Wiki Posts
Search

Taking off without bin closure

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Taking off without bin closure

I flewMCO-ATL-CDG-BLR last week. The AF segments and CDG gate for BLR were chaotic. No time consciousness, delayed boarding without any explanation, random selection of passengers for boarding, indifferent (or incompetent) flight attendants, broken seats, dysfunctional or mismatched video screen and the hand held control unit, and above all taxiing almost to the take off point, with about dozen bins open, made the trip noteworthy. To make matters even better, I received a questionaire in French regarding the flight!
Return flight was equally "impressive". Delays without any explanation, twenty minute bus drive from the plane to the terminal, and almost missed connections at CDG were well appreciated by the passengers. The plane (CDG-BLR-CDG) was an old Airbus 330 with video screen as small as an iPhone 6 plus and there was no electrical outlet or USB charger.
By the way, some of the Indian airports do not make any flight announcements as they have declared the airports as noise free (!!!) zones. Three flights were taking off from the same gate within a few minutes of each other in Chennai and there were no departure announcements!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
AF did this last time I flew them also. Except it wasn't just until "almost to the takeoff point" - the FAs were seated for takeoff, and I got out of my seat literally as we started our takeoff roll and closed the bins above my seat myself.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
heck overhead bins used to be open and you could hang a baby from them.

Last edited by apodo77; Sep 20, 2017 at 3:51 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
The AF A330s are very tired aircraft and are nothing close to the 772s that fly to India other times of year.

AF flights to India tend to be delayed whenever some North American arrivals are late. This is more of a correlation rather than definite causation because I've never been given a reason either.

Kinda OT, but I miss when DL used to fly to BOM from JFK.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
I flew AF a few weeks ago CDG-JFK, and had a similar experience. I was in the middle section of the 772, with nobody between me and the pax next to me, and the pax next to me left the tray table in the empty seat down for landing - the F/As never said anything before landing.

Then, we pulled up close to the gate at JFK, stopped, the seatbelt sign wasn't turned off, but all of the pax got up out of their seats and were waiting in the aisles. The F/As never said anything, and then suddenly we all noticed the plane was moving as we were being towed into the gate (with everyone still standing up in the cabin). I was shocked that the F/As didn't make everyone sit down or that the pilot didn't explain that we weren't yet at the jetway (which I know I've heard them do on DL multiple times, particularly at LAX where the gates are so tightly packed together).

For an airline from a developed country with a modern aviation system, I was pretty surprised at the lax approach to safety.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: none
If you were on a flight that almost took off with the OH door open, by all means you should almost get compensation.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL GM
Reminds me of a flight on China Eastern where passengers and FA alike were standing around and going to the lav, going through the bins, etc as the aircraft was first in line for departure. I'm pretty sure we started the takeoff roll with someone still in the lav.

Did have a domestic DL flight a week or so ago where one of the FAs had to go tell a passenger who was still standing around to sit and the aircraft started rolling down the runway as she was walking back. Made it to her seat without incident though.

That picture of the baby hanging from the overhead bin is incredible though. Can you imagine an airline trying that today? The social media backlash alone would crash the internet.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gynob001
I flewMCO-ATL-CDG-BLR last week. The AF segments and CDG gate for BLR were chaotic. No time consciousness, delayed boarding without any explanation, random selection of passengers for boarding, indifferent (or incompetent) flight attendants, broken seats, dysfunctional or mismatched video screen and the hand held control unit, and above all taxiing almost to the take off point, with about dozen bins open, made the trip noteworthy. To make matters even better, I received a questionaire in French regarding the flight!
Return flight was equally "impressive". Delays without any explanation, twenty minute bus drive from the plane to the terminal, and almost missed connections at CDG were well appreciated by the passengers. The plane (CDG-BLR-CDG) was an old Airbus 330 with video screen as small as an iPhone 6 plus and there was no electrical outlet or USB charger.
By the way, some of the Indian airports do not make any flight announcements as they have declared the airports as noise free (!!!) zones. Three flights were taking off from the same gate within a few minutes of each other in Chennai and there were no departure announcements!
This sounds like your typical Delta flight...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
This sounds like your typical Delta flight...
That was an Air France flight.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:09 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jamiestr
That was an Air France flight.
Waiting for someone to post . . . . .

"So, why is this in the Delta forum?!? "

Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by apodo77
heck overhead bins used to be open and you could hang a baby from them.

pretty sure I've recounted this elsewhere, but it's always a good story ...

a longtime friend and her husband traveled extensively through Asia during her NW days as a res agent in SEA and assistant station manager in DAY (mid to late 1980s) ... she tells of several instances when non-native-English-speaking pax -- who had clearly interpreted "Place all carry-on items in the overhead bins" literally -- had put a bassinet with a baby in it into the bin and closed the door
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Code share

Originally Posted by davetravels
Waiting for someone to post . . . . .

"So, why is this in the Delta forum?!? "

It was a code share booked by Delta. My tickets had Delta flight numbers.
In the same flight to BLR, there were children ( 1-5 years old, more than one) standing on the seat with no seat belts .
There was an elderly lady standing up most of the time holding a baby!
In my section, I hardly ever saw a FA.
I don’t know how other airlines fare in their flights to India. In my opinion, it was a clash of the cultures and both French and Indian culture contributed to the slack and indifference.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by jrl767

a longtime friend and her husband traveled extensively through Asia during her NW days as a res agent in SEA and assistant station manager in DAY (mid to late 1980s) ... she tells of several instances when non-native-English-speaking pax -- who had clearly interpreted "Place all carry-on items in the overhead bins" literally -- had put a bassinet with a baby in it into the bin and closed the door
That's hilarious. Found this on the Iterwebz:

Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Reminds me of a flight on China Eastern where passengers and FA alike were standing around and going to the lav, going through the bins, etc as the aircraft was first in line for departure. I'm pretty sure we started the takeoff roll with someone still in the lav.

Did have a domestic DL flight a week or so ago where one of the FAs had to go tell a passenger who was still standing around to sit and the aircraft started rolling down the runway as she was walking back. Made it to her seat without incident though.

That picture of the baby hanging from the overhead bin is incredible though. Can you imagine an airline trying that today? The social media backlash alone would crash the internet.
A few weeks ago on an ATL-PBI flight a lady got up on final descent and went to the F lav (I was in F and pretty sure she was as well). She was still in there when we landed despite the FA trying to get her out. Heard the FA talking to the captain as well but there was no go around.

My neighbor thought she should have been arrested when we got to the gate. No one from DL ever even scolded her as she exited the aircraft.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:44 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767

I may have told this story before . . . . .

I was going thru Pre-Chek, and, this is what I heard behind me, and one lane over coming from the "regular" security line . . . . .

"Ma'am, you'll hafto put the child seat thru the x-ray" . . . . .

Pause . . . . .

"Ma'am, please take the baby out first".

Originally Posted by Gynob001
It was a code share booked by Delta. My tickets had Delta flight numbers.
I don't care personally, who posts what where. I was just joking, really, because there are a few unofficial forum librarians who take it upon themselves to question why people post thingz here that might seemingly belong elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.