Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: GM, Marriott Silver, Hertz Gold

If I book LAX to Singapore via NRT in Tokyo with only an hour between connections, is that enough? Does one clear Customs at NRT enroute SIN or is that just deplane and board with no customs in between?

I think I've done this elsewhere with no bureaucracy, but I also think most places require customs first. For example, if I were connecting in ATL from Europe, no way I'd try this at 1 hr connect.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
If the airline books it, you are okay. Also, I think you are a TRANSIT passenger and do not have to do the full customs thing. ??
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:06 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
NRT Connection time

I will be arriving into NRT from HKG and have a 1 hour connection time for my NRT-DTW flight. Do I have to go through customs to get to my connecting flight?
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:10 pm

Programs: NW Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by drjazz
I will be arriving into NRT from HKG and have a 1 hour connection time for my NRT-DTW flight. Do I have to go through customs to get to my connecting flight?

You will have to go through security, but you will not have to pick/re-check your bags.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:13 pm

Customs are require only if you are entering the country. Transiting Japan only requires going thru security.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:15 pm

Having done this, I can tell you you'll have plenty of time. No customs, only security, but they're pretty quick.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:18 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Even if your flight is late getting in, they'll hold the plane. I'm sure you're not alone in making the transfer.

Last edited by hoyateach; Dec 9, 2005 at 1:12 pm
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold
NW and the security at NRT are very used to moving passengers from one plane to another every day as just about every NW flight in asia connect in some way or another in NRT. they're pretty efficient and 1 hour is more than enough.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: NW Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
They do move you through quick and hold the plane if your delayed, but I would advise going straight to the gate to verify the flight time. I have found that the posted flight times are earlier than what is says on your BP and itinerary.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by jpnwa
They do move you through quick and hold the plane if your delayed, but I would advise going straight to the gate to verify the flight time. I have found that the posted flight times are earlier than what is says on your BP and itinerary.
In NRT they post the flight times as departing 15 minutes earlier than actually scheduled to ensure on-time departures. Last-minute boarders may be subjected to a random security check at the gate.

A tip: When boarding, don't be one of the first four people to board the aircraft in NRT. You will definitely be pulled aside for a "random" security check. If your number five you will be the first one on board.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by MarcoPolosFootprints
A tip: When boarding, don't be one of the first four people to board the aircraft in NRT. You will definitely be pulled aside for a "random" security check. If your number five you will be the first one on board.
Nice tip. (Who's archiving all these NW tips? ) I think there's a similar procedure at LGW, as it seems the first handful of boarders always get a secondary screening, in addition to myself (because "I just fit the profile"...).
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:53 pm

Programs: NW, UA, Starwood
Originally Posted by hoyateach
Even if your flight is late getting in, they'll hold the plane. I'm sure you're not alone in making the transfer.
I wouldn't bank too much on holding the plane. I've missed two connections where I thought holding the plane for 15 minutes would have been enough for me to make it. Unfortunately, each time, the plane was gone...
Old Dec 9, 2005, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Elite Addiction
I wouldn't bank too much on holding the plane. I've missed two connections where I thought holding the plane for 15 minutes would have been enough for me to make it. Unfortunately, each time, the plane was gone...
It depends on whether your connecting flight is leaving from a bus gate. They generally don't hold bus gates because the logistics of throw 'em on and slam the door doesn't work and it results in longer delays. If your connection has a jet bridge, they will generally hold the flight on the close ones.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 1:20 am

Programs: NWA Silver
Originally Posted by MarcoPolosFootprints
In NRT they post the flight times as departing 15 minutes earlier than actually scheduled to ensure on-time departures. Last-minute boarders may be subjected to a random security check at the gate.

Great tip and you are exactly right. My mother is a wheelchair assist,so I thought it would be great to get her on first. She went in without me and I was stuck with "random" security check.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:04 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Connection in NRT - DL to NW and NW to DL on return

I'm hoping to fly the ATL-NRT flight on DL which arrives in NRT at 2:25PM connecting to NW NRT-BKK at 6:30PM and returning on BKK-NRT on NW arriving at 2:00PM connecting to DL NRT-ATL at 4:30PM.

My question is on the connection in Tokyo since these are on separate tickets. Would I be able to check-in (also checked baggage) with DL for the NW flight and NW for the DL flight on the return? If not, I assume that I can check-in at the lounge (which one does DL use anyways?). Please also correct me if my assumption that the connection time is perfectly fine.

Thanks!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.