Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2007, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, British Airways Silver
Kennedy connection in 46 minutes?

Will be connecting (hopefully) from Shuttle America from ATL (Delta) to Delta to Nice in 46 minutes. Possible? Likely?
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM - I made it, for now.
The odds are not good. The RJs are often late into the gate, and it could be a looooooong walk to the connecting gate.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by bebopper
Will be connecting (hopefully) from Shuttle America from ATL (Delta) to Delta to Nice in 46 minutes. Possible? Likely?
I always make every attempt to serious "pad" JFK connections especially when I am arriving on an RJ and there is no "next" flight to my destination. I like three hours myself.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:41 pm

Programs: Delta
Keep in mind that this is a Shuttle oped flight on the E170. I would imagine this aircraft gets a jet way at least. I'm not exactly familiar with Delta's JFK operation with the exception of the remote area for most other Delta Connection flights.

This is besides the point. If I were flying this itinerary, I would pad the connection. Anything less than 2 hours is playing with fire in New York whether you're dealing with Delta Connection or not. Think about it, if you miss your transatlantic flight, then you got a BIG problem to deal with.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, LA, WN, SPG Plat, MR Gold
Last time I flew into JFK on an RJ from IAD we arrived right where my flight to VCE was taking off, so it *could* be okay.

Granted, my flight was delayed an hour or so (padded time included (the 45 minute flight was scheduled as I think under 2 hours)), so I get off my plane only to find that JFK-VCE was just about to begin boarding...so the more hours in JFK, the better.

DD
Old Jun 24, 2007, 4:33 am

Programs: UA *G
I would definitely get a longer connection if I could - JFK is very congested this time of year, a thunderstorm in the area and everything gets messed up for hours.

About the gates, I've never seen a 170 park at the Connection gates 23/25, they seem to get jetways.. usually at Terminal 2.

-A
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: Delta PM, British Airways Silver
Thanks for all the replies - I think it's time to make a change to an earlier flight!
Old Jun 24, 2007, 6:35 pm

LAx/CVG/AMS - in BE- questions?? updated BE or not?

deleted

Last edited by eireman; Jun 24, 2007 at 6:36 pm Reason: posted to wrong thread
Old Jun 24, 2007, 6:51 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bebopper
Thanks for all the replies - I think it's time to make a change to an earlier flight!

Good idea - we had a similar connection CVG-JFK-IST that we didn't make a few years ago.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Delta Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamon
As a frequent JFK traveler, I highly recommend padding your time. RJs often arrive at JFK 2 to 3 hours later than the scheduled time regularly. You should plan this delay into your itinerary.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:27 pm

Help with likely missed connection in JFK

Hi all. My wife is presently on DL 98 from SAN-JFK which left over an hour late this morning. I have been monitoring the flight via flight aware and on Delta's site. This means her flight lands after her connecting flight 6345 takes off for Richmond. As luck would have it, this is the last DL flight of the day from JFK to RIC. The best option is for Delta to hold the connecting flight, but with the NYC airports already showing delays, I bet the flight ops button up as close to schedule permits. I confirmed Jet Blue has at least two other flights, but wasn't certain Delta would put her on another carrier's flight.

I just got cut off after 35 minutes on hold. "Alice" who finally answered the call dropped me after utting me on hold for another five minutes. Any guidance from those currently on-line would be most appreciated. If there are any tips to get the ticket assigned to another carrier would be ideal. Thanks in advance
Old Jul 8, 2007, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
DL 6041 JFK-RIC departs 645p exists, but there is no availability.

DL 5268 LGA-RIC departs 715p, has a few seats open, but it might be hard to make it to LGA that quickly.

DL 5123 JFK-ORF (norfolk) departs 805p, no seats availabie.

DL will not put her on JetBlue, as there is no interline agreement between these airlines (I believe that's still correct). But there is a 10:10 flight she could take on JetBlue. Remember if she doesn't fly one of the legs of her trip, the rest of the reservation will get canceled...not sure how folks work around that these days.

Good luck
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by gava1
Hi all. My wife is presently on DL 98 from SAN-JFK which left over an hour late this morning. I have been monitoring the flight via flight aware and on Delta's site. This means her flight lands after her connecting flight 6345 takes off for Richmond. As luck would have it, this is the last DL flight of the day from JFK to RIC. The best option is for Delta to hold the connecting flight, but with the NYC airports already showing delays, I bet the flight ops button up as close to schedule permits. I confirmed Jet Blue has at least two other flights, but wasn't certain Delta would put her on another carrier's flight.

I just got cut off after 35 minutes on hold. "Alice" who finally answered the call dropped me after utting me on hold for another five minutes. Any guidance from those currently on-line would be most appreciated. If there are any tips to get the ticket assigned to another carrier would be ideal. Thanks in advance
First, it is not the last RIC flight from JFK, and even if the later flight shows no availability, I would bet she'd get on due to missed connections, cancellations etc.

Her SAN flight is due in just before 5PM... she may still be able to make her original RIC flight as hour plus delays are quite common in the JFK afternoons even when the flights show on schedule. So she should make haste towards RIC flight gate until she knows she has missed the flight.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 1:36 pm

Quick update. I finally spoke with someone (took three tries) who confirmed she is on a mid-day JFK-RIC flight tomorrow. What irritates me the most is Delta changed her schedule last month from a decent Atlanta connection to one through JFK and all of its issues. The only saving grace is apparently Delta acknowledged this as a mechanical and are putting her (and several other Richmond bound passengers at a hotel. My hope is it will be a decent property with a restaurant for dinner and breakfast. It seems to me Delta might consider increasing the gauge for these city pairs if they are running full or near full. I will try to encourage her to go to the gate and hope someone else no shows. Thanks for the quick responses.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by gava1
Quick update. I finally spoke with someone (took three tries) who confirmed she is on a mid-day JFK-RIC flight tomorrow. What irritates me the most is Delta changed her schedule last month from a decent Atlanta connection to one through JFK and all of its issues. The only saving grace is apparently Delta acknowledged this as a mechanical and are putting her (and several other Richmond bound passengers at a hotel. My hope is it will be a decent property with a restaurant for dinner and breakfast. It seems to me Delta might consider increasing the gauge for these city pairs if they are running full or near full. I will try to encourage her to go to the gate and hope someone else no shows. Thanks for the quick responses.
Interesting because they are still selling seats on 7:15pm departure from LGA-RIC tonight. Not that long a cab ride.. plenty of time to make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.