Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX cabin crew base

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2016, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

PDX cabin crew base

I am curious as to how many cabin crew are based at PDX?

What is their seniority?

I am assuming they are there to support the AMS and NRT flights, but do they also fly domestic routes?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Interesting. I thought that intl flights from PDX were operated by SEA crews.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:55 pm

The only PDX FA I know has been working for Delta for 20 years and flies AMS (sometimes returning to other US gateways) almost exclusively.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Not sure of the exact specifics of your question, but to the others, yes: there is a small PDX base. Mostly to support NRT and AMS.

There are also small SAN and TPA bases.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life
Not sure of the exact specifics of your question, but to the others, yes: there is a small PDX base. Mostly to support NRT and AMS.

There are also small SAN and TPA bases.
Aren't these technically "satellite" bases from SEA, MCO and LAX?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
There is also a small base at MIA. I sat next a a deadheaded FA on an LGA-MIA flight last year. She had first worked for Eastern Airlines at MIA, switching to Delta when Eastern folded.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Widgets
The only PDX FA I know has been working for Delta for 20 years and flies AMS (sometimes returning to other US gateways) almost exclusively.
Getting AMS flights regularly with only twenty years senioritty is surprising.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by planecrazy63
Aren't these technically "satellite" bases from SEA, MCO and LAX?
Not 100% sure what you mean by a satellite base. But I have met FAs from PDX, SAN and TPA and according to them they were legit, albeit small, bases. You have to bid to be based there. No different than a larger base.

By satellite base do you mean that the "base management" is in a different city? That may be the case, but I don't think it matters to the FAs, who all start and end their trips in PDX/SAN/TPA.

ORD, PIT and PHL I believe have seasonal, special bases to support winter CDGORD and summer seasonal PIT/PHL-CDG. But those bases are different than the PDX, SAN, TPA bases. PDX, SAN and TPA are permanent, year-round bases.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:16 pm

Not 100% sure what you mean by a satellite base.
Satellite base is DL's official term that refers to small bases that are actually managed as part of a nearby larger base. Because these aren't true bases, it places more responsibility on the FA's based there to manage finding replacements and dealing with other issues as they come up, and I believe FA's that want to be based at one of these have to apply and must meet certain requirements.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 4:47 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WWads
I sat next a deadheaded FA . . . . .
I hate it when that happens . . . . FA, or anyone, for that matter!

Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Getting AMS flights regularly with only twenty years senioritty is surprising.
Perhaps she speaks Dutch fluently.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Not 100% sure what you mean by a satellite base. But I have met FAs from PDX, SAN and TPA and according to them they were legit, albeit small, bases. You have to bid to be based there. No different than a larger base.

By satellite base do you mean that the "base management" is in a different city? That may be the case, but I don't think it matters to the FAs, who all start and end their trips in PDX/SAN/TPA.

ORD, PIT and PHL I believe have seasonal, special bases to support winter CDGORD and summer seasonal PIT/PHL-CDG. But those bases are different than the PDX, SAN, TPA bases. PDX, SAN and TPA are permanent, year-round bases.
PDX, SAN, TPA, MIA are in fact satellite bases. SEA, LAX, MCO, FLL respectively. There are no crew facilities at satellite bases. The ORD base was closed some time ago. I remember a few years ago flying ATL-IAD we had a ORD crew and they told use the base was closing. AFAIK CVG crews usually handle PIT and PHL seasonal CDG flights.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
AFAIK CVG crews usually handle PIT and PHL seasonal CDG flights.
Not sure about PIT, but in the summer, DL opens a temporary satellite base in PHL to handle the PHL-CDG flight. I believe anyone can apply for it, but there are already enough FA's in the PHL area that it basically just saves some from having to commute for the summer. They are used exclusively for the PHL-CDG turns. I've taken the flight before and the purser even announced "On behalf of your Philadelphia based flight crew.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
AFPs? I think I recently heard FLL/MIA would become an official base (non-AFP) soon.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:39 pm

PDX trips

Originally Posted by aussie83
I am curious as to how many cabin crew are based at PDX?

What is their seniority?

I am assuming they are there to support the AMS and NRT flights, but do they also fly domestic routes?
I’m considering xfr to PDX as one of my colleague xfr about 2 yrs ago. Delta PDX flys NRT, AMS and JFK only as of Feb 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.