Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta gave my first class seat to an employee!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta gave my first class seat to an employee!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by apodo77
If you're referring to me that's putting words in my mouth. Here is my exact quote (nowhere did I say it incentivizes lazy employees to give FC seats to non revs):

"So code for do what you want to do including being lazy?
Thats my opinion on it.

To each their own of course."
Sorry, in that reply conflated your response with the on going discussion about putting nonrevs in FC.

However I do feel my original reply to you was correct. Felt that it's over-generalization to say it incentives employees to be lazy.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FF524
what do you say to someone who's logic justifies holding back product who's purpose is to fulfill a part of the total experience being sold to customers. "Sorry Ms Passenger. I can't offer you a Diet Coke as we are down to the last can and well you see, I really like Diet Coke and would like to drink the last can as soon as I get a break".

So while this flights sole purpose is to transport you and provide certain comforts along the way, and the crew is being paid to operate the flight - someone thinks it's ok for the flight crew's food preference to trump paying customers. Look, help yourself to your hearts content with leftovers - but sorry, the flight crew gets absolutely last dibs on the food and beverage items that are in limited supply.
^ I have sat next to nonrevs in F and they have always said "I'll take whatever you have left". And that's the way it should always be.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
One of the bigger issues I've seen is when a F pax no-shows, the agent drops the seat, intends to upgrade the next Medallion sitting in coach, and the #1 Medallion in coach declines the upgrade. With <1 min left before departure, there often isn't time to move onto #2 , especially if the agent's already cleared #1 into the F seat.

I think that YBYL is ridiculous and that it takes less than a minute to go on and pull a few upgrades into newly-opened seats in F, but I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

Originally Posted by dtwmsy
If flying for business they are S1 and yes, that gives precedence.
Incorrect, if they're flying on company business they'll show as a PSUP (positive space upgrade) and are listed after all Medallions (but before nonrevs). S1 is rarely used for company business but is more often used for relocation. S1A is family emergency. Additionally, if an employee is entitled to F/J (pilots on flights of a certain length, management above a certain grade), they're automatically booked into F/J. 99.9% of the time they won't be upgraded last minute.
ucfknights1 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
One of the bigger issues I've seen is when a F pax no-shows, the agent drops the seat, intends to upgrade the next Medallion sitting in coach, and the #1 Medallion in coach declines the upgrade. With <1 min left before departure, there often isn't time to move onto #2 , especially if the agent's already cleared #1 into the F seat.

I think that YBYL is ridiculous and that it takes less than a minute to go on and pull a few upgrades into newly-opened seats in F, but I'm just playing devil's advocate here.

There is no reason why this cannot be automated i.e. removed from the whims of gate agents using technology. When boarding starts, the system will automatically process the upgrade list and clear anyone for confirmed empty F seats. At the closing of the door, the system will process the upgrade list again due to possible F no shows, This sends an update to both the Delta user apps and a special FA app which indicates who received the upgrade. Then the FA can update the upgrade list again, if anyone refused the upgrade.

But of course I don't see Delta spend too much money on a technology that doesn't really bring them much more profits.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by muishkin
There is no reason why this cannot be automated i.e. removed from the whims of gate agents using technology. When boarding starts, the system will automatically process the upgrade list and clear anyone for confirmed empty F seats. At the closing of the door, the system will process the upgrade list again due to possible F no shows, This sends an update to both the Delta user apps and a special FA app which indicates who received the upgrade. Then the FA can update the upgrade list again, if anyone refused the upgrade.

But of course I don't see Delta spend too much money on a technology that doesn't really bring them much more profits.
This is something I hope will be introduced on the new handheld devices or wearables that are being issued to gate agents. Also, I'm surprised flight attendants haven't been given access to the upgrade list on their Skypros (handhelds)...that would make it super easy for the agent to say "2A and 3B are open, upgrade the next 2 on the list"
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
This is something I hope will be introduced on the new handheld devices or wearables that are being issued to gate agents. Also, I'm surprised flight attendants haven't been given access to the upgrade list on their Skypros (handhelds)...that would make it super easy for the agent to say "2A and 3B are open, upgrade the next 2 on the list"
Then they wouldn't be able to move up nonrevs after the door closes. I could imagine some FAs getting the message about upgrades and deliberately not doing it.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then they wouldn't be able to move up nonrevs after the door closes. I could imagine some FAs getting the message about upgrades and deliberately not doing it.
Exactly, it would be absolutely useless.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP

In my hypothetical system, the upgrade is always processed by the computer, thereby removing the human from the loop. The first time the upgrade list is processed, by the computer, is when the first boarding pass is scanned and the second time is when the door is closed.

The passenger will be able to get a notification on their Delta app that they are upgraded. Correspondingly their mobile pass is also updated (I assume Delta already does this since AA has this feature). They can refuse the upgrade using a cancel option, unless the original seat is already taken due to the processing of the standbys. If the passenger cancels the upgrade successfully, this triggers another processing of the upgrade list by the computer. If the passenger has already boarded and the door has closed, additionally the FA ignores the upgrade notification, then it is up to the passengers to be proactive and show the FA their new mobile passes, and thereby reminding the FA to allow them to move up to the first cabin.

Will this eliminate 100% of shenanigans? No. But I bet it will eliminate most of them especially the cases where the gate agent "forgot" to process the upgrade list.

Last edited by muishkin; Sep 19, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
If the FAs don't UG the pax as told than they could be putting themselves into a bad situation. If the GA UG's 10A in the system to 2A and 10A is given to a non-rev a seat at the gate than there would be a seat dup due to 10A not knowing he/she have been UGd (assuming he/she isn't using a mobile boarding pass) which could cause a delay.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by audidudi
Which reminds me of a situation which happened to me last year. I was waiting at the gate to board SFO>SEA and was #1 on the upgrade list for 1 seat. A DL Captain (in uniform) showed up and I overheard him telling the GA that he would take any seat as he was flying the SEA>HKG leg after arriving at SEA. Apparently he had been called up as a last minute replacement for another Captain who must have been unable to go to HKG. After I boarded and was in my seat, the Captain was the last to board. I got up and asked him where he was sitting and he said right at the back as it was a full flight. I insisted that he take my seat as he needed to get to the S Concourse as fast as possible once we landed at SEA. I also mentioned that I was on his SEA>HKG flight and would see him on board as I always go up to the cockpit to say hello to the crew. Once everyone had boarded and the boarding door had been closed, the Purser came to my seat and said that I could take the last seat in D1 at the Captain's request! I was so thankful as I had no GUC's left and had no other way to get into D1 for this flight. It just goes to show that once in a while a good deed can sometimes be rewarded!
Truly one of the classiest things I've read on FlyerTalk in a long time.

Bravo to you sir!
RFDMinnesota likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Truly one of the classiest things I've read on FlyerTalk in a long time.

Bravo to you sir!
A nice story but I was under the impression that onboard crews had no authority to upgrade passengers. I've heard crews tell passengers they would have to let the gate agent handle seat issues.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If Bill Gates and Ivanka Trump can fly in coach then there is no need for any Delta employee to be in F unless there is space after all medallions have cleared.
not so classy. Unionized pilots (which DL's are by the way) negotiate in their contract benefits for reduced monetary compensation. On all 3 major US airlines, this includes provisions for being seated in F under certain circumstances.

It's absolutely astounding how the majority of responses to this thread (from an OP with an incomplete story and doesn't know DL's PSNR/NRSA boarding priorities/policies) have not even thought to entertain this before ranting about how the big bad company is against all their passengers because they didn't get their dear upgrade for free. Please...

I for one, and glad that a PILOT get a seat that entitles them to comfort. Bill or Ivanka aren't flying me across the Pacific Ocean.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuolumne
not so classy. Unionized pilots (which DL's are by the way) negotiate in their contract benefits for reduced monetary compensation. On all 3 major US airlines, this includes provisions for being seated in F under certain circumstances.

It's absolutely astounding how the majority of responses to this thread (from an OP with an incomplete story and doesn't know DL's PSNR/NRSA boarding priorities/policies) have not even thought to entertain this before ranting about how the big bad company is against all their passengers because they didn't get their dear upgrade for free. Please...

I for one, and glad that a PILOT get a seat that entitles them to comfort. Bill or Ivanka aren't flying me across the Pacific Ocean.
Yeah unions are great. They give no incentive for an employee to do a good job. And why should they? They get a guaranteed pay increase every year whether they do an excellent job or the bare minimum.
bigbuy likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
If the FAs don't UG the pax as told than they could be putting themselves into a bad situation. If the GA UG's 10A in the system to 2A and 10A is given to a non-rev a seat at the gate than there would be a seat dup due to 10A not knowing he/she have been UGd (assuming he/she isn't using a mobile boarding pass) which could cause a delay.
There are lots of stories of people being upgraded and not told about it. In fact, previously you could find out when your miles posted as flights showed as "class paid/class flown" in your DL FF account. In your case, the GA/FA just tells the nonrev to take 2A or to just take "any" open seat.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:49 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
There are lots of stories of people being upgraded and not told about it. In fact, previously you could find out when your miles posted as flights showed as "class paid/class flown" in your DL FF account. In your case, the GA/FA just tells the nonrev to take 2A or to just take "any" open seat.
The recent updates to the app do a decent job if showing when upgrades happen, as long as they are processed in the system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.