Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying China Airlines as a Delta Elite - Impressions and Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
DL's selective cooperation with CI is frustrating. If I want to go MSP-TPE connecting in LAX or SFO to CI, CI's own booking engine and ITA usually both suggest Sun Country for the domestic segments! The same routing on DL.dumb often has combined pricing higher than separate R/Ts for the domestic and international portions on the respective ST carriers. Also, is there any way to book CI PE under a DL flight number?
At least in the Seattle market, there is no way I can find to book a DL-CI connection on a single CI fare; the only options offered are VX/AS-CI. Which strikes me as absolutely insane, that CI cooperates more closely with a non-partner than with an alliance codeshare partner... but here we are. Given that, it doesn't shock me that MSP connections are served by Sun Country, but I certainly agree that seems equally nuts...

I couldn't figure out a way to book PE with a Delta flight number. Unlike AF and VS, they don't seem to allow W class bookings on CI.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
premium economy is great. i also got a personal welcome and PDB (!) because i was skyteam elite plus. lovely!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
The updated reverse herringbone seating in the B777 are nice but I truly hate the ancient A330 J seats I often get stuck on for regional flights. Totally agree on the service, very nice.

The TPE T1 lounge is a very competitive business class lounge, really too bad they don't allow us to take the Sky Train between terminals, perhaps when T3 opens up. The "basement" T2 lounge is under construction right now I believe so they opened up the T2 First Class lounge and it's quite a step up from the basement. Very soothing feel, good service, and the food is MUCH better, I'd say even surprisingly so. But again it's only competitive against other good business lounges.
Recently, wife and I flew CI LAX-TPE on their 777. I actually like it a lot, better than the DL 777's IMO. The only thing I would warn folks is as soon as the food is done ask for your bedding ASAP. They bring a nice duvet (like the Westin bedding on DL flights) and another pillow in addition to what comes at the beginning of the flight. Apparently they do not carry one for every pax. It added an extra level of comfort.

Other than that, I do like the lounge in TPE better than any DL lounge (except SEA, SFO, and NRT) and the service on CI was top notch.

I walked back to the Y section of the cabin and the C+ cabin looked nice, probably what I expect with DL's 350s.

At the end of the second meal, they brought some warm broth in a cup and served it to all J pax. Anyone know what that is? Tasted like a salty soup broth. I didn't' catch the name in Chinese.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 10:41 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Recently, wife and I flew CI LAX-TPE on their 777. I actually like it a lot, better than the DL 777's IMO. The only thing I would warn folks is as soon as the food is done ask for your bedding ASAP. They bring a nice duvet (like the Westin bedding on DL flights) and another pillow in addition to what comes at the beginning of the flight. Apparently they do not carry one for every pax. It added an extra level of comfort.
It's much better than the current DL 777, although that's a pretty old product, isn't it? So not entirely surprising.

It seems not all of the FAs know about the "turndown" service -- on one flight I made the request and got a confused look like they had no idea what I was talking about but then one of the other FAs overhead and took over

Other than that, I do like the lounge in TPE better than any DL lounge (except SEA, SFO, and NRT) and the service on CI was top notch.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
At the end of the second meal, they brought some warm broth in a cup and served it to all J pax. Anyone know what that is? Tasted like a salty soup broth. I didn't' catch the name in Chinese.
If this is the thing listed on the menu as "revital drink" it is some sort of chicken/herb broth supposedly with ingredients to promote good health. The first time they handed this to me I thought it was going to be tea and only belatedly realized that the first word was 雞 (the CI FAs default to speaking Chinese with me, which is ok, but sometimes takes me a bit to catch up to it )

For whatever reason I only remember them serivng this eastbound on TPE-SFO, but not SFO-TPE.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BenA
At least in the Seattle market, there is no way I can find to book a DL-CI connection on a single CI fare; the only options offered are VX/AS-CI. Which strikes me as absolutely insane, that CI cooperates more closely with a non-partner than with an alliance codeshare partner... but here we are. Given that, it doesn't shock me that MSP connections are served by Sun Country, but I certainly agree that seems equally nuts...
As Sun Country moves to a ULCC model (per new CEO) and significant densification happens, this already problematic 'option' out of MSP should be axed, I'd hope.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:16 pm

once again delta does not allow booking non-stop from any of those west coast cities to TPE. this is frustrating...
Old Sep 15, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
IME CI service was hit or miss, even on the same flight. I like them and would consider them again for the right routes (they have particularly good timings JFK-TPE-SIN), but I'm not sure they're quite top of the list overall. TPE2 lounge is supposedly due for renovation, but it's too small for the TPAC bank. Also, apparently the JFK-TPE flight may be axed, which would dramatically decrease their usefulness from the east coast (when you can just fly JL or NH instead on many routes).
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by frankflieslots
once again delta does not allow booking non-stop from any of those west coast cities to TPE. this is frustrating...
Delta pulled out of Taiwan in May. I'm stuck connecting via CI to Narita or Incheon to catch Delta. The change is a major downgrade, even complained to Delta Corporate about it.

Paid J class and I can't even select seats on CI, no online check-in, wrong baggage limit, arrive at different terminals for connection, angled seats not flat (it's an almost 5 hour flight), food downgrade, the list goes on.

I told the corporate phone agent CI might as well not be a SkyTeam partner and she says "Pretty much like flying completely separate airlines."
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL GM
Delta pulled out of Taiwan in May. I'm stuck connecting via CI to Narita or Incheon to catch Delta. The change is a major downgrade, even complained to Delta Corporate about it.

Paid J class and I can't even select seats on CI, no online check-in, wrong baggage limit, arrive at different terminals for connection, angled seats not flat (it's an almost 5 hour flight), food downgrade, the list goes on.

I told the corporate phone agent CI might as well not be a SkyTeam partner and she says "Pretty much like flying completely separate airlines."
This is what is frustrating about DL's Asia presence for me as well. DL has gone to the bare minimum of routes to/within Asia while heavily investing in relationships with these partner airlines... but none of the airlines actually feel like partners. Certainly none are up to par with Delta's level of customer service. DL's new safety video is pushing the international partners angle hard too but I just don't see it.

I do think CI is the most promising of the Chinese partners, but the mainland airlines set a very low bar for CI to clear. Maybe one of the SkyTeam partners in Asia will step up their product, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
This is what is frustrating about DL's Asia presence for me as well. DL has gone to the bare minimum of routes to/within Asia while heavily investing in relationships with these partner airlines... but none of the airlines actually feel like partners. Certainly none are up to par with Delta's level of customer service. DL's new safety video is pushing the international partners angle hard too but I just don't see it.

I do think CI is the most promising of the Chinese partners, but the mainland airlines set a very low bar for CI to clear. Maybe one of the SkyTeam partners in Asia will step up their product, but I'm not holding my breath.
VN, GA, and also CI are sure well ahead of DL in terms of service, on the ground and in flight. DL sets the bar low. DL is about on par with MU, CZ..
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by RumPatrol

The DL/KE JV is moving forward with only JetBlue complaining but I doubt US regulatory is going to get involved, so we're really only waiting on China to approve. MU is a Tier 1 partner but they've got a lot of improving to do. Unfortunately for me it doesn't look like CI is going to get any love from DL especially with the two above moving forward.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I've had no problems getting seat assignments in J or Y, on paid or award, except that in Y I couldn't access preferred seats until the airport. I also used OLCI on the app, but it didn't really accomplish much since I needed to go the checkin desk anyway to drop bags and verify travel documents.

I can't comment on the intra-Asia J seats (I usually don't need a lie flat seat for a 4 hour flight), but AIUI most regional airlines short haul J is inferior to their long haul J.

No idea what "food downgrade" means. If this is in comparison to DL, then IME CI is no worse than DL, and probably a bit better.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bennos
I've had no problems getting seat assignments in J or Y, on paid or award, except that in Y I couldn't access preferred seats until the airport.
Likewise. IME the only wrinkle is asking DL for the CI locator and then picking seats via the CI web site (where I think I had to use LASTNAME and FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME glued together).

There may be a restriction on how early you can select seats -- the figure 90 days sticks in my head, although I was able to just select seats for January so maybe 90 days is Y?

Also had a trip last year where I was able to get access to preferred Y seats by calling in, although that could also be because my mom was DFP Gold at the time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...l#post27647837
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My experience with CI is quite limited and my recollection of the one short flight that I took with them a couple of years ago is only of the preposterous meal they put in front of us in Trans-Tasman business class AKL-SYD.

We had hoped to be served a good Asian dinner but apparently they had determined that a Western meal was what was called for on that route and their caterer in AKL gave them what they wanted. However, the caterer did not realize that the CI crew was so unfamiliar with Western procedures that the paper wrappings that were to be removed before heating and serving were left on right thru delivery to our tray tables.

As you can imagine, it was a completely inedible mess and a very good thing that the flight was only of about four hours so that we were able hold ourselves over with salty snacks and then catch a nice late supper in Sydney.

That was so memorable that all else about the flight other than the C seats on the 777 were old fashioned recliners completely has been drowned in our consciousness.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Likewise. IME the only wrinkle is asking DL for the CI locator and then picking seats via the CI web site (where I think I had to use LASTNAME and FIRSTNAMEMIDDLENAME glued together).

There may be a restriction on how early you can select seats -- the figure 90 days sticks in my head, although I was able to just select seats for January so maybe 90 days is Y?

Also had a trip last year where I was able to get access to preferred Y seats by calling in, although that could also be because my mom was DFP Gold at the time.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...l#post27647837
Well I tried selecting seating for the CI legs when booking but they wouldn't stick. I got the record locator and tried to do the same on CI's website and those wouldn't save either. So I called CI, was put on hold for about 10 minutes, then told that the agreement between DL and CI is that seats can ONLY be assigned day of at the airport (like basic economy!). I confirmed that included J class tickets too. I then called the Delta platinum line and was told the same thing. So finally made a complaint to Delta Corporate, see if they care enough to respond.

My wife who is fluent in Mandarin called in for a different flight in August and got the same answer but then scolded them so they relented and allowed me to select seats. May have to sic her on them again, seems like the most efficient way!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.