Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Silver Medallion...what does it get you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Silver Medallion...what does it get you?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2004, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
It depends on the time you leave and the fare class you're on-since you're flying on a holiday weekend, your chances of upgrading will be significantly reduced unless you leave a day before the vacationing crowds. If you're on a KQH fare, then your odds are much better. If it's LUT, then you may be on the outside looking in and waiting at the gate for the upgrade for a GM/PM to be a noshow. There's only 3 flights from CVG to CLE that are not on a RJ-nevertheless, your odds are probably pretty good. That is, if your connection is on one of the three 737s.

Originally Posted by TimMeineke
I'm a former Gold that was bumped down to Silver after not flying DL much after they changed earniings on LUT (i.e. in my case, corporate) fares to 50%. During my 3 years as Gold, I carefully hoarded segment upgrades, which DL then ditched (losing me 521). I used miles to get my wife a ticket in first for LAX-CVG-CLE over Labor Day; I bought my ticket. What are my odds of being upgraded?
Old Aug 26, 2004, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I'm a former Gold that was bumped down to Silver after not flying DL much after they changed earniings on LUT (i.e. in my case, corporate) fares to 50%. During my 3 years as Gold, I carefully hoarded segment upgrades, which DL then ditched (losing me 521). I used miles to get my wife a ticket in first for LAX-CVG-CLE over Labor Day; I bought my ticket. What are my odds of being upgraded?
Wouldn't care much about the 30 minute flight from CVG to CLE but the LAX-CVG flights are all on aircraft with relatively large FC cabins, 767-300s or 757s. So my bet is that they are selling upgrades and you will be OK.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
You sound kinda bitter as an FO. No offense.... The only thing I didn't like about being an FO was that I wasn't a GM or PM.
Better than nothing, but I am sure it is like that on every airline.

Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
DO they still say that? "Next Stop Concourse C?" I know they used to but not sure if they do it anymore.
I'll let you know after this weekend.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Flying_Duck
The vast majority of PM's were SM's at some point
Not really bragging here......but I went from "Royal Medallion" in the old program straight to Platinum Medallion where I've stayed on a continuous and now supposedly permanent basis.
So while I can somewhat understand the pain that FO's and GM's experience, I don't have any direct experience.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I carefully hoarded segment upgrades, which DL then ditched (losing me 521).
How does a GM end up with 521 segment upgrades? If you fly that many miles to get them, then you wouldn't be a GM anymore.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 9:44 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
I'm 300 miles away from SM status all because of the US Air Force. Thanks to the 2002 Defense Authorization Act I can claim the skymiles for myself.

Thanks Boss, er, President Bush!

http://www.dcmilitary.com/army/stand...s/13924-1.html
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by Cholula
Not really bragging here......but I went from "Royal Medallion" in the old program straight to Platinum Medallion where I've stayed on a continuous and now supposedly permanent basis.
So while I can somewhat understand the pain that FO's and GM's experience, I don't have any direct experience.
No quite the same experience, but I went from "Royal Medallion" to GM and then a few years later to PM. Did I feel jealous of the PM? Of course I did as a GM But I felt better than being SM
Old Aug 28, 2004, 10:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by hc130radio
I'm 300 miles away from SM status all because of the US Air Force. Thanks to the 2002 Defense Authorization Act I can claim the skymiles for myself.

That's cool! Didn't hear about the change.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by hc130radio

Which is absolutely fine by me. Perhaps they could allow a bit more common sense to enter federal government rules. Now the serious question is..... what are the 5000 federal employees who used to count all airmiles that were federal property doing now ?
Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:30 pm

Programs: Big Wig
I thought I'd bump this thread to see what (if any) changes have come about in the past 2 years for SMs.

Does one still get luggage tags?

Pecking order for upgrades, fare class?

Thanks for the insight. Hopefully this update will keep the DL Sticky up to date. (I found this thread in the Sticky)
Old Sep 7, 2006, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by yodude711
I thought I'd bump this thread to see what (if any) changes have come about in the past 2 years for SMs.

Thanks for the insight. Hopefully this update will keep the DL Sticky up to date. (I found this thread in the Sticky)
No, DL does not have a luggage tags anymore. Because DL has been change with the luggage tags while you are Silver, Gold or Platinum. I think you will packing upgrade any class LTU fare.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:40 am

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry

Both your questions were answered in the thread... Anyways, I just completed a trip to San Diego which put me over 25k for Silver. BOS-ATL was a former Song plane, so no FC, ATL-SAN had a full FC, and if I was silver, it seemed like I would have had zero chance, SAN-ATL FC went out with seats empty, and ATL-BOS, I waitlisted for a mileage upgrade (10k) and I was Number 7 out of 5 available seats (with no status), so I prob would have easily gotten an upgrade if I showed Silver.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:40 am

Programs: DL GM

I haven't noticed any significant changes. My percentage for upgrades is still pretty good.
I think PaulLB said it best (Post #8).
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:47 am

Programs: DL FO,Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Nexus & Global Entry
one quick question... Am I going to get a Silver SM card showing an Expiry of 2/28/07, and then get another card good till 2008? or, am I just not going to see a card until 2007?
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Tennisbum
I haven't noticed any significant changes. My percentage for upgrades is still pretty good.
I think PaulLB said it best (Post #8).
SMS access is HUGE. Premium seating access is HUGE.

Upgrades are like the fries at bottom of the McDonald's bag - unexpected but tasty when you get one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.