Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP and LAS 4 Miles Closer?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Have no issue saying I interpreted it wrong. However to suggest that the only way it could be read was as in regards to MQM is ridiculous. Also it's very possible to get same fare when flying one route frequently. It's not like the fare base price changes frequently.

AFA the RDM multiplier, a general member RDM is x5. Based on fare rounding 4 miles is a perfectly explained difference, as I explained above.
I'm not saying MQMs was the ONLY interpretation, just a lot more likely.

Rounding cannot explain it, because they round up for the base miles, before applying the multiplier.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm not saying MQMs was the ONLY interpretation, just a lot more likely.

Rounding cannot explain it, because they round up for the base miles, before applying the multiplier.
Seems pretty clear to me OP was looking at the flight mileage listed under the flight info and has not actually flown the flight. While flight info shows 1296 miles, if you go to actually book the flight, it says it will credit 1300 MQM's. Why don't we wait until OP actually flies the flight. I'm betting that it will credit as 1300 MQM.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by LBJ
Seems pretty clear to me OP was looking at the flight mileage listed under the flight info and has not actually flown the flight. While flight info shows 1296 miles, if you go to actually book the flight, it says it will credit 1300 MQM's. Why don't we wait until OP actually flies the flight. I'm betting that it will credit as 1300 MQM.
Oh, I agree on that part. A new booking while logged in says 1300 MQMs on the checkout screen. Sadly this is the only time between purchase and the flight posting that DL tells you the MQMs total.

As you say, although there is a "Miles Flown" statistic listed under "Flight Information" if you look up an upcoming itinerary in "My Trips", you can't just add those up to get the MQMs -- for example I have an upcoming BWI-MSP-SFO listed as 934 + 1585 = 2519 but it actually credits as 2525 (which is also what a new booking shows)
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:36 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yohanson
Ok, fine. MQMs. Sheesh.
In my opinion it was this post by Yohanson that started all the drama. He added some attitude in his post with the sheesh. flyerCO mistakenly thought it was award miles, as did I because OPs post wasn't worded well. If you're not going to be clear in your post theres no reason for you to have attitude towards other members. If OP politely corrected flyerCO or even just said, "I meant MQM," that would have been a lot better of a response.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by S.R
In my opinion it was this post by Yohanson that started all the drama. He added some attitude in his post with the sheesh. flyerCO mistakenly thought it was award miles, as did I because OPs post wasn't worded well. If you're not going to be clear in your post theres no reason for you to have attitude towards other members. If OP politely corrected flyerCO or even just said, "I meant MQM," that would have been a lot better of a response.
That seems fair too.

Originally Posted by Zorak
BTW to clarify this, and from an actual example I had last month: $394.88 base fare, which posted to my account as 395 MQDs, 1975 base RDMs, and 2370 DM bonus RDMs for a total of 4345. If they multiplied the base fare by 11 first and then rounded after, that would be 11x$394.88 = $4343.68 -> 4344.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by S.R
The title of the thread is in regards to distance. Everyone knows DL hasn't doled out award miles based on distance in a few years. How anyone could assume it was about RDMs is beyond me.
CPMaverick, CJKatl and jdrtravel like this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
If you're not going to be clear in your post theres no reason for you to have attitude towards other members.
I think the issue is that the poster who responded to OP has a rather long history of pedantic posts that are filled with attitude and arrogance. This case seems particularly egregious and so I think we are seeing some of the built up irritation with said poster boiling over.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
The title of the thread is in regards to distance. Everyone knows DL hasn't doled out award miles based on distance in a few years. How anyone could assume it was about RDMs is beyond me.
That, plus your F figure of 1950 being 50% higher than the Y figure of 1300, was why interpreting it as MQMs seemed natural to me.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by aacar
It seems that some distances have been updated. DTW-LGA always showed up as 500 miles, but is now 501.
DTW-LGA (and vv) have been my most frequently traveled route. DTW-LGA is 501, which LGA-DTW is 500. Sorta affects my OCD haha
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sheesh, you worded as awarded miles. Base members earn 5x$. Thus a difference of four could reflect a change in fare cost. 1300/5 is $260, which is perfectly normal fare for LAS.

DL may have updated thier tables. I say this becuase I noticed it on another route. Just depending on what part of the airport the measurement is done at can cause a change.
Actually, SkyMiles are awarded based on $, not miles. One could read OPs statement as either way, however I knew they were referring to MQMs. A person familiar with math could also tell that the example provided for F was 50% more than Y and the odds of F being priced at 50% more than Y consistently are slim to none. You snark is not only unnecessary, it makes you look like an A$@.

Data point for Yohanson: For me, flight on June 6, 2017 I was credited 1300 MQMs.

Last edited by DCFinanceinFlight; Sep 15, 2017 at 8:47 am Reason: Edit to Add:
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Anyway... back on topic. Why the change by 4 miles, and the other inconsistency of lga-dtw vs dtw-lga being a mile different?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Which is more plausible:

1) OP is talking about the difference between 1296-1300 miles when MSP-LAS when the distance credited as MQMs is 1296-1300 MQMs?
2) The OP just happens to have a ticket which generates 1300 RDM on the MSP-LAS route (what a coincidence!), books this ticket two times, and then books a third ticket for a dollar less which generates 1296 RDM
CPMaverick and CJKatl like this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Plates move and cities move. Heck, one day LAX will be several hundred miles closer to
SEA and LA and SF will be neighbors.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by CJKatl
A few years ago something like this happened with ATL-PHL, which went from 666 miles to 665, but I always assumed that had to do with numerology.
This change was made when TSA clamped down on liquids. Folks could no longer bring holy water onto the plane to counter the "666" mark of the devil curse, so the mileage had to be changed.

Imagine how many RDMs the airline has saved by changing it to 665 rather than 667.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:02 pm

The tectonic plates in the earth shift over time so that could explain the difference, but most likely its that DL uses a bunch (and I mean a bunch) of different tables for the calculation depending on which screen you look at. Anyone who has picked a route based on maximum MQMs may have noticed this. I.e. if you look at DTW to SEA, its 1920 miles on the flight status page, 1921 on the booking page and 1927 MQMs on the last flight I took. It doesn't seem very efficient to me, but then again, I am not running their show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.