Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hdtv4me
I'm flying CI JFK-TPE on a J fare next month on CI ticket stock. Maybe I'll get access to the CI lounge just after passport control. The one in the basement when I flew DL (prior to them canceling TPE-NRT route) sucked. Long hall, dark, food is average at best....I don't get how that could possibly be one of the best. Maybe we're all talking about different lounges at TPE?
I thought the discussion has been pretty clear that there are multiple lounges, and that we're talking about the one in T1.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wlau
Those that claim CA is better than CI is just nuts. When I had to fly UA because my company prepaid a lot of money for UA discount, I had to endure CA connecting flights. It was awful. My mom, who flies on my miles for free and never complaints about anything, refused to fly CA, even for free. CA FAs only treat white people nice, they are racists - if they see another Asian face, they treat you like crap...
That's quite a bold claim. Do you have any sources to back this up or do you just base this on your/your mothers own experience, which is a very small sample size.

I just google searched and found zero articles referencing anything about other Asians feeling mistreated by CA flight attendants. If you have something then please post it. Otherwise, it seems like you have an entitled chip on your shoulder and simply perceive things that aren't true.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
That's quite a bold claim. Do you have any sources to back this up or do you just base this on your/your mothers own experience, which is a very small sample size.

I just google searched and found zero articles referencing anything about other Asians feeling mistreated by CA flight attendants. If you have something then please post it. Otherwise, it seems like you have an entitled chip on your shoulder and simply perceive things that aren't true.
BR is higher ranked than CA on Skytrax.
CI is higher ranked than MU on Skytrax.

I've flown with both of them many times. The Taiwanese airlines is miles miles ahead of the Chinese 3-big.

I dated CA FAs and they told me so. They told me I should dress super sharp and put on my expensive watches and jewelries to stand out. They treat white customers far better than their Chinese counterpart, because the FAs are trying to find a husband/boyfriend and there is a preference for dating or be with Caucasians... It's not a secret because it's quite widely known. I personally don't like to show off to attract attention, so I always dress non-business when I fly international, unless I just walked out of a meeting.

By the way, you must not be searching in Chinese.. and use English search on English Google or something. There has been many stories that Chinese pax ask for something, the FA would say "sorry we don't have"... and when a white customer asks for the same thing, the FA will bend backwards to please the customer.

Last edited by wlau; Sep 18, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
I'm flying CI JFK-TPE on a J fare next month on CI ticket stock. Maybe I'll get access to the CI lounge just after passport control. The one in the basement when I flew DL (prior to them canceling TPE-NRT route) sucked. Long hall, dark, food is average at best....I don't get how that could possibly be one of the best. Maybe we're all talking about different lounges at TPE?
Yes, pass passport control, turn left and that CI lounge is the best in T2.

CI and BR are based in TPE, it's their home hub, so they have many lounges. Us SkyTeam elite can only go to the normal lounge. If you are CI or BR top elite, you can go into the exclusive lounge. I been in there are a few times because my traveling coworker has either Diamond on BR or Paragon on CI, so we used the VIP lounge. Even the non-VIP regular lounge, which is what I referred to, is incredibly good compare to DL. You just have to learn how to order from the noodle bar - their beef noodle is restaurant quality for sure.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
Delta pulled out of Taiwan in May. I'm stuck connecting via CI to Narita or Incheon to catch Delta. The change is a major downgrade, even complained to Delta Corporate about it.

Paid J class and I can't even select seats on CI, no online check-in, wrong baggage limit, arrive at different terminals for connection, angled seats not flat (it's an almost 5 hour flight), food downgrade, the list goes on.

I told the corporate phone agent CI might as well not be a SkyTeam partner and she says "Pretty much like flying completely separate airlines."
I'm in the same boat and just made my first trip this year since they pulled out of TPE. I ended up flying SLC - SEA - ICN - TPE and even used a GUC from SLC - ICN which was awesome as expected. Once arriving in ICN though, I largely felt no real partnership existed with CI with the only exception being the Sky Priority boarding. The A330 on ICN - TPE is horribly outdated (with a vanity mirror, 6" outdated IFE, and a slot to hold an old cell phone in the seatback) and I didn't get any acknowledgement of my status (not that I really care, it was just interesting to see others post here about it). I think the worst part though is the scheduling. I had a 4 hour layover on the way here and have a 7 hour layover on the way back. ICN is a nice enough airport, but not sure how I'll feel after being there for 7 hours later this week! The KAL Lounge is a joke, but thanks to Priority Pass from my Chase Sapphire Reserve, there are 7 other lounges you can use. I visited 3 of them on the way here and the Asiana Lounge in Terminal A is quite nice and the Sky Hub Lounge in the main terminal had some decent food.

I hope the DL/KE JV helps add additional flights with better timing and opens back up west coast routes on the A380 and allows me to use GUCs! I have to come to Taipei a few times a year usually, and it's a brutal trip at the moment (full 24 hours from door to door).

Ryan
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Why does China need to approve a DL/KE JV?
US and China do not have an Open Skies agreement and the whole point of the JV is to open up access to China using KE routes. Skyteam's Asia strategy is to get around the fact that 1) they have no Japanese airlines in the alliance and 2) China is BOOMING. Delta has been behind the eight ball in Asia compared to Star Alliance, chasing more slots at Haneda while also investing in China Eastern. Now Delta is hedging those bets by refocusing on KE after treating them as a Tier 4 black sheep for years. Meanwhile China Southern is being courted by AA but blocked from OneWorld by Cathay Pacific.

It's all kind of fascinating, like slow motion chess with billions at stake.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by ryandelany
I'm in the same boat and just made my first trip this year since they pulled out of TPE. I ended up flying SLC - SEA - ICN - TPE and even used a GUC from SLC - ICN which was awesome as expected. Once arriving in ICN though, I largely felt no real partnership existed with CI with the only exception being the Sky Priority boarding. The A330 on ICN - TPE is horribly outdated (with a vanity mirror, 6" outdated IFE, and a slot to hold an old cell phone in the seatback) and I didn't get any acknowledgement of my status (not that I really care, it was just interesting to see others post here about it). I think the worst part though is the scheduling. I had a 4 hour layover on the way here and have a 7 hour layover on the way back. ICN is a nice enough airport, but not sure how I'll feel after being there for 7 hours later this week! The KAL Lounge is a joke, but thanks to Priority Pass from my Chase Sapphire Reserve, there are 7 other lounges you can use. I visited 3 of them on the way here and the Asiana Lounge in Terminal A is quite nice and the Sky Hub Lounge in the main terminal had some decent food.

I hope the DL/KE JV helps add additional flights with better timing and opens back up west coast routes on the A380 and allows me to use GUCs! I have to come to Taipei a few times a year usually, and it's a brutal trip at the moment (full 24 hours from door to door).

Ryan
Totally agree with you. The connections at ICN are ridiculously long and the KE lounge is a total joke, reminds me of a college dorm lounge. Asiana's lounge via Priority Pass down the hall is considered to be much better. But seriously, this is KE's home hub, you'd think they'd make a bit more effort. There's a Terminal 2 expansion at ICN, so hopefully there will be some upgrades along the way. Similarly, TPE has a Terminal 3 being built as well. OTOH, CI flying into NRT is in a completely different terminal than DL, PITA. Pro tip: skip the Bim Bim Bap Korean meal on D1, waste of a meal, IMO.

I'm also hoping DL/KE JV moves ahead to get rid of all the silly connection issues.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Totally agree with you. The connections at ICN are ridiculously long and the KE lounge is a total joke, reminds me of a college dorm lounge. Asiana's lounge via Priority Pass down the hall is considered to be much better. But seriously, this is KE's home hub, you'd think they'd make a bit more effort. There's a Terminal 2 expansion at ICN, so hopefully there will be some upgrades along the way. Similarly, TPE has a Terminal 3 being built as well. OTOH, CI flying into NRT is in a completely different terminal than DL, PITA. Pro tip: skip the Bim Bim Bap Korean meal on D1, waste of a meal, IMO.

I'm also hoping DL/KE JV moves ahead to get rid of all the silly connection issues.
Wish I had that advice about the Bibimbap meal before I ordered it last night! It wasn't bad, and everything else looked like the typical menu so figured I'd give it a chance. I'm in coach on the way home so I guess I won't have to make that decision! Saving my remaining GUCs for Sydney in November.

Glad I didn't go to NRT as I didn't know about the different terminals. My main decision point was trying to avoid the typhoon, thinking it may affect operations at NRT, and I've never actually been to ICN and wanted to check it out (last time I was in South Korea, ICN didn't exist!)
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Delta pulled out of Taiwan in May. I'm stuck connecting via CI to Narita or Incheon to catch Delta. The change is a major downgrade, even complained to Delta Corporate about it.
I contemplated a move back to DL at the beginning of the year with UA's intro of the horrific 3-4-3 Y seating in their 777-300ERs. However, after DL announced TPE pull out, I was pretty much back to UA. Some of the routings I looked at to TPE after the cut left a lot to be desired.
Arriving into TPE at the earliest 9:10 pm via NRT and midnight via ICN (compared with UA arrival at 6:30 pm) is a serious downgrade, especially when I have to take a bus to central Taiwan on the majority of my trips.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I contemplated a move back to DL at the beginning of the year with UA's intro of the horrific 3-4-3 Y seating in their 777-300ERs. However, after DL announced TPE pull out, I was pretty much back to UA. Some of the routings I looked at to TPE after the cut left a lot to be desired.
Arriving into TPE at the earliest 9:10 pm via NRT and midnight via ICN (compared with UA arrival at 6:30 pm) is a serious downgrade, especially when I have to take a bus to central Taiwan on the majority of my trips.
Ha! Yeah, welcome to my world. I contemplated a switch to *A via BR but I just can't stand UA customer service and that was even before this year's issues. OA has nice international lounges but their network into China is too weak, plus AA has been literally halving their top elite benefits. Though for you and me there's the benefit of Cathay Dragon flying from HKG to RMQ. But I need to get to DTW and DL pretty much owns that airport. So I'm stuck, oh well.

Last edited by CommentatusMaximus; Sep 19, 2017 at 6:27 am Reason: Spacing fix
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by wlau
Yes, pass passport control, turn left and that CI lounge is the best in T2.

CI and BR are based in TPE, it's their home hub, so they have many lounges. Us SkyTeam elite can only go to the normal lounge. If you are CI or BR top elite, you can go into the exclusive lounge. I been in there are a few times because my traveling coworker has either Diamond on BR or Paragon on CI, so we used the VIP lounge. Even the non-VIP regular lounge, which is what I referred to, is incredibly good compare to DL. You just have to learn how to order from the noodle bar - their beef noodle is restaurant quality for sure.
Thanks wlau. I am a Diamond MM but I didn't book my J fare through Delta. I booked it direct with China Air. Will they allow me in the T2 lounge if I'm flying J on CI ticket stock? And isn't it upstairs just after passport control?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
I thought the discussion has been pretty clear that there are multiple lounges, and that we're talking about the one in T1.
I guess isn't wasn't clear enough. If you think my question is too dumb to answer, then don't. It will save both you and I time and energy.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:30 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I guess isn't wasn't clear enough. If you think my question is too dumb to answer, then don't. It will save both you and I time and energy.
I thought that you had maybe missed a key contextual detail. I apologize if I misunderstood your question.

By the same token if you thought I was too dumb to figure out what you meant to ask, then I invite you to take your own advice and ignore any unhelpful responses
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks for the post, OP! I'm currently planning on using a CI A350 route to kick off a RTW trip, and this is super helpful; I'm just trying to figure out if I should grin and bear it in Y so I can get the subsequent TPE-SIN flight on the same ticket or shell out for W and continue on with Jetstar.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Though for you and me there's the benefit of Cathay Dragon flying from HKG to RMQ.
About RMQ, I have written to BR corporate so many times its not even funny. BR has slowly started to expand in RMQ but the airport is dominated by LCCs (even CI seems to be looking up to the LCCs that fly in and out of there). With the Taoyuan airport metro opening, at least there is some semblance of a seamless high speed rail transport service.
For the time being and probably the near future, I will probably keep some kind of CX status but having flown them since the late 1990s, it really just isn't the same airline anymore. Calling it Cathay Dragon sounds so wrong!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.