Old Apr 19, 2014, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RatherBeOnATrain
General information on buddy passes: Delta Air Lines Employee & Guest Travel Guide
Print Wikipost

Buddy Passes: The Definitive Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
facts, not emotion

Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
That isn't what I posted about. What is the point of Delta handing out PMUs to supposedly valuable customers if it chooses to upgrade a non-rev rather than letting the supposedly valuable customers redeem the PMUs and gain the upgrade. There is a similar issue with upgrades paid for with miles. Delta should be reducing its outstanding mileage liability and keeping the customers happy rather than upgrading non-revs.

I'll ignore your insulting personal remarks which were frankly well off base.
Celtic, it appears to me that Columbia is a DL employee and given the annoucement yesterday under a fair amount of stress and upheaval, so maybe we can cut him/her some slack for the unneccesary personal comments.

DL, IME, will not give a seat to a non-rev when an elite is elligible for an upgrade and asked for it. Non-revs are those that come on board last, dressed nicely. So if people are seated before you, they are revenue pax. If people are in BE with jeans or tank tops or generally sloppy outfits, revenue pax. If you are entitled to an upgrade as a Plt, and space is available, Dl will give it to you. Non-revs are litterally last.

But, I thought you were also suggesting that DL should upgrade Y-class people over non-revs, which would be a different discussion. To me the question is should Y-class be upgraded to F if seats available as a general policy as done by CO? As a pax, that makes sense to me. Let's hoist a Guinness and find a way to fly to a sunny, warm destination
Old Sep 9, 2004, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Celtic, it appears to me that Columbia is a DL employee and given the annoucement yesterday under a fair amount of stress and upheaval, so maybe we can cut him/her some slack for the unneccesary personal comments.

DL, IME, will not give a seat to a non-rev when an elite is elligible for an upgrade and asked for it. ...............
Slack already cut........ as for Delta's international upgrade policy, particularly their same day policy, I suggest you search this forum and you'll see why it generates such annoyance!
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
Slack already cut........ as for Delta's international upgrade policy, particularly their same day policy, I suggest you search this forum and you'll see why it generates such annoyance!
Celtic:

I am the last person to support or endorse DL. I don't agree with their policies most of the time and am I not defending their int'l upgrade policy. It is very obvious that is offends/irritates most Elites.

All I am saying is that I don't believe that DL upgrades non-revs to BE before Elites. I spoke again today with a DL insider (who dislikes the company almost as much as I do) and s/he confirmed that non-revs are always last. But maybe a DL lurker can shed light on this.

Last edited by Deltahater; Sep 12, 2004 at 8:30 pm
Old Sep 10, 2004, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
My 4/4 segments on DL flying on a buddy pass were not upgraded. And I left Sept 11, 2002 - supposedly a low travel day. I flew both domestic and international segments - I am sure DL upgraded others instead. I am sure friends sometimes upgrade friends - but don't think buddy pass travellers often take precedence over supported upgrades for elites.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 9:17 pm

All I am saying is that I don't believe that DL upgrades non-revs to BE before Elites.
It happens. I've seen it happen and so have others. It also happens with upgrades to first on domestic flights. Maybe it is happening less domestically with the introduction of the automated gate systems and automated upgrades. If and when they introduce same day upgrades on international flights we'll see how well it works then.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by xooz
Disagree with indufan's comment "A bigger issue is that if the person on the buddy pass was going to go the destination whether they used the buddy pass or not and it could be up to a full fare non-restricted ticket ..."

No "right thinking" person uses buddy passes for a trip they are committed to. I have plenty of friends who have used them and virtually all of them are spur of the moment things. That is the primary beauty of them.. you can sometimes decide today to leave tomorrow.

Very few dollars are left on the table because the buddy pass user MUST fly and uses a buddy pass. A full fare, non-restricted ticket is not the competition for a buddy pass. A LUT fare is, and beats a buddy pass by a mile in many cases.
It doesn't have to be time critical to be a trip that you will indeed take. I just went to the US Open for 3 days, it's a two week event that I could have went on any of the days.

But it does happen for business purposes. I asked a guy when his flight home was once and his reply was that he wasn't exactly sure. He was going from SLC to ATL. Actually I sat down with him and found out that he probably wasn't going to make it for several days on the non-stops but suggested that he route to LAS. He did and he made it.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 1:23 pm

Exclamation Buddy Pass - No Codeshare - Eff 01JAN05

I know there are a few FlyerTalkers that use Buddy Passes from time to time. Just wanted to advise you of an important change coming January 1, 2005. No more travel on codeshare flights.

The following quote is from a Memo dated October 19, 2004.

Effective January 1, 2005, Delta Family & Friends certificate travel will no longer be permitted on SkyTeam and codeshare partner flights, even if that flight carries a Delta code. Family and Friends tickets will be valid for travel only on Delta, Song, Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Chautauqua, Comair and SkyWest flights. This action does not apply to Delta or Delta Connection employees and their eligible pass riders, including travel companions.

All Family & Friends travel on SkyTeam and any other codeshare partners must be completed by December 31, 2004. Completely unused tickets may be exchanged for tickets on Delta or Delta Connection flights, and the $25 reissue fee will be waived in this instance. Unused tickets and partially used tickets may be refunded according to Delta's corporate refund policies.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Bummer. Will they still be good if DL goes into bankruptcy?
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:21 pm

Sorry, I do not have information about how things will be handled in a bankruptcy-type scenario.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:39 pm

Happy New Year

I wonder how many Buddy pass riders will be stuck at their overseas destination with a hang-over and no way to come back home???

Hopefully People get the message before they fly out....
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:41 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I wonder how many Buddy pass riders will be stuck at their overseas destination with a hang-over and no way to come back home???

Hopefully People get the message before they fly out....
Well they are giving over two months notice. Not sure people can claim ignorance after New Years.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:50 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
I do realize that I may be beating a dead horse, and pushing somebody's botton here, and that there are several threads dealing with buddy passes

Since it seems everyone and his grandmother - except us paying FF's of course - can get a buddy pass, I still have to express my puzzlement that an airline struggling for survival is handing out buddy passes enabling peripheral aquiantices of Delta employees to go i.e. Transatlantic in BE for around $200.

Is there a limit to the number of buddy passes each employee can hand out? Am I the only one who believes this "perk" to be archaeic and somewhat offensive in times of teetering on bankrupcy?

HRRMMMPHH!!
Old Oct 20, 2004, 2:52 pm

Really?

Originally Posted by andymo99
Well they are giving over two months notice. Not sure people can claim ignorance after New Years.
I am not sure how DL is giving notice to the flyers. DL is probably doing all they can do, but it seems that is upon the employee to inform the friends and family flyer.

Often these are sold (even though illegal) and sometimes DL employees quit and do not get the message that I presume was posted on the DL intranet.

I was not faulting DL, I was just feeling bad for pax who think they are getting a deal for a trip of a lifetime and then get stuck...
Old Oct 20, 2004, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
I do realize that I may be beating a dead horse, and pushing somebody's botton here, and that there are several threads dealing with buddy passes

Since it seems everyone and his grandmother - except us paying FF's of course - can get a buddy pass, I still have to express my puzzlement that an airline struggling for survival is handing out buddy passes enabling peripheral aquiantices of Delta employees to go i.e. Transatlantic in BE for around $200.

Is there a limit to the number of buddy passes each employee can hand out? Am I the only one who believes this "perk" to be archaeic and somewhat offensive in times of teetering on bankrupcy?

HRRMMMPHH!!
My mother in a 30 year Delta Employee, Yes they are limited. In her case we only recieve 4 per year, down from 8 a couple years ago.

Frankly, getting anywhere in the DL system (atleast from SEA) on a buddy pass is a Gamble at best in this post 9/11 environment.

By post 911, i refer to the fact that DL cut back so many flights, trying to fill the planes up more and leave less seats empty.

Last year 2003 i dont think i used a single pass, this year i have yet to book one either.

I pay significantly more money to Fly AS or CO with a confirmed seat.

The benefit used to be valuable, IMO it isnt anymore

CHRIS
Old Oct 20, 2004, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck

HRRMMMPHH!!
I was recently told by a Delta employee that she receives 7 passes per year. I would imagine it varies according to senority.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.