Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:40 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Time flies when you are having fun. Off topic, but when I first moved to the US, Southwest had a direct flight MCI-MHT - Manchester New Hampshire was quite a convenient little airport. Certainly more convenient than BOS.
MHT is 25 minutes north of my residence in NH; BOS is around 45 minutes south ("no traffic"). MHT is super convenient. WN used to have a MHT-LAS-MHT nonstop that I loved; not sure if it's around anymore. We do fly MHT-BWI-MHT on WN.

AFAIK, Delta now has 2x mainline service MHT-ATL-MHT.

I'm testing AMS-JFK-X-LGA-MHT in two weeks, mostly due to the 17:15 KLM departure from AMS, which effectively gives me the entire day. I only have a carry-on and Global Entry; so I'm thinking the 1 hour 55 minute connection (JFK-LGA transfer after 19:20 in the evening) should be quite doable (TSA Pre-Check, and all).
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I'm testing AMS-JFK-X-LGA-MHT in two weeks, mostly due to the 17:15 KLM departure from AMS, which effectively gives me the entire day. I only have a carry-on and Global Entry; so I'm thinking the 1 hour 55 minute connection (JFK-LGA transfer after 19:20 in the evening) should be quite doable (TSA Pre-Check, and all).
If you're early, you can probably do it via subway/bus (SkyTrain to E to Roosevelt to Q70 express). [Yes, I'm insane, but I prefer the train for various reasons, including a slightly lower time variance.]
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by sethb
If you're early, you can probably do it via subway/bus (SkyTrain to E to Roosevelt to Q70 express). [Yes, I'm insane, but I prefer the train for various reasons, including a slightly lower time variance.]
And that Q70 is supposed to be really quick now -- something like 8 minutes from Roosevelt! I've always been driven (either by friends/family or by cab) to/from LGA, but I might give that a shot at some point.

-J.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
And that Q70 is supposed to be really quick now -- something like 8 minutes from Roosevelt! I've always been driven (either by friends/family or by cab) to/from LGA, but I might give that a shot at some point.
It is really quick; add another 5-10 minutes for the wait for one, and a few more depending on which stop you want (employee, D, C, B).
Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
First DL flight in 15 years

Booked with a four hour connection in SLC. There is a connection that's only an hour or so in SLC (but it was twice the price when I booked).

Is there any possibility that I could get put on the earlier connection? Will there definitely be a fee? I have no DL status (obviously) but am AS MVPG. Tips/tricks/wisdom?

Would be happy to be pointed to a thread that answers

TIA
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by GW McLintock

-J.
It is really quick; add another 5-10 minutes for the wait for one, and a few more depending on which stop you want (employee, D, C, B).
THANKS! I do expect the flight to arrive a "bit' earlier than blocked time. Was hoping to "try out" the new American Express Centurion Lounge at LGA; so I'll probably just Uber-X over to LGA. (partly also due to the fact that I'll be pretty tired at that hour, being on CET, and having been up prior to 6am)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

THANKS! I do expect the flight to arrive a "bit' earlier than blocked time. Was hoping to "try out" the new American Express Centurion Lounge at LGA; so I'll probably just Uber-X over to LGA. (partly also due to the fact that I'll be pretty tired at that hour, being on CET, and having been up prior to 6am)
Unfortunately (for those of us on DL, not you this trip) the Centurion Lounge is in B, and there doesn't appear to be any airside connection with C/D.

I wonder if it's possible to get through Security Theater in B with a boarding pass for C. (It's not like the TSA pays all that much attention.)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, United Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd
First DL flight in 15 years

Booked with a four hour connection in SLC. There is a connection that's only an hour or so in SLC (but it was twice the price when I booked).

Is there any possibility that I could get put on the earlier connection? Will there definitely be a fee? I have no DL status (obviously) but am AS MVPG. Tips/tricks/wisdom?

Would be happy to be pointed to a thread that answers

TIA
There will definitely be a $50.00 fee and you can only confirm the change if the same fare bucket is available. Otherwise you will be standby and priority will be given to medallions on standby. If the earlier flight was selling for double the price then it's probably pretty full and you likely won't get on the earlier one. Call DL the day of the flight and ask if they have Same Day Confirmed availability for the earlier flight. If they don't then ask to be put on standby, and go to the departure gate when you get to SLC and make sure you're on the standby list.

You can see DL's rules on same day travel changes here.

Last edited by payingdues; Aug 31, 2014 at 2:59 pm Reason: Added link
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:11 pm

Unfortunately (for those of us on DL, not you this trip) the Centurion Lounge is in B, and there doesn't appear to be any airside connection with C/D.

I wonder if it's possible to get through Security Theater in B with a boarding pass for C. (It's not like the TSA pays all that much attention.)
I am on Delta LGA-MHT, but I recalled Ben tried the lounge while flying Delta; so I figured I'd give it a shot.... time permitting, of course.

but, definitely requires the inter-terminal bus :

I was greeted by Sharon, who was fabulous. She couldn’t have greeted me with any more enthusiasm than she did. She explained I’d have to take a bus to the other terminal, though suggested I stay in the lounge as long as possible. I was curious what her background was (like, do they hire people with airline experience or American Express experience?). Interestingly she had worked for Delta for over 30 years, and then American Express for several years, so you couldn’t pick a more “qualified” person to welcome you at the lounge.
per the blog comments :

It’s less than a five minute bus ride, and the bus runs frequently. Took me maybe 15 minutes from leaving the lounge to get to the Delta terminal.
edit to add :

Definitely one of my more interesting multi-segment itineraries :

Last edited by baccarat_king; Aug 31, 2014 at 3:24 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by payingdues
There will definitely be a $50.00 fee and you can only confirm the change if the same fare bucket is available.
There is one exception to that. Before checking in, look to see how heavily booked your scheduled flight is. If it looks heavy, tell the person checking you in that you do not care which flight you are on, but as it seems that the connecting flight may be overbooked, you are willing to get on the earlier one.

They'll look at the booking for both flights and if they agree that the later one is in danger of being overbooked, will book you onto the earlier one for free.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
The Centurion lounge is outside security according to their website, so you shouldn't need to deal with TSA at B nor would an airside transfer help. I'm hoping to try it out before a DL flight in October. It looks like it's possible to walk between terminals but might require going outside. The bus may be faster.

BTW, I also plan to try the Q70 on that trip. I'm staying at Le Parker Meridien just south of the park, and it looks like Q70 to Roosevelt and then F or R to 57th St should be an easy trip.

Hours: 6:00 am – 8:00 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 5:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by payingdues
There will definitely be a $50.00 fee and you can only confirm the change if the same fare bucket is available. Otherwise you will be standby and priority will be given to medallions on standby. If the earlier flight was selling for double the price then it's probably pretty full and you likely won't get on the earlier one. Call DL the day of the flight and ask if they have Same Day Confirmed availability for the earlier flight. If they don't then ask to be put on standby, and go to the departure gate when you get to SLC and make sure you're on the standby list.

You can see DL's rules on same day travel changes here.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Dovster
There is one exception to that. Before checking in, look to see how heavily booked your scheduled flight is. If it looks heavy, tell the person checking you in that you do not care which flight you are on, but as it seems that the connecting flight may be overbooked, you are willing to get on the earlier one.

They'll look at the booking for both flights and if they agree that the later one is in danger of being overbooked, will book you onto the earlier one for free.
Interesting. Unfortunately, the flight I'm booked on is only half full, but the earlier connection looks to be very full.

Thanks to you both.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am on Delta LGA-MHT, but I recalled Ben tried the lounge while flying Delta; so I figured I'd give it a shot.... time permitting, of course.

but, definitely requires the inter-terminal bus :
I'm not sure how walkable it is; I might find out in a couple of days. But it's an easy trip either way.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
It's been quite a day. Very busy with packing and organizing. Other than putting some things in my backpack, and one last load of laundry to do in the morning, I'm ready to head back to college tomorrow afternoon. Junior year, here I come.

Every day is one day closer to earning that degree!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Anyone interested in going to AC on Wednesday? Probably Caesars, but I'm open to other places as long as it's a Lucky Streak stop (so not Borgata ).

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.