Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What REALLY is the benefit of Gold or Platinum Medallion for me?

Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:39 am
Original Poster

I just got Gold, and might get Platinum this year. However, after reading all the benefits and fine prints, I am realizing that besides extra baggage allowance, it doesn't look like I'll be enjoying a lot of perks.

I fly mainly LAX to HKG or PEK, connecting in SEA. Since the complimentary upgrades aren't good for international flights and only DM level gets global upgrade certificates, it seems that my only chance of ever getting an upgrade is if coach is full, and even then, diamonds will get those before I do...

Can anyone tell me what else gold or plat is good for in my case?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:02 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Lounge access on international flights, higher phone priority, SkyPriority check in and security access.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Complimentary access to C+ on domestic and international flights for PM.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Gold:
Lounge access on international routes. Sky priority. Better upgrade probability on your domestic legs. RDM bonus.

Platinum:
Choice benefit selection. Free redeposit of award tickets.

In my opinion gold is a huge step up from silver. I've found a lot of value in sky priority and skyteam elite plus. Lounge access in particular has been my favorite benefit.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:13 am

Free redeposit on award tickets has saved me thousands of dollars in redeposit fees. As a Platinum or Diamond you can book multiple flights/dates/times with ultimate flexibility and simply redeposit them by T-72 and not be out of pocket whatsoever.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:14 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you travel mostly international, or are based outside the USA, there isn't much to get excited about when 'upgrading' to PM.

I get the most value out of the free redeposit on award tickets. The complimentary C+ and choice benefits are nice. But I've already decided to not bother stretching to PM next year, I'll drop down to Gold.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
...I get the most value out of the free redeposit on award tickets. The complimentary C+ and choice benefits are nice. But I've already decided to not bother stretching to PM next year, I'll drop down to Gold.
Wife is dropping from Plat to Gold next year because she's not earning the MQM's despite the cc waiver and 10k miles bonus from $25,000 annual spend on a Delta Platinum Amex credit card. Because she travels with me (a Diamond), her status doesn't get her any additional domestic upgrade benefits. She's thinking of dropping the Amex card to save the $195 annual fee. She feels her Chase Sapphire Reserve card is enough. With no Amex waiver, she'll drop again the following year to Silver status on Delta based on MQD's. Outside loss of access to the few and far between Skyteam lounges on international coach travel at Silver level, neither of us see much downside to such a move.

Last edited by Bowgie; Sep 22, 2017 at 8:23 am
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Free redeposit on award tickets has saved me thousands of dollars in redeposit fees. As a Platinum or Diamond you can book multiple flights/dates/times with ultimate flexibility and simply redeposit them by T-72 and not be out of pocket whatsoever.
I have not once needed to use this benefit, and I've been a Diamond since the inception of the program on Delta. I encourage FT'ers to be considerate of their fellow flyers because I don't see evidence that redeposited award flights go back into award inventory for use by others.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I have not once needed to use this benefit, and I've been a Diamond since the inception of the program on Delta.
I do this a few times a year.

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I encourage FT'ers to be considerate of their fellow flyers because I don't see evidence that redeposited award flights go back into award inventory for use by others.
Supply and demand. It's the same if someone cancels a SLUT fare at the last minute. That doesn't mean that new SLUT inventory is opened up. If it no longer fits the fare rules or the fare bucket is full, then it's kicked to whatever fare is available at that time.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by kerosundae2

Can anyone tell me what else gold or plat is good for in my case?
+1

With domestic upgrades disappearing, this, plus the PM choice benefits, are probably the most tangible differences between GM and PM.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
I'm flying mostly paid J class so most of the travelling benefits of elite status are included. Considering switching my miles to KE so I can earn lifetime ST E+ at just 500k miles!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:04 am

That's the one benefit I miss from my road warrior days!
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:34 pm

With a family of 5 who all travel on miles frequently but who need flexibility every redeposit would otherwise cost me $750.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
This will be the huge benefit I will lose the day I lose DM status.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by HDQDD

Supply and demand. It's the same if someone cancels a SLUT fare at the last minute. That doesn't mean that new SLUT inventory is opened up. If it no longer fits the fare rules or the fare bucket is full, then it's kicked to whatever fare is available at that time.
But, I would hazard a guess that the original redemption, now cancelled, still goes into the DL brag-stistics where they claim how easy it is to redeem miles and how many miles are redeemed each year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.