Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Travel waivers for Hurricane Maria:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ane-maria.html

NOTE: Baggage and pet-in-cabin fee waiver now in effect.

Waiver #3:
Affected Cities (To / From / Through)
Punta Cana, DO (PUJ)
Santiago, DO (STI)
Santo Domingo, DO (SDQ)
San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)

Impacted Travel Date(s)
September 19 - 26, 2017

Ticket must be Reissued On or Before
October 2, 2017

Rebooked Travel must begin no later than
October 2, 2017

Waiver #2:
St. Thomas, VI (STT)
Turks Caicos ISLS, TC (PLS)

Impacted Travel Date(s)
September 5 - October 31, 2017

End of Ticket Eligibility

October 31, 2018

Waiver #1:
St. Maarten SX (SXM)

Impacted Travel Date(s)
September 5 - December 31, 2017

October 31, 2017

October 31, 2018
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Maria

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Hurricane Maria

Delta has issued travel waivers for the quickly strengthening Maria (currently a Tropical Storm soon to be a hurricane). The waiver includes San Juan, PR (SJU), St. Thomas, VI (STT), Turks Caicos ISLS, TC (PLS) and is continued from Irma for St. Maarten SX (SXM).

We are scheduled to celebrate our one year anniversary in Puerto Rico next week. Here's to hoping Maria misses the island (one would think an aviation meteorologist would have better planned his wedding anniversary trip).

Our forecast models are kind of all over the place since the track of Maria will be affected by the track of Jose but several of our forecast models eventually take Hurricane Marie into to the Southeast United States (while some recurve out to sea).

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en....smt-gold.html

Last edited by bcosinteno; Sep 17, 2017 at 1:28 pm
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
May I suggest that you book a refundable hotel in a different region with comparable air ticket prices to the DL ticket you purchased? If it ends up that there is a waiver for SJU, DL may be willing to put you on a flight to your alternate destination at no additional charge. They won't send you to Europe, but think about, for example, the west coast of Mexico. You could also do Hawaii but I think you will have to pay a fare difference unless you get really lucky.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
May I suggest that you book a refundable hotel in a different region with comparable air ticket prices to the DL ticket you purchased? If it ends up that there is a waiver for SJU, DL may be willing to put you on a flight to your alternate destination at no charge. They won't send you to Europe, but think about, for example, the west coast of Mexico. You could also do Hawaii but I think you will have to pay a fare difference.
Yep, that's what we are doing (or at least that's what I'm working on today). Thank you though!
Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:50 pm

Maria is why I am not fixing my fence until Mid October. :-) My daughter just got power back last night from Irma.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
happy anniversary at any rate!!
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Puerto Rico is going to get nailed with at cat 4 to near cat 5 strength eyewall if current track predictions hold...
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Wiki created.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
New baggage and pet-in-cabin fee waiver now in effect - added to wiki.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
Yep, that's what we are doing (or at least that's what I'm working on today). Thank you though!
We had St John (via STT) booked for next month. So sad to see the devastation there from the first one, and now this. FWIW, we were able to switch our flights free of charge to LIR (Costa Rica). I even got some miles back on the cheaper ticket for Mrs. Now hoping that no further natural disasters crop up...
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
OP: curious what you've decided to do about your trip? And if you've already contacted DL, what did they do for you?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rylan
Puerto Rico is going to get nailed with at cat 4 to near cat 5 strength eyewall if current track predictions hold...
Right, she went back to category 5 again. It could be very extremely dangerous.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by N830MH
Right, she went back to category 5 again. It could be very extremely dangerous.
Two category 5 storms, in two weeks, following the same path. Simply speechless.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
OP: curious what you've decided to do about your trip? And if you've already contacted DL, what did they do for you?
I'm working on that today. Likely just going to do the Four Seasons in Palm Beach, Florida. Sounds like everything is back to normal after Irma there.

Delta has been very flexible and helpful.

Extremely sad to think about the damage that will soon take place in Puerto Rico. It's by far one of our favorite places to visit. We love the culture and people on the island.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:03 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by WWads
Two category 5 storms, in two weeks, following the same path. Simply speechless.
Yes, terrible for the many (often not-too-well-off) folks in their paths who have to face serious damage and loss. Unfortunately, that is what a warming Atlantic Ocean can lead to.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:55 pm

STT and SXM waiver just extended through April 2, 2018. Wow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.