Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Oh, oh. I booked an award ticket for my wife to join me in Athens on a trip half a year from now. I'm not worried about the long haul leg but there's a short regional flight on Alitalia! I specifically asked the DL agent about the risk and he said that once the award ticket is issued then it's like any other ticket and DL will protect the passenger just like a revenue ticket. So if Alitalia ceases operation DL would get her on another flight. I guess Rome to Athens isn't the hardest thing to figure out but now I'm a little worried...
I've had an INTL award ticket route be discontinued by the partner and they re-routed me. It added a connection but they definitely got me where I needed to go with a minimum of fuss.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Oh, oh. I booked an award ticket for my wife to join me in Athens on a trip half a year from now. I'm not worried about the long haul leg but there's a short regional flight on Alitalia! I specifically asked the DL agent about the risk and he said that once the award ticket is issued then it's like any other ticket and DL will protect the passenger just like a revenue ticket. So if Alitalia ceases operation DL would get her on another flight. I guess Rome to Athens isn't the hardest thing to figure out but now I'm a little worried...
If DL flies to the destination, to they can - and should - get you to there. DL flies to ATH so there's always that. Also you could do a double connection such as FCO-AMS-ATH or FCO-CDG-ATH, or fly in via AMS or CDG more directly (if the KL or AF flight availability). There's plenty of options to get to ATH on SkyTeam, so if anything is available you can be always changed to that, and failing all else (and may be more preferable anyway), you can just fly via DL direct to ATH, that DL will surely get you on and can easily do in case of a cancelation.

The problem would be a serious one if only one SkyTeam airline flies on the route, and then they cancel the flight/route...then you are in trouble, unless there is through somewhere else (double or triple connection) you can go on SkyTeam AND that has open award availability at the time. Then the best case scenario is a much longer flight and more time wasted in transit, while the worst case scenario is a refund and having to buy an alternate ticket via other means.

In your case though, no worries.

Originally Posted by bergamini
I've had an INTL award ticket route be discontinued by the partner and they re-routed me. It added a connection but they definitely got me where I needed to go with a minimum of fuss.
As long as DL flies to there, OR there is other SkyTeam airline availability to get to there, yes, and then you can break the routing rules, etc., as long as ST availability to get to there, or DL has its own flight(s) to the destination.
CommentatusMaximus likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Just booked 3 D1 tix MBS-MSP-HND over spring break (late March to early April) for 160k each (I think that is "low" these days). There was still some availability on the nonstop MSP-HND and out of LAN and DTW on several days in the second half of March as well. Glad I could use most of my remaining miles without an insane amount of connections.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Thanks flyerCO, bergamini, and RealHJ!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:20 pm

Well after fighting DL.com and the Mobile website over the weekend when they borked the partner award search, I saw that the availability returned. However, the website was conspiring against me and the Delta twitter folks weren't very helpful, but I was able to get some help on the phone. I was trying to book 2 pax in business from ATL to Delhi at the end of December for something less than 120k each.

Some sleuthing revealed two pieces of the puzzle (ATL-DTW-LHR on DL in what used to be 'low' + LHR-AMS-DEL on KLM at standard partner availability).

Agent wasn't able to see it at first, and then got a sell denied on the LHR-AMS, but she did some magic and then it worked. ^

ATL-DTW: DL 737 F
DTW-LHR: DL 767 J
LHR-AMS: KLM 737 "J"
AMS-DEL: KLM 747 J

Total each: 97.5k DL Skypesos + $43 USD

This may be my last ride on the 747, so even though some of the other KLM planes may have a better seat, I'm pumped.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
A couple of weeks ago I found 2 one-way D1 tickets for next August, Munich-Key West for 87500 +$325 each, all on DL metal. With my obsessive nature, I randomly checked again today and found the same flight for 70000 plus an extra 75 cents. Called in and got it changed without a hitch. Nice rebate.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by cayohueso
A couple of weeks ago I found 2 one-way D1 tickets for next August, Munich-Key West for 87500 +$325 each, all on DL metal. With my obsessive nature, I randomly checked again today and found the same flight for 70000 plus an extra 75 cents. Called in and got it changed without a hitch. Nice rebate.
This is probably one of the most underrated benefits of PM/DM status.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
Found 10k per person roundtrip (!!!) tix LAX-SEA-LAX for next June Always a competitive route, these particular tix price at USD 199.00 Main cabin. Grabbed 5 of them since we’re doing an Alaska Cruise and assigned exit row seats to everyone.

Old Oct 24, 2017, 4:27 pm

I'm amazed there are any success stories. The award search is atrocious! Haven't had to search Int'l award lately, but what a mess it has become.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by EVA777
I'm amazed there are any success stories. The award search is atrocious! Haven't had to search Int'l award lately, but what a mess it has become.
It's not that bad... and there is more than one way to search .
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by EVA777
In other words, it has been "enhanced" and is working exactly the way DL intends it to.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by nichojo
It's not that bad... and there is more than one way to search .
Please enlighten us. ^
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by philemer
Please enlighten us. ^
FlyingBlue search engine is a good place to start. Call to book. Easy.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Persistence and patience - I recently retired so have booked several trips for next year:

January — DCA-MVD-DCA in J for 150,000 miles and $71. DL as far as GRU, G3 GRU-MVD.
March — DCA-KUL/SIN-DCA in J for 190,000 miles and $195. DL rt DCA-JFK, CZ JFK-KUL, KE SIN-JFK. The KE flights are on a 777 and 380, so old style business class seats. CZ transPac is 777 lie flat. 4 hour flight CAN-KUL is 319.
April — DCA-MUC/PRG-DCA in J for 140,000 miles and $86. Open jaws increase the fees but are still bookable.
September —DCA-PRG/BUD-DCA in J for 140,000 miles and $116. This has CDG connections both directions while the MUC connection is nonstop ATL-MUC.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:03 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by nittany987
Well after fighting DL.com and the Mobile website over the weekend when they borked the partner award search, I saw that the availability returned. However, the website was conspiring against me and the Delta twitter folks weren't very helpful, but I was able to get some help on the phone. I was trying to book 2 pax in business from ATL to Delhi at the end of December for something less than 120k each.

Some sleuthing revealed two pieces of the puzzle (ATL-DTW-LHR on DL in what used to be 'low' + LHR-AMS-DEL on KLM at standard partner availability).

Agent wasn't able to see it at first, and then got a sell denied on the LHR-AMS, but she did some magic and then it worked. ^

ATL-DTW: DL 737 F
DTW-LHR: DL 767 J
LHR-AMS: KLM 737 "J"
AMS-DEL: KLM 747 J

Total each: 97.5k DL Skypesos + $43 USD

This may be my last ride on the 747, so even though some of the other KLM planes may have a better seat, I'm pumped.
Pumped about paying 97,500 miles for an award that would cost 70,000 on American!? And not only that you would get to fly on wonderful airlines like Qatar and Etihad. So on DL you pay a 35% premium in miles ( at minimum) to experience the ever crappy SkyTeam international travel experience!

I am never pumped about DL awards. I just use my miles and think "oops" cannot wait to switch back in 2018

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.