Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta gave my first class seat to an employee!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta gave my first class seat to an employee!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by FF524
what do you say to someone who's logic justifies holding back product who's purpose is to fulfill a part of the total experience being sold to customers. "Sorry Ms Passenger. I can't offer you a Diet Coke as we are down to the last can and well you see, I really like Diet Coke and would like to drink the last can as soon as I get a break".

So while this flights sole purpose is to transport you and provide certain comforts along the way, and the crew is being paid to operate the flight - someone thinks it's ok for the flight crew's food preference to trump paying customers. Look, help yourself to your hearts content with leftovers - but sorry, the flight crew gets absolutely last dibs on the food and beverage items that are in limited supply.
If we're talking about flight crew that are working, I want them to be happy, and functioning at a high level. If that means I'm not entitled to the last can of Diet Coke, so be it.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
A nice story but I was under the impression that onboard crews had no authority to upgrade passengers. I've heard crews tell passengers they would have to let the gate agent handle seat issues.
In the end though isnt the captain the ultimate authority on board the plane?

Based on the story I believe the door had already closed or was about to close and this was handled technically post when the GA is working the flight.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:16 am
Suspended

Reminds me of a story when i was a lowly FO. I received my upgrade clearance at the 24 hour mark which means there truly had to be NO medallions on this flight. FC showed 1 empty seat all the way up to the entire plane being boarded.

The GA & FA were working hard to upgrade ANYBODY it seemed. I give this story because it was impressive that the GA wanted to make sure everybody who was entitled to one got the upgrade. YBYL was not in her vocabulary. They ended up going through the FC manifest and found two matching names. They asked the women if X was her husband (she got the upgrade he didnt) she said yes and they brought him upfront to take the bulkhead FC seat. (there were NO other medallions on board)

I like to think MOST GA's try to do whats right by the customer.
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kipper
If we're talking about flight crew that are working, I want them to be happy, and functioning at a high level. If that means I'm not entitled to the last can of Diet Coke, so be it.
I dont, I want them to be miserable and very very tired when they are piloting my flight because damnit I want my Diet Coke. HAHAHAHAHAHA
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
A nice story but I was under the impression that onboard crews had no authority to upgrade passengers. I've heard crews tell passengers they would have to let the gate agent handle seat issues.
Once the door closes, it's at the discretion of the Purser, and the Purser usually responds better to selfless acts like audidudi's than someone pestering them with lines from the "10 tactics to GUARANTEE an upgrade on your next flight" listicle they saw on facebook, or the "Excuse me, I'm an FO, why didn't you move me up to D1?" complaints.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TTT
The recent updates to the app do a decent job if showing when upgrades happen, as long as they are processed in the system.
True, but I've been on some flights recently that have blocked access to the upgrade and standby lists on the app (including the lists and seat assignments of those who have cleared) at some point during boarding and well before the door of the aircraft is closed. The seat maps also become blocked and unavailable, so that you cannot see easily whether the flight is officially leaving with empty FC and C+ seats.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by captaink
than someone pestering them with lines from the "10 tactics to GUARANTEE an upgrade on your next flight" listicle they saw on facebook, or the "Excuse me, I'm an FO, why didn't you move me up to D1?" complaints.
You mean like any of these quite stupid "articles"???

https://www.smartertravel.com/2017/0...rline-upgrade/

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/pers...pgraded-6.aspx

http://thegate.boardingarea.com/the-...d-when-flying/

https://www.inc.com/stephanie-vozza/...xt-flight.html

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/0...light-upgrade/

https://www.tripsavvy.com/getting-up...a-flight-54411

This one is my particular favorite, by that argument if I dont "dress the part" when I am in paid FC should I be sent to the back???

Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
It does sound like the OP got hosed if everything DL told them is true. It sounds like you already started a complaint and that's about all you can do.

I will point out that not every employee is flying NRSA. Many are NRPS (Positive Space) and some others are even *gasp* "paying passengers". I see many NetJets and other pilots in F too. Some on paid F fares per their contract, and many are also medallions because they travel so much.

When I worked in management for a certain other airline and was traveling for COBUS (Company Business), I could book myself NRPS in business class on three cabin aircraft and I was eligible for upgrade to First (if it was two class I had to book in Y, and waitlist for F). I was smart enough to put my badge in my pocket to avoid disrupting any DYKWIAs. Ah the good old days, I miss the "self ticket" authorization.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by HDQDD
It does sound like the OP got hosed if everything DL told them is true. It sounds like you already started a complaint and that's about all you can do.

I will point out that not every employee is flying NRSA. Many are NRPS (Positive Space) and some others are even *gasp* "paying passengers". I see many NetJets and other pilots in F too. Some on paid F fares per their contract, and many are also medallions because they travel so much.

When I worked in management for a certain other airline and was traveling for COBUS (Company Business), I could book myself NRPS in business class on three cabin aircraft and I was eligible for upgrade to First (if it was two class I had to book in Y, and waitlist for F). I was smart enough to put my badge in my pocket to avoid disrupting any DYKWIAs. Ah the good old days, I miss the "self ticket" authorization.
There were two people who I assume were two pilots in the ORD SC last week. They had taken their badges and bars on their shoulders off and were in black slacks and the white button down. My guess was private aviation pilots.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I didn't realize that all I need to do is dress nicely and smile a lot.

Space-filling travel articles (and space fillers are all that they are) far more likely than not are a bunch of hooey.

My favorite is this one that Fox News used to trot out periodically declaring that 6A was the best seat on a plane...

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/0...row-is-6a.html

... with no consideration of airline or plane type. 6A was just the best seat, period.

CRJ or 757... 6A is the best seat.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:51 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I was smart enough to put my badge in my pocket to avoid disrupting any DYKWIAs and Deputy Diamonds.
Fixed that for'ya!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:24 pm

Sounds like AMR. On United, the only NRPS who are eligible to book directly into 3-cabin F are members of the board and top company officers (and those with it enshrined into their golden parachutes, cough Smisek, Tilton). All other lower priority PSNR traveling on company biz can directly book into 2 and 3-cabin C, which is something they brought back a little over a year ago if I recall.

Last edited by tuolumne; Sep 20, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by captaink
Once the door closes, it's at the discretion of the Purser, and the Purser usually responds better to selfless acts like audidudi's than someone pestering them with lines from the "10 tactics to GUARANTEE an upgrade on your next flight" listicle they saw on facebook, or the "Excuse me, I'm an FO, why didn't you move me up to D1?" complaints.
I’m just saying that no good deed goes unpunished. If someone else had emailed Delta about the captain extending an upgrade to D1 it could land him/her in hot water.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
The gate agent did the pilot a solid. About it.
ucfknights1 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:30 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I dont, I want them to be miserable and very very tired when they are piloting my flight because damnit I want my Diet Coke. HAHAHAHAHAHA
That's one way to make a more exciting flight... "Pilot falls asleep at controls..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.