FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   TSA airport security at MSP T1 changing again! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1866806-tsa-airport-security-msp-t1-changing-again.html)

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2017 8:37 pm

TSA airport security at MSP T1 changing again!

Starting today, there are changes to TSA at MSP yet again (and probably more coming soon).

For the last several weeks, the South checkpoint (near the DL counters and the F/G gates, to your left as you enter the terminal from the curb or over the skyways from the parking ramps) was only for those with PreCheck. It had CLEAR, but only if you also have PreCheck. Anyone else, including DL elites without PreCheck and premium cabin passengers, was being sent to North. The reason was supposedly to install some new and *experimental* equipment that DL seems to be subsidizing and that's supposed to be eventually faster and more efficient.

Starting today, more screening is being done at South again. Specifically, South now includes not only PreCheck but also elites, and still has CLEAR. Everyone else is being sent to North and the lines there were horrendous, stretching across the terminal. North also has lanes for elites and PreCheck, but the details aren't clear, nor it it clear where the employee lanes (that once were at South) are located currently.

People are complaining bitterly, including about elites and those with PreCheck not having to wait in the ridiculously long lines, so I'm guessing that things could change again quite soon. My impression is that local media are trying to fan the flames.

In the meantime, especially if you don't have PreCheck/status/CLEAR, plan to arrive at MSP early and be prepared for more of a mess.

United747 Sep 13, 2017 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28813245)
Starting today, there are changes to TSA at MSP yet again (and probably more coming soon).

For the last several weeks, the South checkpoint (near the DL counters and the F/G gates, to your left as you enter the terminal from the curb or over the skyways from the parking ramps) was only for those with PreCheck. It had CLEAR, but only if you also have PreCheck. Anyone else, including DL elites without PreCheck and premium cabin passengers, was being sent to North. The reason was supposedly to install some new and *experimental* equipment that DL seems to be subsidizing and that's supposed to be eventually faster and more efficient.

Starting today, more screening is being done at South again. Specifically, South now includes not only PreCheck but also elites, and still has CLEAR. Everyone else is being sent to North and the lines there were horrendous, stretching across the terminal. North also has lanes for elites and PreCheck, but the details aren't clear, nor it it clear where the employee lanes (that once were at South) are located currently.

People are complaining bitterly, including about elites and those with PreCheck not having to wait in the ridiculously long lines, so I'm guessing that things could change again quite soon. My impression is that local media are trying to fan the flames.

In the meantime, especially if you don't have PreCheck/status/CLEAR, plan to arrive at MSP early and be prepared for more of a mess.

They really shouldn't have messed with it in the first place. That Sky Priority pre check line was awesome.

I'm flying through in a few weeks, it'll be interesting to see how bad the lines are.

CarmenOM Sep 13, 2017 9:09 pm

They seem to be trying different options. On Sunday the only PreCheck line was at South (Delta end); there was no PreCheck line at North. The all airline elites line was only at North. The only employee line was also at North, combined with the elite line, as has been the case for the last few weeks. CLEAR was at both ends but could only be used at South if you also had PreCheck.

At one time on Sunday, around 4-5PM, the regular line at North and the PreCheck line at South were almost meeting near door 4.

I didn't report here on the lack of PreCheck at North on Sunday because it seemed to be a temporary way of dealing with a surge of pax on Sunday afternoon.

FWIW during the last few weeks when the elite line and the employee line have been combined and only at North, I have never encountered a long line in that lane.

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Now they're saying that it's a thirty day trial.

The idea of changing the setup almost every day makes it difficult for anyone to plan ahead. Also, I'm not sure what conclusions anyone can draw from one data point (lines during one day only) for each experimental configuration as there can be many other factors that determine the length of security lines on any given day and time. For instance, it's well known that the volume of business travel tends to be higher on Monday mornings and Thursday afternoon/evenings (consulting travel schedules).

MSPSKI Sep 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28813245)
The reason was supposedly to install some new and *experimental* equipment that DL seems to be subsidizing and that's supposed to be eventually faster and more efficient.

I was under the impression (meaning i assumed) that they were continuing to expand the AMS style security area idea; where there are multiple spot to take your stuff out so people don't have to wait in line for slow pax to have bags x-rayed. (if that makes sense). Didn't they add this to ATL and claim it was revolutionary!!?

Is that not the case? If not-it will be interesting to see what kind of experimental security they install at MSP.

MSPeconomist Sep 13, 2017 10:09 pm

That was also my understanding of the previous changes, when South *temporarily* became PreCheck only for several weeks.

This week seems to be the beginning of a new type of *experiment* with security configurations at MSP. I wonder whether DL was consulted about some of these plans to move the elite security lines away from DL's elite check in lines in the previous iteration.

RaflW Sep 13, 2017 10:58 pm

So here's an idea while this cluster continues: Keep the skyway security option open till late afternoon weekday flight banks have checked in, and open it for peak times Sat/Sun until the experiment (testing?) is done.

Apparently this craziness is to be repeated in January so the newer screening flow can be installed at the north checkpoint. Blah.

Any fellow MSP-based folks (or regular visitors) care to join me in jotting an email to Chair Boivin of the MAC Board, the commission that runs MSP? Not to be nasty, and I know that the MAC doesn't directly control TSA decisions, but he could certainly put in a suggestion, leader-to-leader to the head of MSP TSA that the skyway hours need to be expanded during this jamup and the expected January mess.
Dan.Boivin [at] mspmac.org (this is a public, published email so I'm not disclosing anything inappropriate here).

I will write him a short, nice note about the requesting expanded skyway screening hours from TSA during this congestion problem.

Relatedly, It's always also bugged me that they say "carry on luggage only" for the skyway. That's true of all TSA security! For the skyway, just ride the little tram to the main luggage check, drop bags, and tram back and get screened. Easy-peasy (unless you then need to get to concourse D, E or F).

fti Sep 14, 2017 12:37 am

Originally Posted by RaflW (Post 28813563)
Relatedly, It's always also bugged me that they say "carry on luggage only" for the skyway. That's true of all TSA security! For the skyway, just ride the little tram to the main luggage check, drop bags, and tram back and get screened. Easy-peasy (unless you then need to get to concourse D, E or F).

It has not bugged me at all. The implication is that if you have checked luggage, you first need to go to the main terminal to check your luggage. If you are coming from the light rail and end up at this checkpoint with checked luggage, it won't work.

DataPlumber Sep 14, 2017 4:16 am

This is good info. I typically use the North for proximity to Ike's but I will be prepared to head South next week

hnewman Sep 14, 2017 5:28 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28813464)
This week seems to be the beginning of a new type of *experiment* with security configurations at MSP.

1st of all thank you so much for letting us know. I saw nothing in the Strib but I am traveling so I am not reading it carefully. I hate when they experiment with us without notification or applying any kind of logic. Is this the MAC or TSA? Or both?

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Sep 14, 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by hnewman (Post 28814309)
1st of all thank you so much for letting us know. I saw nothing in the Strib but I am traveling so I am not reading it carefully. I hate when they experiment with us without notification or applying any kind of logic. Is this the MAC or TSA? Or both?

MAC. They're currently installing ASLs at the south checkpoint and as they get closer to being done they're adjusting the allowed volume accordingly.

P. S. If you don't have status there's checkpoint 10 up in the skyway. Or you could use my referral code for a tree two month trial of Clear.
​​​​​​

hnewman Sep 14, 2017 6:47 am

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM (Post 28814487)
Or you could use my referral code for a tree two month trial of Clear.
​​​​​​

As DM I have Clear (thanks DL) and GE also. But thank you

CarmenOM Sep 14, 2017 8:23 am

I just received a memo (as an MSP volunteer) that the construction at South checkpoint will be completed today. As of tomorrow (Friday 9/15) both checkpoints will take regular and PreCheck pax as before.

MSPeconomist Sep 14, 2017 8:28 am

South was OK this morning at 8:30-9:00 am. It seemed to have an elite lane that wasn't PreCheck as the CLEAR person told me not to go to the first line (on your right as you approach the nude-o-scopes) unless I wanted to take shoes off, etc.

I didn't see how bad North was, but at least the line wasn't stretching to the SkyPriority counters.

However, someone told me that the lines were horrible earlier this morning.

TSA was trying to sell their great new system as if the TSA employees at MSP had invented it themselves. What didn't work was recovery of empty bins after folks retrieved their belongings. The empty bins on the track prevented throughput of later passenger's stuff.

I find the "never forget 9/11" mural as you exit South security to be creepy in an airport. It could easily upset someone who's envious about flying.

TheLifeOfA_NKCM Sep 14, 2017 8:41 am

Originally Posted by hnewman (Post 28814525)
As DM I have Clear (thanks DL) and GE also. But thank you

Alright, well just thought I'd put that out there. Currently on mobile so I can't see people's statuses