Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lightning strike inspection time? Realistically?

Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond

We are stuck in SEA (heading to YVR) right now our outbound was delayed after boarding us saying they needed to do a post lightning strike inspection. Not sure why they boarded us only to kick us right back off.
Is this for some kind of stats?

Capitan said "1 hour to be done at the gate" we all go off and they have updated the delay 3-4x in the last 20mins and we are now looking at a 4 hour delay leaving at 11:15a

I just saw them pushing the plane back from the gate assuming to go to the maintenance hangar.

We can rebook for a 1:30p flight wondering if that might be the better call in case the original keeps getting delayed even more.
Thoughts?

Last edited by cboy; Sep 21, 2017 at 10:13 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:05 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I misread your post. When you asked about rebooking for a 1:30 flight, I thought you meant that it's an hour and a half flight.

It might be easier if you just tell us where the flight is going so people here can make some educated suggestions.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

1:37p
5:38p

Heading to YVR

*edited op to clarify
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Are you originating at SEA, or connecting? Driving might be an option if it gets any worse, depending, of course, on where you're ending up and other considerations.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Final destination is YVR.

I looked into driving. It's like 3 and a half hours to our hotel per google maps haha.

As an islander who rarely drives more than 20-30mins at a time that's a long drive hehe. Although if this keeps up I might be better off driving
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:47 am

As to your question about how long a post lightning strike inspection takes..... I certainly don't claim to be an aircraft mechanic, but, I'm reminded of a story when I was in London once.....

I was at Victoria Station, in the London Transport / Tube office. The tube had just closed down due to a bomb threat. An American woman asked the clerks how long it usually takes for the police to reopen the tube in these situations. The clerk told her.... "As long as it takes!"

She got VERY upset, and LOUDLY said..... BUT, DON'T YOU HAVE AN IDEA HOW LONG IT USUALLY TAKES?!?!?

THE clerk simply repeated... The police will open it when they're sure it's safe! As long as it takes! She huffed and puffed and flew out of the office!

That said, if they told you they're gonna inspect it at the gate, then towed the plane away, that should be a clue to your answer.

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 21, 2017 at 11:10 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Nothing to add other than that is some bad luck to be delayed by a lighting strike in SEA.

Best of luck on getting to YVR
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by cboy
Final destination is YVR.

I looked into driving. It's like 3 and a half hours to our hotel per google maps haha.

As an islander who rarely drives more than 20-30mins at a time that's a long drive hehe. Although if this keeps up I might be better off driving
Just be forewarned, it's anywhere from 2.5-5 hours depending on traffic and border lines. I'd recommend against it and getting on the 130 flight. Enjoy the SkyClub or something to kill the time until then.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Happened to me only once in AMS. Inbound A330 was struck on landing, was inspected at the gate, took about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. It was DL, not KLM, but I don't recall the origin (not US).
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. We are in the sky lounge and my wife is taking a nap so I figured I'd jump on flyertalk

I just checked with the agent here and she said they did an equipment swap so hopefully our 11:15 estimate of leaving will stick.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by davetravels
... if they told you they're gonna inspect it at the gate, then towed the plane away, that should be a clue to your answer.
FlightRadar24 shows they're indeed substituting a different jet (it landed maybe 20 min ago, so the 1115 departure is probably good)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
FlightRadar24 shows they're indeed substituting a different jet (it landed maybe 20 min ago, so the 1115 departure is probably good)

Thanks for the link. I was trying to figure out how to see that. Bookmarked for future use too
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
^ I knew, for "Anything SEA", jrl767 would save the day!

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 21, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by cboy
We are stuck in SEA (heading to YVR) right now our outbound was delayed after boarding us saying they needed to do a post lightning strike inspection. Not sure why they boarded us only to kick us right back off.
Is this for some kind of stats?
My guess is it was discovered during the walkaround. Pilots are pretty good about reporting known lightening strikes when they land (usually they make a loud noise). In this case, either the inbound pilot didn't realize they'd been struck, or during the walkaround one of the pilots noticed the "exit wound".

Lightning hitting a plane is mostly harmless. However, any time a crew reports a strike, MX has to inspect for both the entry and exit points and verify the skin/paint/surface is ok. This often requires a lift of some sort to inspect the top of the fuselage and tail. Obviously, the larger the aircraft, the longer this process takes. Usually on a narrow body you're looking at a 1-2hr delay if the damage was "within limits".

Lightning can damage the skin of the aircraft, sometimes badly enough it has to be taken out of service for repair.
cboy likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
An inspection shouldn't take long--less than an hour. If any damage is found it could be anything from just recording the damage in the maintenance record to being grounded for days for repairs.
cboy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.