Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Captain announces "we're going to fly this plane like we stole it"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Captain announces "we're going to fly this plane like we stole it"

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It must have been a 752 or 73G. Those are the only aircraft in the fleet capable of “flying like you stole it”. And I’m sure there is more than one Delta pilot that has used that line. It certainly isn’t new.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight
I've had this exact phrase said on a DL flight before, may of been the same Captain. Thought it was funny, we ended up arriving on 10 minutes late after a 45 minute delay.
Yep. I've hear a variation of that:

"We're gonna fly it like we stole it, and land it like we own it."

O/H
RobOnLI and GA400 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I had a capt announce before landing during snow storm

"Well folks it's our turn to land, and just to ease your nerves. The JetBlue flight ahead of us landed safely, so obviously, we can do better."
fti, WhiskeyBravo and eminere like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I had a capt announce before landing during snow storm.
"Well folks it's our turn to land, and just to ease your nerves. The JetBlue flight ahead of us landed safely, so obviously, we can do better."
LOL. Very good. ^
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL GM
Must have been the pilot flying FLL-ATL when I was trying to get out for the hurricane. Three hour delay on the tarmac, he came whipping around from the taxiway and just punched it and we did FLL-ATL in maybe 1:15 tops. Felt like a combat conditions landing at ATL, he dropped that thing on the deck like he was trying to trap a Hornet.

Maybe the wind patterns from the looming storm nudged us along but it was a welcome result after three hours on the tarmac.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:55 am

It's better than the CR2 pilot that flies a lot of DTW-TYS-DTW and keeps making the same "we're going to Hawaii" joke.
davetravels likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:04 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by LANgradStudent
It's better than the CR2 pilot that flies a lot of DTW-TYS-DTW and keeps making the same "we're going to Hawaii" joke.
I wonder if they get tired of me getting on a <insert domestic narrowbody> aircraft and saying . . . .

This IS the flight to Paris, isn't it?!?
Miesque likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Wrong post.

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 24, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Life Plat, HHonors DM
Hubs is a 787 captain in training and was asked by his instructor to do a full on, full throttle take off, which I guess isn't done often. He said that even the guys on the flight deck did a "whoo hoo" when they were in the air and he wondered what the passengers thought. He figured the frequent flyers knew there was a difference. And, yes, that quote is in the Pilot Announcements 101 book. He has used it for 30 years.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Best announcement I've had was in the safety briefing flying from Aberdeen, SD to MSP in January: "In case of a water landing...which there won't be, because all the water between here and there is frozen...."
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
My favorite is when they BS the passengers with their seatbelt detector indicating X number of seatbelts still not fastened. Usually you will hear a few clicks after that.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: Nada!
Originally Posted by scracer14
As much as I like when crews add humor into their routine, the whole "we will fly extra fast to make up time" line is getting old.

There's very little the pilot can do to fly faster, or make up time. Most of the time recovered is simply schedule buffer so that one delayed flight doesn't cause dozens throughout the day, and affect monthly reporting statistics.

Not trying to be a downer on a fun thread, just venting after recent delays and hearing the same talking point every time...
It may depend on the route. One of the best flights I ever had was on a Singapore Airline flight when a fuel transfer pump went out right about the time we were supposed to depart for LAX. We had to transfer all the luggage and people to another 747 and left SIN 3 hours late. Landed in Tokyo still 3 hours late and before we left, Captain said he had the all clear to make up time in the air. We ended up landing in LAX 15 minutes early. The Captain said he had the plane flying as fast as possible and we had a very strong tailwind and had just set the SIA fleet record for the fastest transpac crossing. So they can cut the pilots loose sometimes.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
My favorite is when they BS the passengers with their seatbelt detector indicating X number of seatbelts still not fastened. Usually you will hear a few clicks after that.
What do you mean - - that's BS?!?!?

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 24, 2017 at 4:24 pm
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once on a TATL flight to FRA, the pilot announced that he in conjunction with mother nature arrange a special light(northern lights) show and instructed everybody to look out the left side of the aircraft.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
Once on a TATL flight to FRA, the pilot announced that he in conjunction with mother nature arrange a special light(northern lights) show and instructed everybody to look out the left side of the aircraft.
I've alwayz loved this little 29 second clip. Ya gotta LUV Captain Lord!

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 24, 2017 at 4:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.