Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta 6 Month Passport Validity Clarification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Hi All,

My apologies if this is in the wrong subforum. It looks like its not all Miles questions here so I thought since this relates to Delta it would be the best.

I have a flight to Cuba that returns to the USA on OCT 29th 2017. My Passport expires April 29th 2018.

This is EXACTLY 6 months (or 182 day)

It appears that CUBA has no 6 month validity requirement. However, Delta does according to their website.

"Passports must be valid for at least six months beyond the return date of a passenger’s trip to Cuba."

I've called CS (Very pleasant people) and have been told "Don't worry you are good thats 6 months"

However, via their Delta twitter team I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to board as this was an airline policy and it doesn't matter what Cubas policy is (This was after I was referred to the state department website and replied that Cuba doesn't have this policy).

Any thoughts on this? If I need to renew my passport I need to expedite it basically ASAP as the wait is 2-3 weeks. But I'm nervous about a 2-3 week turn around when I only have about 4 1/2 weeks till the trip.

Any gate agents for delta around here?

Thanks all!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
The 6 month "requirement" is just a blanket policy statement because some of the world has a 6 month passport validity requirement.

Most of the world is 3 months. DL should not deny you boarding unless your passport does not meet the requirements of cuba, which, as it appears, you've done your homework and confirmed.

Last edited by Starblazer; Sep 21, 2017 at 11:14 am
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starblazer
The 6 month "requirement" is just a blanket policy statement because some of the world has a 6 month passport validity requirement.

Most of the world is 3 months. DL should not deny you boarding unless you passport does not meet the requirements of cuba, which, as it appears, you've done your homework and confirmed.
Thank you sir or mam!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Do not forget though that if you are US then there are additional documents you need. A visa and the OFAC stuff.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Do not forget though that if you are US then there are additional documents you need. A visa and the OFAC stuff.
Definitely have those lined up! I appreciate it. I just worry about Delta being like "Well this is EXACTLY 6 months so it really needs to expire on the 30th." Call me paranoid but getting denied boarding would be a bummer
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Delta can be fined for bringing you to a country with improper/expired/expiring documentation. They are also on the hook for bringing you back to your origin ASAP, which may include bumping a paid pax, depending on the country.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: DL DM
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. You could have a clash with the GA when it comes time to board and you really won't have time to argue your point. There are visa services that can get you a passport in a day. You don't say where you are, but some larger cities (like Minneapolis) have a real passport office that can do a passport in a day also. It's going to cost you some extra money, but you need a new passport anyway, eventually. Put the extra money down as a learning experience to renew your passport earlier.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Kryptonium & Diamond & 2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
I always use the skyteam passport tool to let me know if Delta is going to be okay with my expiration dates - I believe it drives off the same system that they use.

Here is the link:

https://skyteam.traveldoc.aero/
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Starblazer
Delta can be fined for bringing you to a country with improper/expired/expiring documentation. They are also on the hook for bringing you back to your origin ASAP, which may include bumping a paid pax, depending on the country.
Not if the passenger meets the country's entry requirements.

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Personally, I wouldn't risk it. You could have a clash with the GA when it comes time to board and you really won't have time to argue your point. There are visa services that can get you a passport in a day. You don't say where you are, but some larger cities (like Minneapolis) have a real passport office that can do a passport in a day also. It's going to cost you some extra money, but you need a new passport anyway, eventually. Put the extra money down as a learning experience to renew your passport earlier.
This is what I would suggest rather than the OP worrying about the situation. It's really quick and easy to renew a passport this way and avoids the situation of being without a passport for some time.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM
I did this at the at the Minneapolis office three weeks ago and the turnaround was actually 2 days (not to nit pick). The extra fee was $200 IIRC.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wow, I didn't pay nearly that much for the fastest service when I did it there. For me, I picked up the new passport the next day as I didn't need it the same day and next day was more convenient for me, but same day would have been the same price. However, you do need to document that you need the new passport fast.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by runninaway
I did this at the at the Minneapolis office three weeks ago and the turnaround was actually 2 days (not to nit pick). The extra fee was $200 IIRC.
They can actually turn it the same day, in some cases. I was told that you only paid the normal expedite fee that you would pay if you mailed it in (like $60.00). Maybe I was told incorrectly.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Wow thanks for all the advice. I'm not in a big city. I believe ATL is the closest and that's a good 6 hour drive.

It says 2-3 weeks for expedited passport services. The money isn't an issue its more of a time thing.

I'd hate to send it off and it not be here in 4 1/2 weeks and then miss the trip that way

Thanks for the link to the travel docs checker. Pretty interesting!

And I played with Singapore (which does the 6 months rule) and it gave me this when I put in an earlier date.

Passport expiry date must be 29 April 2018 or later (6 months after departure from Singapore).

I think I'll overnight it to philly tomorrow and cross my fingers. I have all the paper work ready.

Thanks again everyone!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by mraero
Wow thanks for all the advice. I'm not in a big city. I believe ATL is the closest and that's a good 6 hour drive.

It says 2-3 weeks for expedited passport services. The money isn't an issue its more of a time thing.

I'd hate to send it off and it not be here in 4 1/2 weeks and then miss the trip that way

Thanks for the link to the travel docs checker. Pretty interesting!

And I played with Singapore (which does the 6 months rule) and it gave me this when I put in an earlier date.

Passport expiry date must be 29 April 2018 or later (6 months after departure from Singapore).

I think I'll overnight it to philly tomorrow and cross my fingers. I have all the paper work ready.

Thanks again everyone!
Same day or two-day service is when you actually visit the passport office in person. You should believe the 2-3 weeks quoted for service by mail.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
They can actually turn it the same day, in some cases. I was told that you only paid the normal expedite fee that you would pay if you mailed it in (like $60.00). Maybe I was told incorrectly.
it often as to do with what time you show up and how busy they are. i had to renew a passport back in 2007 amid the height of the state department passport crisis. despite mailing it in 10-12 weeks ahead and paying an expedited fee, i ended up flying from Orlando to DC to renew the passport the day before my trip as it never made it back to me in time. i chose DC as the office in Miami was having a lot of issues processing same day at that time, and it was cheaper to fly to DC than ATL.

i left MCO at 5:30am, got to the passport office in DC at 8:30am and was among the first in line. my stuff was handed over by 10 and i left with my renewed passport at 3, went back to the airport, and flew back to Orlando so as to be able to catch my INTL flight the next day. huge pain, and it cost a lot of money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.