?
Old Aug 20, 2004, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold
Let me try to understand, for s I may be ignorant to this...

You travel for business purposes on a company paid ticket, the airline loses your luggage; the company will not help you out.

You travel for business purposes on a company paid ticket, you break your arm in the course of your trip; the company allows you to take sick time to recover, and covers the medical expense via your insurance.
Hrm, I'm not too well versed in this but aren't there some IRS regulations surrounding the reimbursement and expense write-off of these items which are non-office expenses and can be reused outside of the scope of employment (i.e., not a uniform)? Though I suppose they could somehow account for it as a taxable benefit, but I'd hate to think of what would happen if the mainframe I have to do my expense reports in had to deal with a situation like that

Chris
Old Aug 20, 2004, 2:15 pm

I would check the agreement of the credit/charge card used to purchase the tickets.

For example, Amex Plat. and Centurion have a "Baggage Insurance Plan".

Also, was this a business trip? If so, your company cover your expenses as you lost your luggage in the course of a company paid business trip.
AMEX Platinum will cover up to $500 if your bags are delayed over a certain time period (I think 6 hours?)
Could have used it last October in Madrid when my bags took 2 days to get to me.
R.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:48 am

I recently spoke to someone in loss prevention who was extremely rude. He told me that Delta could not offer me any compensation because I was told to rent the ski clothing, not to purchase it. He told me that it was documented that the agent in SLC(where I filed the claim the night my luggage was lost) gave me a list of places I could rent clothing. I told him that was not true,that all I was given was a small computer printout with how much they would pay per day for rented clothing. I still have it. He practically accused me of lying, saying it was documented, Delta would not pay and he hung up. How's that for customer service. I asked every ski clothing shop and the concierge at my hotel where I could rent clothing and they all looked at me like I was nuts. Rent ski equipment-yes, but ski clothing??? I did speak to a woman in Atlanta during the time we were in SLC about this and she told me to save my receipts and file a claim when I got home, but the man in loss prevention wouldn't let me talk to her. Does writing a letter to customer care overrulr loss prevention?
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by travel gal
... He practically accused me of lying, saying it was documented, Delta would not pay and he hung up.
Geez. That's horrible travel gal, maybe it's time for you to stop messing around with these low-level managers and take it up to corporate level. Don't know if you are upto this but if a manager hung up on me, it won't be pretty (<<-- columnist in a college paper read by 50,000+ daily )
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:20 pm

My problem is I don't know how to go about doing that. Is there a specific person I should write to. I've tried calling customer care before but I just can't seem to be able to talk to anyone besides the person who answers the phone. When you ask to speak with a supervisor, I think they just put you on hold until you finally hang up.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
File suit in small claims court. I'll bet they work things out...
Old Aug 29, 2004, 3:06 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by Pointfreak!
File suit in small claims court. I'll bet they work things out...
I can understand how frustrating "He said, she said" can be. I would try one more time writing to someone at Delta. Maybe you should send a certified,return receipt letter addressed personally to Gerald Grinstein. I would send a xerox of your computer print out from Delta, clothes receipts, luggage claim tags, etc. Be polite and see where it leads you.

Obviously, Grinstein won't answer you but someone from his office most likely will.

Keepn us posted!
Old Aug 29, 2004, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by indufan
Living in ATL, you ALWAYS have a choice of airlines. Write them an email asking for reasonable compensation, I would say for the daily rental fees and remind them of the fact that you do have a choice in airlines. ATL is no where near a hostage market. Our resident MLB posters can attest to that.
I am not a hostage in MLB. I have every right to drive 70 miles to Orlando (ughhhh!) and fly an airline other than DL which is what I'm doing tomorrow to avoid all RJ service MLB-ROC this week.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Traveller
I am not a hostage in MLB. I have every right to drive 70 miles to Orlando (ughhhh!) and fly an airline other than DL which is what I'm doing tomorrow to avoid all RJ service MLB-ROC this week.
Is it allowed to dig a month old post out for a quote?

No, you are still a hostage at MLB. If you drive to Orlando, then you are no longer a MLB traveller but rather a MCO one. Either way, ATL has a lot more options than MLB does.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 5:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by indufan
Is it allowed to dig a month old post out for a quote?

No, you are still a hostage at MLB. If you drive to Orlando, then you are no longer a MLB traveller but rather a MCO one. Either way, ATL has a lot more options than MLB does.
indufan, I'm confused about why you're upset that you were quoted here. What's up?

But, to answer your question, yes it is allowed to dig a month old post out for a quote.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bigjim
indufan, I'm confused about why you're upset that you were quoted here. What's up?
I am not upset.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.