Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A new safety video with new admonitions

Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

I don't think this is old, and I don't think I've seen it commented on, but forgive me if it's duplication:

I caught Delta's newest safety video, with an intro from Ed talking about global partners, an intro by a flight attendant on behalf of Delta and the global partners, and a concluding message thanking people for flying Delta and its global partners. A couple things:

1) Really pushing those global partners these days. I can't imagine that sits well with the pilots, but it makes sense to me that Delta is going to start trying to push its equity alliance into a virtual airline.

2) I noticed that the safety briefing itself includes two new lines that seem long overdue.
I: If your phone gets lost in your seat, don't adjust it and notify a flight attendant.
II: In the event of an evacuation, leave all your belongings with you.

So, here's my question: Were these (overdue) additions driven by Delta, or has the FAA/DOT mandated airlines add new warnings to the videos?

I don't see this version of the video online, or I'd post a link.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
The AF video talks about losing phones....I thought it was strange to include that
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
The AF video talks about losing phones....I thought it was strange to include that
Not strange at all, and as the OP mentions, a welcome addition. There have been several documented lithium battery fires caused by phones being lost in seats, then the seat is adjusted, causing the phone to be crushed. As the phone is crushed by the mechanism, the lithium battery is compromised and may ignite.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
1) Really pushing those global partners these days. I can't imagine that sits well with the pilots, but it makes sense to me that Delta is going to start trying to push its equity alliance into a virtual airline.
It's been a few weeks since I've been on DL, but I recall finding it interesting which partners they did (not) include in that video.

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Not strange at all, and as the OP mentions, a welcome addition. There have been several documented lithium battery fires caused by phones being lost in seats, then the seat is adjusted, causing the phone to be crushed. As the phone is crushed by the mechanism, the lithium battery is compromised and may ignite.
I figured there was a reason for that message (as odd as I found it) but had no idea what it was. Very interesting.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:23 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I saw the video for the first time on September 1st, but I flew on August 29th and did not see it. So I wonder if that's when they started to show it.

I like the video it's cute.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Most airlines, especially those with electric seats have had the cell phone announcement for awhile. Don't want the batteries to get crushed and start on fire.

Not sure what the issue is with pilots. I believe they (union) must approve anything of a JV nature. I know they had to approve the VS JV. They required that X hours a year of LHR flying be done by DL pilots.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
It's been a few weeks since I've been on DL, but I recall finding it interesting which partners they did (not) include in that video.

I figured there was a reason for that message (as odd as I found it) but had no idea what it was. Very interesting.
Yep, most cellphone fires on planes, which are common, happen when the batteries are damaged. Spontaneous fires are exceedingly rare, but a phone being crushed often causes fires. So it's very, very important.

And with the evacuations, people bringing roll-aboards with them is a scourge that's going to get someone killed some day.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most airlines, especially those with electric seats have had the cell phone announcement for awhile. Don't want the batteries to get crushed and start on fire.

Not sure what the issue is with pilots. I believe they (union) must approve anything of a JV nature. I know they had to approve the VS JV. They required that X hours a year of LHR flying be done by DL pilots.
They may, but there's a lot of grumbling among them that all of their widebody (and highest-paying) flying is being given away to foreign partners.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've recently notices that the oral safety briefing on some but not all domestic flights now includes language about not leaving stuff or feet in aisles to prevent FAs from tripping. I wonder whether some FA was recently injured badly by tripping over someone's foot or maybe a slippery magazine or kid's toy. Does anyone know?

In the past, some FAs included announcements about aisle pasasengers keeping their feet and elbows tucked in when carts moved in the aisles.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I saw the video for the first time on September 1st, but I flew on August 29th and did not see it. So I wonder if that's when they started to show it.

I flew on 8/31 and saw it but I've always assumed these videos take a few days to reach the whole fleet as I (assume) they load them in stages as planes hit hubs, or something similar.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I don't know about D1 seats specifically, but on other carriers (UA comes to mind) there are plenty of reports of personal devices falling down into the business class seat innards and getting lost for good. Irrecoverable short of dismantling the whole seat on the spot. Seems like serious design flaw.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by jrkmsp

Why would it not sit well with pilots? More potential customers (coming from more connections/carriers) leads to more flights...which leads to more jobs. (Pax) Airplanes don't fly themselves (yet).
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Why would it not sit well with pilots? More potential customers (coming from more connections/carriers) leads to more flights...which leads to more jobs. (Pax) Airplanes don't fly themselves (yet).
Airplanes fly themselves, the pilot is just along for the ride...and to take over if the plane stalls and to tell corny jokes. (not 100% true) but some would make it seem like the pilots don't do anything on the plane.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:49 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Very happy to finally have something in the safety video about leaving belongings in an emergency evacuations.

I have long thought that those who violate that order should be prosecuted and jailed for endangering the lives of everybody else on the plane.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I saw the video for the first time on September 1st ...

cute? that has to be about the last adjective I'd ever think to apply to a safety video

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.