MD-90 Aircraft: The Definitive Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by efis123
The air would not have been hot, the yellow large diameter hoses are for cold (already conditioned) air that goes right into the air conditioning distribution ducts...
...and if you look ther is usually a large A/C unit on top of or below the end of the jetway, connected to the yellow tubing.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 7:37 pm

Chinese MD-90's

Has anyone heard anything more about Delta picking up some used MD-90's from China?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 1:18 am

Programs: DL GM,US GP,Hilton Dia,Marriott Pla
Say it's not so....
Old Nov 24, 2007, 4:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Hmmm, I haven't heard anything but I'm a fan of the Mad Dogs (they're just so smooth and quiet)....not sure what they would be like from China. I assume DL would have the cabin reconfigured and the passengers would not be able to tell where it came from.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
I thought it was DL's stated goal to consolidate its fleet and as part of that retiring the MD-90s.
Is that still not the case?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
I thought it was DL's stated goal to consolidate its fleet and as part of that retiring the MD-90s.
Is that still not the case?
What do you run into SLC to replace them. You want a "high and hot" capable a/c for SLC, and of the alternatives, the 738 is a much better choice for that than the M88; but if you are Delta, you'd likely want the 738s on long haul transcons (rather than short haul routes out of SLC...)
Old Nov 24, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by HappyCoachFlyer
What do you run into SLC to replace them. You want a "high and hot" capable a/c for SLC, and of the alternatives, the 738 is a much better choice for that than the M88; but if you are Delta, you'd likely want the 738s on long haul transcons (rather than short haul routes out of SLC...)
Also, Saudia is retiring their MD-90s, however, I don't think Delta will pick these up as they use a cockpit that is not found on any other carrier's MD-90s. Last time I have heard they will be coming from China Southern. I haven't heard any updates ever since. Additional MD-90s would be quite useful at SLC, and could free 737-800s on longer routes from Delta's other three hubs (ATL, CVG, and JFK).
Old Nov 24, 2007, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Delta 764
Also, Saudia is retiring their MD-90s, however, I don't think Delta will pick these up as they use a cockpit that is not found on any other carrier's MD-90s. Last time I have heard they will be coming from China Southern. I haven't heard any updates ever since. Additional MD-90s would be quite useful at SLC, and could free 737-800s on longer routes from Delta's other three hubs (ATL, CVG, and JFK).

No updates on this possible acquisition yet. A good friend of mine who is QA with TechOps said that DL had some guys over in China looking over maintenance paperwork and other issues regarding the China Southern AC. They reason DL might be after these AC is that they are registered in the US--thus everything to do with them has to conform to FAA/DOT compliance and regulatory affairs as opposed to AC that are not registered in the US.

Currently, this AC acquisition is still up in the air. Nothing has been decided about them.

Personally, I would rather not get these AC...I'm sick of Mad Dogs of all stripes--be it the 88 or the 90.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:16 pm
BHB

Programs: DL PM/SC, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz Five Star
So I flew on a MD-90 for the first time today...

And it was an unusual route, too: PHL-ATL. That route normally has all other mainline aircraft, but I've never seen a -90 on it. In any event, the flight was comfortable, quiet, and pleasant, save for the go-around in ATL caused by what the pilot described as "an indicator telling us the gear are not down." The 12-seat F cabin feels much more cramped v the 14 seats on the -88's, though that's largely an illusion.

Interesting plane, nonetheless.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I've seen a 757 scheduled for this route also (which is my fav plane). But I will say I like th MD 88/90. Esp in F, very quiet and comfortable.

Dave
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Yeah, I flew on the MD-90 from ATL-BWI last weekend, and I felt the F cabin was extremely cramped as well. Then again, I had just come off 7F on the 764, so....ya know.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:18 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I flew my first MD-90 this year too. Typical MD-90 route of SLC-LAX. However, I see they are now using the MD-90 on the IAD-ATL once in a while.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:26 pm
BHB

Originally Posted by Davescj
I've seen a 757 scheduled for this route also (which is my fav plane). But I will say I like th MD 88/90. Esp in F, very quiet and comfortable.

Dave
It's usually a combination of 752s and -88's, with a few CRJ700's and 738's thrown in. This was the first time I've seen a -90 on this route, and I fly it quite often.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:43 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
Originally Posted by BHB
And it was an unusual route, too: PHL-ATL. That route normally has all other mainline aircraft, but I've never seen a -90 on it. In any event, the flight was comfortable, quiet, and pleasant, save for the go-around in ATL caused by what the pilot described as "an indicator telling us the gear are not down." The 12-seat F cabin feels much more cramped v the 14 seats on the -88's, though that's largely an illusion.

Interesting plane, nonetheless.
There has frequently been an MD-90 for the last few months on flight # 1008 (ATL-PHL) and flight # 1015 (PHL-ATL).
Old Dec 8, 2008, 6:51 pm
BHB

Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
There has frequently been an MD-90 for the last few months on flight # 1008 (ATL-PHL) and flight # 1015 (PHL-ATL).
I was on 1015. I'm usually much earlier or much later, which is why I've never seen the MD-90 on this route before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.