Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
90 minutes at JFK is doable; business/elite passengers do not have a fast track channel.

You do not specify if you're US/non-US passport holders; this will affect the length of time for your arrival.

US citizens or Canadian visitors can use the mobile app - see https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citize...ssport-control
Thanks for the response, I am a UK citizen.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by drchoc
Thanks for the response, I am a UK citizen.
With a 90 minute connection, you should be eligible for the "Quick Connection" line. Also, if you are return ESTA you can use the APC kiosks rather than the regular visitors lane.

If you misconnect, DL will put you on the next flight (whenever that is).

Business class should give you SkyPriority for reclearing security, though you may need to go upstairs (T4) for that (or T2, if your flight leaves from there).
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Hey guys ... have a REALLY tight connection at JFK and was hoping for some advice.

DL codeshare operated by WS (YYC-JFK)
Depart: 10:25 AM
Arrive: 5:06 PM in Terminal 4

Layover 49M

Delta Operated Flight (JFK-SJU)
Depart: 5:55 PM from Terminal 2
Arrive: 10:04 PM

3 pax, no checked luggage, only carry-on but one of the pax is an eight year old girl. Flying as DL Plat (from a status challenge) ... not sure if that would hold the plane or have an agent meet us at the plane.

The 5:55 PM flight is the last DL flight out of JFK for the day ... there's a later AA and B6 flight but neither are SkyTeam members so while I might get protected on those flights, it just adds another layer of complexity.

Trying to get a good sense of whether or not we are going to make it ... I don't transit JFK often.

Also, the connection is not a legal connection (< 1:00 D to D ... pre-clearance in YYC) so not sure where that leaves us.

Questions:

1. In your opinion, will we make it if flights are on time? And if so, is it a dead sprint from plane to plane?
2. If we don't make it, what are the chances of being protected on the AA or B6 flights ... or would they make us fly on the next DL the next morning? Looks like good availability on AA and B6 so far:

3. Assuming we have to overnight in JFK ... I assume we would get a hotel voucher and meal vouchers ... any chance you get a better hotel/meals if you're Platinum?

Thanks guys!
Anyone?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Anyone?
I think SuperG1955 may have intended to reply to your message but quoted somebody else's.

If flights are on time you'll be OK.

If you misconnect, you will not be put on AA or B6, as DL does not have an agreement with either airline. You would only get vouchers if the delay was on DL (eg: mechanical or staffing issue) and not if it's out of their control (eg: weather).
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bennos
With a 90 minute connection, you should be eligible for the "Quick Connection" line. Also, if you are return ESTA you can use the APC kiosks rather than the regular visitors lane.

If you misconnect, DL will put you on the next flight (whenever that is).

Business class should give you SkyPriority for reclearing security, though you may need to go upstairs (T4) for that (or T2, if your flight leaves from there).
Since the flight from JFK starts with a 4, it should be from T4. If that's the case it will be at the far end of the B gates. There's a bus that goes between each end of B. However it can be quicker to walk depending on the wait.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:55 am

This would be comical if it wasn't happening to us, and now im wondering if I've created a problem.
Dh and I were originally booked on WestJet from SXM to YYZ, then WestJet cancelled their flight that day....sooo we then chgd to Delta.
We're booked SXM-JFK-BUF on May 23rd in First class, and we are Canadian
We'll have been traveling for over 3 weeks(which means plenty of checked luggage) at that point and will have been in SJU, STT and SXM.
First we we were booked via Atlanta but the flights chgd and we were left with the bare minimum connection time , so we switched to JFK with a 2 hr and 25 minute connection which I had thought(prior to reading this thread) would be plenty of time. Now im reading that perhaps coming from the Caribbean we may get held up even longer, and that JFK immigration can be a nightmare. etc. etc.
Both of us have work commitments the next morning, and Im getting concerned given that we will be on the last flight of the day to BUF.
Are we likely to be ok ?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes should be fine. As Canadians you can use the APC machines to clear immigration. Or you can download the Mobile Passport Control app from CBP. Recommend the MPC App. You'll be through using MPC just about as quickly as someone with Global Entry. Then pickup bags, clear customs and drop at bag recheck.

Bottom line 2.5 hours at JFK should be plenty of time.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes should be fine. As Canadians you can use the APC machines to clear immigration. Or you can download the Mobile Passport Control app from CBP. Recommend the MPC App. You'll be through using MPC just about as quickly as someone with Global Entry. Then pickup bags, clear customs and drop at bag recheck.

Bottom line 2.5 hours at JFK should be plenty of time.
Using the app do we have to both download to our phones or can one of us download for both ?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by Legalbee
Using the app do we have to both download to our phones or can one of us download for both ?
One of you should download for the family. From there, you can create profiles for each individual.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:22 am

Thanks all !
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
Annoyed... delta's moved their 9am JFK-PHL flight to 7:55, which cuts the connection down to 32 minutes and makes it unbookable. WHY DELTA WHY?! Even 8am would be fine, but noooooo. Worst part is the 9am returns starting in June.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:26 pm

In a few weeks my partner and I will be connecting through JFK to BDA. We're coming in from YYZ and apparently we only have a 45 minute connection. The flights are 4100 and 437.
How likely are we to miss connect? and if we don't, will our luggage make its way through?
This is of course assuming no IRROPS out of YYZ.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
If the plane flying DL4100 made ito to YYZ the night before the flight will happen and usually the on time departure for the first US bound flights are very good.

My experience with DL4199 is that they are usually early. Both flights normally would be T4 unless there is ground ops issues.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by iMedic
In a few weeks my partner and I will be connecting through JFK to BDA. We're coming in from YYZ and apparently we only have a 45 minute connection. The flights are 4100 and 437.
How likely are we to miss connect? and if we don't, will our luggage make its way through?
This is of course assuming no IRROPS out of YYZ.
If your first flight is on time, you'll be fine. Max 10 minutes to get to your next gate once you're off the plane, and your bags will make it.

Obviously if you're late all bets are off.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Hey guys,

We arrive into JFK with a 49 minute connection and need to take the Jitney bus from T4 (A3) to T2 (C64). Am I reading this right?

Do I need to run over to B18 to get the bus to B55 and then transfer to another bus to get to T2? Or is it the same bus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.