Is Platinum Medallion Status Worth it?

Old Oct 22, 2002, 8:28 am

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
Thanks for all the input everyone.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jeffreyt:
That's good advice. Because if you don't make PM for 2004... all the 800 MSU's you earned this year will be lost at the end of the next year, and you will only start out with 10 the following year. You are really penalized if you are a PM downgrading to a GM. That's why I always stay PM, I guess. </font>
Actually, something in the way of a big stink should be made about this. If an individual PM were to fly 80,000 base miles
this year and thereby be demoted to GM, he/she would have had about 60-80 MSUs in his account for next year instead of 8!

Old Oct 22, 2002, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Actually, something in the way of a big stink should be made about this...</font>
DL policies and 'big stinks' go together like a pig and mud...
Old Oct 22, 2002, 8:33 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Actually, something in the way of a big stink should be made about this. If an individual PM were to fly 80,000 base miles
this year and thereby be demoted to GM, he/she would have had about 60-80 MSUs in his account for next year instead of 8!

</font>
RobertS, to be reasonable, DL would be entitled to subtract out all the MSUs that would have been burned by upgrade flying while PM. I am sure that for nearly all of us, this would leave us with less than 60-80 MSUs and more than 8 MSUs. I could do the math for myself, but I'm on the road and sans data.

[This message has been edited by andymo99 (edited 10-26-2002).]
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:14 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
RobertS, to be reasonable, DL would be entitled to subtract out all the MSUs that would have been burned by upgrade flying while PM. I am sure that for nearly all of us, this would leave us with less than 60-80 PMUs and more than 8 PMUs. I could do the math for myself, but I'm on the road and sans data.</font>
Last year, GM. This year, PM. Next year, GM unless something really bizarre happens.

Two months before the end of my PM time, 90+ SMUs will expire. There is no way I've used that many this year--so if I were getting credited with what I'm earning, I'd be doing fine. Sigh.

Old Oct 26, 2002, 2:08 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Here's the data for me:

Base miles YTD: a hair under 150K.
=&gt;MSUs I woulda earned at 8 per 10K = 112.

MSUs I woulda burned had they taken some out each time I was upgraded = ~73 (I note that this is approximate due to a variety of factors, but is reasonably close nonetheless).

Net MSUs that I would have gained = 29. (This surplus is easily explained by insULT fares, Shuttle flights, DLX, Connection, and especially the double base promotions that caused accelerated accumulation of MSUs).

So my first reaction is that, if I was dropped to GM from PM and only given 8 MSUs to start my account, I would be cheated from 21 MSUs. BUT, we also have to remember that if I was beinng dropped from PM to GM, then I would not have 150K base miles YTD... I would have at most 99,999 base miles YTD, or a decrease of 33%. To be fair, we should decrease my surplus by 1/3, to 20. Now, I am only being "cheated" out of 12 MSUs upon my PM--&gt;GM demotion.

Hey, this is only one guy's stats, but I think it illustrates that the injustice is not quite as great as has been claimed.

Old Oct 26, 2002, 10:02 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
andymo, your surplus calculation ignores the fact that you're usually using the SMUs you earned last year. Remember, I have 90+ that expire 2002-12-31, so the ones I'd be earning this year are unlikely to ever be touched by travel this year.
Old Oct 26, 2002, 10:54 pm

Ah, good point. I overlooked that entirely. I have 69 set to expire from last year. AND, I stopped earning them last year in July when I hit PM. Excellent catch, CKDGM.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 6:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andymo99:
RobertS, to be reasonable, DL would be entitled to subtract out all the MSUs that would have been burned by upgrade flying while PM. I am sure that for nearly all of us, this would leave us with less than 60-80 MSUs and more than 8 MSUs. I could do the math for myself, but I'm on the road and sans data.

</font>
Andy, I was a GM for several years, and upgraded almost every time I was eligible. I NEVER ran out of MSUs for that year, and always started the new year with a boatload of MSUs. There are more and more opportunities on DL to earn base miles (and therefore MSUs) but are not candidates to use MSUs, like the shuttle, DL Express and the DL connection, not to mention trips taken on LUser fares as well as international trips. So all things considered, the PM to GM MSU problem is a basic flaw in DL's SkyMiles system, and every PM should bring this up to them. One never knows when the PM to GM demotion will be YOU... change in business environment, illness etc.

[This message has been edited by RobertS975 (edited 10-27-2002).]
Old Oct 28, 2002, 6:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
But maybe this is not a flaw, but instead a clever marketing tool implemented by DL. I'm sure there are more than a couple PM's who have flown a few extra R/Ts to maintain status and not fall back into the abyss.

GMF
Old Oct 28, 2002, 12:07 pm

RobertS, intereting arguments, and overall, I agree that PMs dropping to GM should get more than 8 MSUs.

However, as you describe it, given double base miles, Connection, Shuttle, Express, international, etc... The whole argument is irrelevant because even starting with 8, you accrue faster than redeem. We hear of few (if any) people on this board who start with 8 MSUs and have to buy more.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 1:06 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Platinum Medallion is definitely NOT worth it.

Being able to confirm first class when you buy tickets is a pain in the nether regions -- especially when two of you are flying together. Why, you have to either book two different PNRs or call SMS! Such an inconvenience.

Plus those flight attendants always pestering you if you want a drink or your coat hung!

Do you know how much of a drag it is climbing all those stairs to the CRCs? Then there's the indignity of having to show ID to get in! (I know I could wait for the elevator, but I'm impatient, you know.)

And I was horrified to discover SNA does not have a Crown Room at all! Delta thinks it is a real airline? Not!

Better to stay away from that worthless Platinum status. (Sorry, gotta go now, making a mileage run soon....)

------------------
"Service" should be a noun, not a verb.
Delta Flyers' Guide
E-mail on the Flyers' Guide
Old Oct 28, 2002, 1:52 pm

IMHO, No it is not worth it!

The ability to upgrade at the time of ticket purchase can be frustrating at times.
For example, DL 1171 SDF-ATL for this Sunday. A 727 aircraft with 12 First Class seats, 9 of those seats are open yet a PM trying to upgrade that flight as of today will see the word "WAITLIST".....
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:22 pm

RobertS, intereting arguments, and overall, I agree that PMs dropping to GM should get more than 8 MSUs.

However, as you describe it, given double base miles, Connection, Shuttle, Express, international, etc... The whole argument is irrelevant because even starting with 8, you accrue faster than redeem. We hear of few (if any) people on this board who start with 8 MSUs and have to buy more.
</font>
I suspect that very few MSUs are actually purchased. After all, the upgradeable fares are often twice as much as the least expensive fares, and to pay about $40 per MSU on top of the higher K/Q fare is bordering on the absurd.

Old Oct 28, 2002, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LexPassenger:
...Being able to confirm first class when you buy tickets is a pain in the nether regions...</font>
Confirming those F tickets are a pain on the wallet those 'nether regions' rest on while seated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.