Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2016, 7:20 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by bennos
If you can get this done on the same ticket, Rule 30 of the CoC will cover your ground transfer. Not sure if the folks at the MAT would know how to handle that, though...
Yeah there is another FT thread somewhere talking about getting DL to cover the ground transfer and while it is theoretically possible, my takeaway from that thread is it's probably easier to pay for a $20-30 taxi. YMMV.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by bgriff
It is possible that a very friendly agent might re-accommodate, but where it is a separate ticket and well under MCT you'd be pushing your luck. Personally I wouldn't risk it; get to JFK a bit earlier and enjoy the VS Clubhouse.

You might also be able to find a DCA-LGA flight that could be added on to your award ticket for no extra miles? You'd have to get a taxi between the airports but would likely offer a lot more award flight options than DCA-JFK does. I would leave at least 3 hours, preferably 4 for the connection if you're changing airports though.

You could also keep checking and see if the VS flight IAD-LHR opens up for award tickets and change to that -- VS often releases more award seats as the departure date approaches, starting 1-2 months out.
Sadly, it's a Flying Blue award ticket, and I wasn't able to get them to add a connection in Y (tried 3 agents) from DC. I actually prefer IAD (flying back MUC-IAD, so easier to just drive there), but this flight is cheaper w/ cash. IAD-JFK has a well-timed 430p-554p but it's $366/ea one way which is steep...
Old May 27, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL PM
Looking to take an earlier flight from JFK in a few days... Domestic to domestic. On paper, connection time would be 29mins. (2.5+hrs for current itin).

What's the best way to handle this? There are two of us flying. When I've done this solo in the past, I've had them put me on standby and flown in Y. This time tho, have F tickets and would be great if we could somehow get confirmed on the earlier flight ahead of time so we actually get decent seats (especially if there is a good chance of us making it)
Old May 27, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by appleguru
...This time tho, have F tickets...
As noted many times on the SDC thread, if you have paid tickets in any front cabin class, you have last seat availability for an SDC. So there really should not be too much to worry about since there does figure to be one other flight or more that day that shows two seats for sale.

If, as your handle implies, you live in town, as a DM you can even do the SDC to a co-terminal so the SDC change could be permitted to allow you to leave from LGA.

Last edited by monitor; May 27, 2016 at 10:15 pm
Old May 27, 2016, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by monitor
As noted many times on the SDC thread, if you have paid tickets in any front cabin class, you have last seat availability for an SDC. So there really should not be too much to worry about since there does figure to be one other flight or more that day that shows two seats for sale.

If, as your handle implies, you live in town, as a DM you can even do the SDC to a co-terminal so the SDC change could be permitted to allow you to leave from LGA.
Just connecting through JFK on this itinerary.

My concern is that they won't confirm us on the earlier flight since it is just under the legal D-D Connection minimum of 30mins. And if we do standby, by the time we get to the gate I suspect all F seats would be gone via gate UGs, which are usually processed around T-30
Old May 27, 2016, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Just connecting through JFK on this itinerary...
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I never thought that someone with the handle of appleguru would actually schedule a domestic connection through JFK.

It appeared to me from your post that you were originating at JFK and somehow had the 29 minute connection so you were asking a question that really belonged in the other thread.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:33 pm

Looking to take an earlier flight from JFK in a few days... Domestic to domestic. On paper, connection time would be 29mins. (2.5+hrs for current itin).

What's the best way to handle this? There are two of us flying. When I've done this solo in the past, I've had them put me on standby and flown in Y. This time tho, have F tickets and would be great if we could somehow get confirmed on the earlier flight ahead of time so we actually get decent seats (especially if there is a good chance of us making it)
Flight is tomorrow. Any tips here? Should I call and ask to be confirmed on the flight that has a 29min connection?

That would seem to be the best bet if they'll allow it: tells DL ops they have pax and bags with a tight connection (gives them a chance to move the gates closer), means I get auto-rebooked on the next flight if we miss it/aren't at the gate at T-15, etc... Definitely the best option all around, I just have no idea if DL can/will confirm us on a flight with an "illegal" (by one minute) connection time. Anyone have any experience here?
Old May 30, 2016, 10:29 pm

Just called. DM line said no way to confirm me with a 29min connection time. Will try standby I suppose. Hope by some miracle two F seats stay open!
Old May 31, 2016, 3:34 pm

One last update on this one..

Once we were airborne on our first flight, I saw our flight to JFK was scheduled to get in about 15mins early. Messaged @Delta on Twitter and they were able to get us on the flight and get us assigned seats. They did say that they "couldn't reissue the ticket because the flight was under airport control" (despite it being 5+ hours prior to departure).

They emailed me my confirmation, which had the flights and seats in it. But that segment disappeared from the app and delta.com

Anyways, after the worlds longest jitney ride (had a stop, and the bus driver took nearly 10 minutes at the first stop), we got to the gate precisely 20mins prior to departure.

Scanning our BPs made the scanner go red; when I told the GA which seats were ours, he indicated they had given them away/upgraded passengers because we weren't checked in. The GA mumbled, asked someone to pull those UG'd pax back to their original Y seats, re-printed our BPs and let us board. Said all the problems could have been avoided if the agent that got us on the flight had just checked us in!

Feel bad for the upgraded pax that we displaced, but we are onboard and headed home, so all worked out I suppose.

(and no, our bags didn't make it according to the bag tracker. They likely would have if we were confirmed on the earlier fights prior to checking them in so they could be tagged HOT, etc. no worries there though; expected they wouldn't make it)

Last edited by appleguru; May 31, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Old May 31, 2016, 5:20 pm

And one last update: @Delta on Twitter claims they can't re-issue tickets while a segment is currently being flown; they have to wait until it closes before they can re-issue. So recommend approach here was to message them as soon as you land if it is going to take more than a couple minutes to get to the next gate.

@Widgets, any insight as to what the SOP for a GA is for a situation like this? Seems like the GA did everything right based on the info he had; only thing he maybe could have done was actually look at our reservation/see where we were coming in from before deciding to release our seats for UGs, which would have avoided the awkward situation where they had to pull passengers that had already boarded (and received PDB!) back to coach.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:25 pm

And one last update: @Delta on Twitter claims they can't re-issue tickets while a segment is currently being flown; they have to wait until it closes before they can re-issue. So recommend approach here was to message them as soon as you land if it is going to take more than a couple minutes to get to the next gate.

@Widgets, any insight as to what the SOP for a GA is for a situation like this? Seems like the GA did everything right based on the info he had; only thing he maybe could have done was actually look at our reservation/see where we were coming in from before deciding to release our seats for UGs, which would have avoided the awkward situation where they had to pull passengers that had already boarded (and received PDB!) back to coach.
I would have released your seats at D-20, or the baggage cutoff if the flight were overbooked. Was your flight overbooked? Twitter is correct that tickets can't be reissued while a segment is being flown.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
I would have released your seats at D-20, or the baggage cutoff if the flight were overbooked. Was your flight overbooked?
Nope, not overbooked. The Upgraded passengers were moved back to their original seats and a couple of NRSA made it on too.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:29 pm

Nope, not overbooked. The Upgraded passengers were moved back to their original seats and a couple of NRSA made it on too.
The GA did everything by the rules. I wouldn't have done much different. If anything, maybe Twitter should have mentioned you still have to check in, but I'm not sure since they said they can't reissue.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
I would have released your seats at D-20, or the baggage cutoff if the flight were overbooked. Was your flight overbooked? Twitter is correct that tickets can't be reissued while a segment is being flown.
If you a pax was connecting, and knew they could make the flight, would you still release the seats at D-20?
Old Jun 2, 2016, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
If you a pax was connecting, and knew they could make the flight, would you still release the seats at D-20?
-10 to-15 if checked in. It's possible the GA didn't see you on the connections list if you weren't ticketed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.