Wiki Posts
Search

Delta am ex for an 18 y.o.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
Delta am ex for an 18 y.o.

Greetings, My son just turned 18 and has been platinum on Delta for the past 3 years. We get at least 2 emails/week asking him to get an Am ex card. He is a student so doesn't have much if any income, but he is an elite athlete and travels the world with his sport. Most of the time we buy his tickets and he gets reimbursed. As I max out my am ex I thought it would be good to get him his own as he might as well get the bonus miles. Any way to do this without him having an income? He only uses his visa card he has now for expenses and this card is linked to mine. Any way to get him his own card? Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by tbeard
Greetings, My son just turned 18 and has been platinum on Delta for the past 3 years. We get at least 2 emails/week asking him to get an Am ex card. He is a student so doesn't have much if any income, but he is an elite athlete and travels the world with his sport. Most of the time we buy his tickets and he gets reimbursed. As I max out my am ex I thought it would be good to get him his own as he might as well get the bonus miles. Any way to do this without him having an income? He only uses his visa card he has now for expenses and this card is linked to mine. Any way to get him his own card? Thanks
Credit card companies love college students. Bet it takes 30 seconds to get him approved.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Try to apply. Worst case they say no. What's the harm?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Amex hands cards out like candy. You shouldn't have any trouble.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
Amex hands cards out like candy. You shouldn't have any trouble.

But will they give a credit limit that is feasible for traveling?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by TomMM
But will they give a credit limit that is feasible for traveling?
Who cares, OP only wants it for bonus miles.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
So, I looked at the app. Just put zero down for income? OK if he gets a small credit limit at first. Just trying to build a credit history for him and can get the limit raised as he/we pay it off each month.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Does he truly have -0- in income? I got the DL Gold as one of my first credit cards at 18, but I had been working and could put something there. IIRC, my LOC was either $2,500 or $5,000.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
Credit card companies love college students. Bet it takes 30 seconds to get him approved.
With no established credit history, perhaps, with a $1000 limit.

Since the financial crisis went down it's more difficult for college aged kids to get easy access to credit now.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does he have any scholarships? That should count as income. Obviously student part time jobs count too.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does he have any scholarships? That should count as income. Obviously student part time jobs count too.
So do allowances. Between these three, most students are able to list at least a few thousand in income.

Whatever credit limit you do get, you can always try for the 3x CLI on day 61+.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 16, 2016 at 5:38 am
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Not sure if this is feasible for you, but if he gets a credit limit that is too low, you could always make a payment online two to three days in advance against his card, thus giving a credit balance and then buy the airline ticket. The fact that you can do everything online these days makes this much easier to manage than in the days of old.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:38 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Ledfish
if he gets a credit limit that is too low, you could always make a payment online two to three days in advance against his card, thus giving a credit balance
Can you do that? Seems to me that I have accidentally tried to make payments in excess of my outstanding balance on some accounts in the past, and the system wouldn't let me.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Not that I would recommend everyone doing this, but I was always able to spend over the limit of my card. On the home screen for Amex, use "check spending power". I'd input the amount of the charge I was making and receive pre-approval. This helped as my card only started with a $3k limit. I was making large purchases and paying in full, so I used this to increase the amount I could spend each month without having to make multiple payments.

The limit has since been raised so this isn't needed anymore. But it definitely worked for me. It could help if a small limit is received.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by davetravels
Can you do that? Seems to me that I have accidentally tried to make payments in excess of my outstanding balance on some accounts in the past, and the system wouldn't let me.
The AMEX website sometimes usually won't let me pre-pay (and also restricts payments from a newly added account for a month or so), but you can push payments directly from your bank account (takes a few days to appaer).

I've used that to essentially double my line when I had a low limit.

(I quite quickly got the 3x CLI at 60 days, still waiting for my 180+60days to come up for another 3x CLI attempt.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.