Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Burj
65 minutes is plenty of time...with the standard caveat that you inbound flight is one time. At JFK anything is possible but since September 30th is well before the winter/snow season in NYC you should be fine.

Just make sure that you do NOT leave the airside/secure side. You can go between any Delta gates in T2-T3-T4 by walking or shuttle bus.

I just checked and the 7:00 pm JFK-CLT flight is the last of the day...SO I would definitely have alternatives in mind from Boston and if the Boston flight is delayed more than 15 or 20 minutes you need to talk to the gate agent in Boston and politely ask them the reroute you....Since flights on a Sunday shouldn't be too full that should be a problem...but they would only do it if you BOS-JFK flight is delayed....
Thanks for looking into that! That is very useful information. I've never used JFK before, but I've definitely heard about its reputation for delays. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by cdubose98
Thanks for looking into that! That is very useful information. I've never used JFK before, but I've definitely heard about its reputation for delays. Thanks for your help.
I would familiarize yourself with this map...

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ewyork_jfk.jsp

It shows how you can get between T2 and T3 via the long connector which is airside, so no need to leave security, and where you can pick up the shuttle bus to T4 if you flight to CLT leaves from there (but most likely it won't).

One thing that trips people up is that in terms of gate numbering they do NOT differentiate between T2 and T3....so you do need to follow the signs based on your gate number and don't worry if you find yourself taking the long connector.

Also another thing that trips people up is that T3 is basically donut shaped BUT you can not go all the way around clock wise...so there are some gates, I think like gates 4 or 5 where you will find yourself going around the "long" way to get to them.... (there is a reason Delta is tearing this terminal down!)
Basically just follow the signs for your gate and you should be fine...

Let us know how it goes....
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Platinum (Life), Emirates Gold,GHA Black
Just did this connection in JFK this past Friday. Flew PRG/JFK. Cleared immigration, customs, and security in 25 minutes. Had enough time to stop at Sky.Club for a drink before JFK/ATL with a 1 hour turn.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
Hi All - DL newbie here. I have a couple connection options for ORD-KEF on an award and neither of them seem like a good idea from what I've read in this thread. But I wanted to confirm if you guys would attempt either of these:

ORD-JFK DL 3522 (pinnacle) arr 10:20p
50 min connect
JFK-KEF DL 52 dep 11:10p

or

ORD-LGA DL 5954 (shuttle) arr 8:45p
2h 25m airport transfer & connect

Any other options even at the medium level require me to burn a half vacation day that I don't have. Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by 122554
Just did this connection in JFK this past Friday. Flew PRG/JFK. Cleared immigration, customs, and security in 25 minutes. Had enough time to stop at Sky.Club for a drink before JFK/ATL with a 1 hour turn.
Do you have Global Entry?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Oakshadow
I'm very worried about an upcoming booked trip. It's an award ticket LAX-ATL-JFK-TLV. The ATL-JFK-TLV are actually the same flight number (DL 268) with a change of equipment in JFK.

The option was displayed as just "1h 30m Layover". What it didn't say is that the JFK layover is only 45 minutes.

According to Flightstats, the ATL-JFK leg has an average delay of 26 minutes (the "overall rating" is 1.9 out of 5). Even if I'm lucky and have an on-time arrival, they'll already be boarding the JFK-TLV leg. That bird is a 747. My early boarding Sky Priority status will mean squat and likely there will be no room for my carry-on. If my gates are far apart - T2 to T4 transfer for example, the slightest delay will mean I won't make it.

And I know for a fact they don't always hold the JFK-TLV leg for a delayed inbound ATL-JFK DL 268. According to the DL.com flight status yesterday (2/29/12), the ATL-JFK DL 268 arrived 33 minuts after the JFK-TLV DL 268 departed 5 minutes late.

The premium line phone agents wouldn't budge and let me change to a nonstop LAX-JFK flight without spending 20k more miles (it's already 95k in Y).

Do I have a shot at making this or am I toast? If I'm toast, any suggestions on dealing with DL to arrange something better?
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
You have two options

1. Make it their problem, as they would have to reroute you and get you to tlv on their own, with commensurate compensation for the delay if you miss the connectiom

2. The mct domestic to intl on dl is 1h15. 45 minutes would be illegal so you have a strong argument for rebooking

3. One more - show up for he lax JFK flight on the day of travel and reason with the airport agents...

P.s. sked connection is 1h45 for a random March date. Plenty of time even with a 30 min inbound delay
I broke my own rule and didn't followup on my own issue.

I had called the premium line and requested that I get on a LAX-JFK nonstop that gave me 2 1/2 hour connection time. At first the agent told me I'd be fine as the ATL-JFK and JFK-TLV were the same flight number, the second flight would wait for the earlier inbound in case it was late. I then explained that the night before, the JFK-TLV flight did not wait for the late ATL-JFK inbound. She looked it up to confirm that, she said she was shocked and became sympathetic. She put me on hold and talked to her manager and got me re-booked on the LAX-JFK nonstop without penalty.

The flights went by smoothly (as smoothly as a packed JFK-TLV flight on a non-refurbished 747 can get). After boarding the TLV flight, another passenger rushed on minutes before the doors closed. He was on the predictably late ATL-JFK flight. He made it, but his bags didn't.

45 minutes is just not enough time for a domestic-international connection, even if both flights are in the secure T2/T3 terminals.

Last edited by Oakshadow; Jul 12, 2012 at 6:57 pm
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Glad it worked out for you, oakshadow! This would have been a perfect opportunity to educate the poor bagless chap on the benefits of flyertalk
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Awwucks
Hi All - DL newbie here. I have a couple connection options for ORD-KEF on an award and neither of them seem like a good idea from what I've read in this thread. But I wanted to confirm if you guys would attempt either of these:

ORD-JFK DL 3522 (pinnacle) arr 10:20p
50 min connect

or

ORD-LGA DL 5954 (shuttle) arr 8:45p
2h 25m airport transfer & connect

Any other options even at the medium level require me to burn a half vacation day that I don't have. Thanks!
Traffic shouldn't be much of an issue in the evening (if you attempt the LGA connection). However, 2.5 hours does not seem to give you too much flexibility if things go sour. The other problem with LGA-JFK is that after a certain point, you only have one or two checkpoints open and a LOT of passengers eager to get there - often times many of them with little travel experience but a lot of carry on bags!

So, I would stick to the airside JFK connection. 50 minutes to connect is OK - not great - If I were to guess, you would arrive at the T2 labyrinth and depart from the low T3 gates (like gate 4-8) - which is a 10-15 minute walk in itself. However, I believe an earlier JFK flight can be easily hopped on in Chicago to allow for more connecting time. Any reasonable gate agent will handle this

Same goes for the shuttle, actually, and getting in an hour earlier, if you can with 3.5 hours to connect, will give you plenty of time to switch airports
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
So, I would stick to the airside JFK connection. 50 minutes to connect is OK - not great - If I were to guess, you would arrive at the T2 labyrinth and depart from the low T3 gates (like gate 4-8) - which is a 10-15 minute walk in itself. However, I believe an earlier JFK flight can be easily hopped on in Chicago to allow for more connecting time. Any reasonable gate agent will handle this
Got it - thanks for all the details goodandclassy! I really didn't think anyone would suggest giving the 50 min a try. I'll take a look at schedules and see what earlier flight we could potentially jump on to give a cushion. Thanks again.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:15 am

I just bought the ticket from Moscow to Miami via JFK (DL 31 & DL 141 in one ticket) with the connection time 1h 30 min. Being used to the European international connections of 30-50 minutes, I had no worries and was thinking more about where to spend so much time.
Then, I read that both me and my bags (I got 1 checked) should be cleared through the customs at the point and became anxious about the outcome.
it seems that both flights are from the same terminal, but I still remember the queues at the passport control at arrival and respectively huge queues at the security check at Terminal 3 for the departure.
So I would like to ask you, whether it's possible to make this connection? If not, what should I do with it, as the next Delta plane to Miami is only 4 hours later and arrives basically at night.
In particularly, I'm interested, whether I will be issued and boarding pass for the flight to Miami in Moscow, how crowded the airport (T3) is on Thursday at around 2pm and will appreciate any tips on how to do the connection in the most efficient manner.
I understand, that it was easier to buy some KLM ticket with international connection at Amsterdam, but now it's done, and I cannot return it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Madsi
I just bought the ticket from Moscow to Miami via JFK (DL 31 & DL 141 in one ticket) with the connection time 1h 30 min. Being used to the European international connections of 30-50 minutes, I had no worries and was thinking more about where to spend so much time.
Then, I read that both me and my bags (I got 1 checked) should be cleared through the customs at the point and became anxious about the outcome.
it seems that both flights are from the same terminal, but I still remember the queues at the passport control at arrival and respectively huge queues at the security check at Terminal 3 for the departure.
So I would like to ask you, whether it's possible to make this connection? If not, what should I do with it, as the next Delta plane to Miami is only 4 hours later and arrives basically at night.
In particularly, I'm interested, whether I will be issued and boarding pass for the flight to Miami in Moscow, how crowded the airport (T3) is on Thursday at around 2pm and will appreciate any tips on how to do the connection in the most efficient manner.
I understand, that it was easier to buy some KLM ticket with international connection at Amsterdam, but now it's done, and I cannot return it.

Wouldn't feel comfortable with this connection. Sometimes DL31 arrives in T4 and the MIA flights almost always depart from T2/T3 which means you will have to change terminals and go through security again. The JFK TSA lines are notoriously long (even SkyPriority folks can wait up to 45 minutes). Even if your flight arrives T3, it's still not something I'd feel comfortable with.

The sort-of good news is DL will re-book you on the next JFK-MIA flight which departs at 7:40pm, provided there is space available.

If you're still within the 24 purchase window, call and see about changing to the later JFK-MIA flight.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 3:10 pm

I just bought the ticket from Moscow to Miami via JFK (DL 31 & DL 141 in one ticket) with the connection time 1h 30 min. [...]

When is your flight? What month at least (Summer is busier than say, November). Which cabin are you flying in? Do you have status? Are you a US citizen or permanent resident?

All these things have an impact on the connection time.
You should have both boarding passes issued in SVO, and if you are checking a bag, there is a re-check area right after the customs inspection which would save you a few minutes.

I think 90 minutes is doable but tight - so be prepared to wait for the next flight. Also, if you are flexible, look into flying into FLL or another area airport - which may give you a bigger window to connect to...

Finally, watch for schedule changes. If the flight time gets any shorter, you can ask for a free reroute. The minimum connection time at JFK for international to domestic is 1h45m. So, if you get into the illegal connection zone, you have a good chance of getting a routing you prefer (via AMS or CDG for example)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:33 pm

When is your flight? What month at least (Summer is busier than say, November). Which cabin are you flying in? Do you have status? Are you a US citizen or permanent resident?
You should have both boarding passes issued in SVO, and if you are checking a bag, there is a re-check area right after the customs inspection which would save you a few minutes...

... The minimum connection time at JFK for international to domestic is 1h45m. So, if you get into the illegal connection zone, you have a good chance of getting a routing you prefer (via AMS or CDG for example)
Oakshadow and goodandclassy, thanks for prompt replies.

Answering the quoted questions. My flight is 30th August, economy class. I have only Aeroflot silver card and am not sure it will work with Delta properly. In addition I'm not a US citizen. So far, everything seems to be against me.
Is it some kind a dedicated re-check area and should I leave the security zone for this, or it's just a usual bag drop counter at the terminal?

Could you dwell a little bit about the legal connection time? Is it stated by airport authority or something? It's strange as I bought the ticket at the delta web-site. I wonder if I should contact Delta reps in Moscow, or if it's better to call to US.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Madsi:

These are the steps:
Disembark and head to US immigration to be processed
After clearing US immigration you pick up you checked baggage (if any)
Clear US customs.
Drop of baggage at onward baggage drop.

If SVO flight is at T3:
Head to TSA security check
You will be in T3, head over to your gate which will be in T2, T3/T2 are connected airside by a walkway.

IF SVO flight is at T4:
Head out to airtrain, take it to T3/T2(same stop)
Enter terminal, clear TSA security and head to gate.

NOTE - T2 gate numbers are a continuation of the T3 gate numbers.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,

As I recall, the minimum connection time international to domestic at JFK is 105 minutes, ie. 1H:45M.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.