Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Military Personnel: Upgrades and Other Benefits on Delta Air Lines

Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
Threads on military upgrades never end well. I'm surprised this one has lasted so long.
Well, the Delta forum moderators attempt to give every opportunity at giving a discussion a chance to run its course.

We are keeping a close eye on this thread and will not hesitate to lock it again if necessary.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta forum
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
As far as you military entitlement folks - if you want to give up YOUR upgrade or paid F seat to military person then YOU go right ahead and do so - don't be thinking you can take MY F seat and award it to someone you think is great because of a uniform.
+1

and I subscribe to everything bocastephen says, except for the "they are all volunteers" part. Firefighters also are volunteers, this does not mean we shouldn't feel grateful.

In the case at hand, it is apparent to me that upgrades to uniformed personnel where a non-issue in the pre-9/11 world (in the sense that they were never issued and nobody would feel less patriotic for that).
But now, with action in Iraq and Afghanistan going on, there is this rush to give our men the best seats on a plane. Does it mean all those who went to Somalia were less heroic (not to mention Vietnam) ? Or does it mean we are not actually showing support for our men, but rather for the military campaigns they are participating to ?
It is the latter case, in my opinion, and as such I'll keep my F seat for myself, thank you. I'm already chipping in substantially by paying my taxes and doing so against my will.

Last edited by thesaints; Jan 14, 2009 at 3:51 pm
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by thesaints
In the case at hand, it is apparent to me that upgrades to uniformed personnel where a non-issue in the pre-9/11 world (in the sense that they were never issued and nobody would feel less patriotic for that).
I don't think that was necessarily the case. I'm sure they happened, it was just far less hip to do it than it is now.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:52 pm

No matter how you feel about the upgrades, I would hope everyone who spent time posting to this thread would spend equal time writing to their elected officials about the issues soldiers and veterans face.

Pick a favorite Military and/or vet group, go to their web site and see what issues need action and support. Get involved. Write a letter. Upgrades and Magnetic Ribbons are band-aids for real problems.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by thesaints
...and I subscribe to everything bocastephen says, except for the "they are all volunteers" part. Firefighters also are volunteers, this does not mean we shouldn't feel grateful.....
I hasten to add that I'm sure we all feel grateful - the issue at hand is a product performance one, and not something patriotic. If anyone here wishes to give up their seat for a military person, or chooses to reward a military person in some other way (buy them dinner, etc.), that is great. We should not criticize those who don't, nor should peer pressure be put on other posters (or customers by DL personnel) who elect to keep their F seat.

What we have here is a product defect perpetuated by employees who feel empowered to ignore rules at their pleasure - and the thread includes references to paid upgrades and sloppy handling of the upgrade list, so there are bigger fish to fry here than just military folks getting upgrades.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 9:14 pm

As my "handle" suggests, I'm a proud wife of a U.S. Marine.

Tomorrow, I will be picking him up at the airport in Savannah for his two week leave, after which he will return for another six months.

He has been traveling since Saturday to get from the desert to the city, to Kuwait, to Germany, to the US, to Atlanta, to Savannah. He has been sleeping on the floor, in a chair, and I'm not sure what else. He left wearing his uniform, but if I actually see him in it, I will be surprised - as Marines are not generally authorized to wear their uniforms unless actively working. But I don't know about traveling home for R&R. If he's stinky, well, I'm sorry about that. He probably is too.

I came onto the forum to find out how to get a gate pass - I don't want to wait a second longer to see him - and found this thread.

I haven't seen him in 6 months. I've seen him rarely over the past 3 years, a few weeks here and there. If you are traveling tomorrow and you see a tall woman with a beautiful, curly headed, blue eyed 2 year old girl with flags waving at the gate, waiting for our Marine to hold us once again, please know that if you have been one of those who gave up your seat for my husband, I thank you very much.

We don't expect it, and the rancor generated by military getting seats does sting a bit, as we don't ask for those things. Maybe other branches do it differently, I don't know. All I know is no Marine would ever wear his uniform for an integrity violation of using it to get a seat. I absolutely understand the fury at having to give up a paid seat; I would be frustrated also.

Ahh. A little off track. All I wanted to do was say Thank You to anyone who ever showed military personnel a kindness. It means more than you know, and sometimes is the thread that helps keep our families going. We believe in serving this country and are grateful for what we have.

Sincerely,
Laurie
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:59 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Proud Marine Wife
We don't expect it, and the rancor generated by military getting seats does sting a bit, as we don't ask for those things. Maybe other branches do it differently, I don't know. All I know is no Marine would ever wear his uniform for an integrity violation of using it to get a seat. I absolutely understand the fury at having to give up a paid seat; I would be frustrated also.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Many of us do appreciate the efforts of all military personnel. We'd just prefer to be able to show our appreciation in our own ways, rather than Delta disregarding the published upgrade policies and showing it for us.

To get a gate pass, buy a fully refundable ticket. Many of the airlines fear the TSA so the airlines often say no to even the most reasonable request for a pass such as yours. With a fully-refundable ticket, you don't have to ask anyone's permission for what should be a given. If your daughter is indeed over 2, she'll need a ticket also unless you want to tell Comrade TSA that she is under 2.

Have a great reunion!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Proud Marine Wife
I thank your husband for his service to our Country. I thank you for a very thoughtful first post on Flyertalk.
Wishing you and your family a wonderful reunion....
O2K
DL Mod
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Welcome to FlyerTalk!
To get a gate pass, buy a fully refundable ticket. Many of the airlines fear the TSA so the airlines often say no to even the most reasonable request for a pass such as yours. With a fully-refundable ticket, you don't have to ask anyone's permission for what should be a given. If your daughter is indeed over 2, she'll need a ticket also unless you want to tell Comrade TSA that she is under 2.
Have a great reunion!
Families of deploying/returning service members get gate passes upon request from the carrier on which the service member is flying. No need to deal with refundable tickets or any of the usual tricks. Per TSA :

"Military Family Member Gate Passes

Family members who want to accompany a military service member being deployed to the boarding gate or greet them returning from deployment at the arrival gate may receive passes to enter the secure area of the airport.

Interested military family members should contact their air carrier representative at the departure/arrival airport for proper local procedures."

Also, your Marine can use Continental's Presidents Clubs with a copy of his travel orders. I've done this before with an ID card and a copy of my DA31, but any kind of movement orders should work too.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 4:06 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Honestly, I don't know what's worse - Delta personnel making up their own rules according to personal preference/ignorance or the claims by some that it's somehow our patriotic duty to let a certain class of people receive frequent flier benefits because of their job.

I think this behavior is not going to stop until a bunch of you DL FF folks pen a rather terse note to the appropriate DL VP and Fedex it directly to their office with a demand that this practice cease immediately and all DL GA and FA staff be brought back in line with company standards and policies. Period. It isn't going to get resolved by sending customer service notes to a contracted worker in India named Bob Smith who can hardly remember the name of the airline they're representing. You have three distinct issues that need to be addressed directly - the unauthorized upgrading of military personnel ahead of or in place of otherwise eligible customers, the upgrading of paid upgrades ahead of Elites, and the sloppy or downright deliberate mishandling of the upgrade/standby list due to laziness or an interest in upgrading key persons.

As far as you military entitlement folks - if you want to give up YOUR upgrade or paid F seat to military person then YOU go right ahead and do so - don't be thinking you can take MY F seat and award it to someone you think is great because of a uniform.

I have used my Plat companion privileges on CO to upgrade military people - but ONLY when I've verified with the GA (or now via the PDA site) that no one is still on the list waiting for an upgrade. I will NOT take the upgrade away from a Gold, Silver or companion just because I think it's a nice gesture. FWIW, I've also upgraded a couple regular folks who were flying with a Silver elite who couldn't upgrade them as companions - but ONLY when no one else was on the list, and the seats would otherwise go empty.

The military is all volunteer - for some to think that we owe military folks our F seat, exit row, entrance to club or whatever travel or non-travel related benefit is out there to be nice or show sympathy because they went to Afghanistan or Iraq, give me a break. If you don't want to go to Iraq or Afghanistan or any other global hotpoint, the solution is simple. Don't join the military. If you feel the need to take care of military people, then YOU go ahead and give them YOUR F seat, buy them flowers, take them for dinner, give them a hug or whatever.

[omni_post]Personally, the greatest gift we can give all of them is to bring them home and keep them here, then overhaul the VA to take proper care of the injured and sick.[/omni_post]
This is the most excellent post in this thread. Completely 100% agree. Bravo! ^
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:00 am

All I know is no Marine would ever wear his uniform for an integrity violation of using it to get a seat.
And no one on this forum, on either side of the issue, would be so churlish as to suggest a member of the Armed Forces would wear their uniform on a flight just to earn preferential treatment.

Welcome to FT.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
I came onto the forum to find out how to get a gate pass - I don't want to wait a second longer to see him - and found this thread.
I fly in and out of SAV on a regular basis, and have witnessed many of these homecomings at the gate. I assume the DL agents will give you a gate pass, no problem. Just head to the DL ticket counter (upstairs) all the way to your right once you enter the airport. There is also a USO office in the airport, by the escalators (upstairs)... they may be able to help if there are any problems.

Off Topic, but, one of the most interesting things to witness flying in/out of Savannah is watching the new Marine recruits heading in to Paris Island. Training definitely starts the minute they get off the plane!
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by abefroman329
And no one on this forum, on either side of the issue, would be so churlish as to suggest a member of the Armed Forces would wear their uniform on a flight just to earn preferential treatment.

Welcome to FT.
But it does happen.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by skchin
But it does happen.
I was about to post a "+1" to abefroman's post when his disclaimer of churlishness on this forum was refuted by the very next post.

What specific evidence do you have for Marines -- even though I'm a former Army officer, what the poster was talking about specifically were Marines and their pride in uniform, so let's stick to them -- wearing their uniforms in airports to get preferential treatment?

In many years of flying, I'm not sure I can recall ever seeing a Marine in uniform. If I have, they have been very few. I have seen many Army folks, a few Navy and Air Force personnel in uniform. I myself wore my dress greens when on official business, although that's over 20 years ago now. It never occurred to me that the uniform would get me something, but of course it's wrong to extrapolate my experience to an entire population.

I'm not denying it's possible -- just asking what the evidence is, specifically for Marines.

Last edited by Casimir; Jan 29, 2009 at 1:30 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:22 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Casimir
I was about to post a "+1" to abefroman's post when his disclaimer of churlishness on this forum was refuted by the very next post.

What specific evidence do you have for Marines -- even though I'm a former Army officer, what the poster was talking about specifically were Marines and their pride in uniform, so let's stick to them -- wearing their uniforms in airports to get preferential treatment.

In many years of flying, I'm not sure I can recall ever seeing a Marine in uniform. If I have, they have been very few. I have seen many Army folks, a few Navy and Air Force personnel in uniform. I myself wore my dress greens when on official business, although that's over 20 years ago now. It never occurred to me that the uniform would get me something, but of course it's wrong to extrapolate my experience to an entire population.

I'm not denying it's possible -- just asking what the evidence is, specifically for Marines.
My brother, a Navy Petty Chief, overheard couple Army grunts talking about wearing uniform to obtain possible upgrade in BWI. I'm not sure what the situation was.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.