Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Who here brings their own Tumbler Glass for drinks?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who here brings their own Tumbler Glass for drinks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
LOL wow really?! This did remind me though of a link I saw previously about a carry on cocktail kit, couldn't remember where I saw it but google found this:
https://www.amazon.com/Carry-Cocktai.../dp/B00PSTH5VK
which might be of interest to the OP
I got that kit as a birthday gift last year. It paired very well with a double Woodford. I ended up giving the empty tin to the passenger in 2A because he just about lost it when I mixed my Old Fashioned.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I'm a fanatically light traveler. I can do a 2 week trip with no laundry in a 20" carry on. My laptop bag space has been optimized over 27 years of travel. I would never consider carrying a single thing that isn't 100% essential. A tumbler glass is not 100% essential. My honest opinion - you are barking mad!
Old Sep 9, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Oh, yes. I bring my own baccarat crystal highball glass.

Along with a few 1-gallon zip lock bags which I load with snacks from the Sky Club, and an old Boy Scout canteen that I fill up at the self-serve bar.

So many responses in this thread, but so little humor.

OP. I salute you. If you can't encounter class in your travels, you must bring it with you. ^
Old Sep 9, 2017, 2:39 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by danielonn
When I fly Delta Comfort+ I bring my own Tumbler Glass in my carryon and then pour the mini bottles in or beer/wine. I get the First Class experience in Y.

Try it sometime and see the looks from the Flight Crew and other fellow passengers with their plastic cups. I have a second Tumbler that I fill with my own Snack Mix or Trail Mix. Spicy for PM and sweet for AM flights. Both go in two separate ziploc bags. I have even brought cereal and just asked the Flight Attendant for Milk and have an impromptu breakfast.

There are no rules from bringing your own glassware. I just wash it out after each flight. It does not add space and I just bubble wrap it and put it in my carryon backpack.

Thoughts?
Please post pictures. Thank you.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
When I fly Delta Comfort+ I bring my own Tumbler Glass in my carryon and then pour the mini bottles in or beer/wine. I get the First Class experience in Y.

Try it sometime and see the looks from the Flight Crew and other fellow passengers with their plastic cups. I have a second Tumbler that I fill with my own Snack Mix or Trail Mix. Spicy for PM and sweet for AM flights. Both go in two separate ziploc bags. I have even brought cereal and just asked the Flight Attendant for Milk and have an impromptu breakfast.

There are no rules from bringing your own glassware. I just wash it out after each flight. It does not add space and I just bubble wrap it and put it in my carryon backpack.

Thoughts?
I am missing something here... you get alcohol in C+ anyways, so pouring the minis into a tumbler glass makes you feel like in your in F or D1? How?! I am in F and D1 often and to be honest, I hate glass especially in rough weather. And how do you deal with having to store something bulky like a tumbler glass? You are making me scratch my head with this one...

I travel very often and try to full my hair out to reduce space in my luggage, such that I even got a nice Japanese collapsible plastic cup for use when I am in China or some place where the cleanness is questionable. I even bought a full cosmetic bottle set so I can carry all my personal care item in 1 to 2oz small container so I can have everything like I am home...while taking the smallest space possible. Carry a cocktail glass for looking cool is just pure madness.

To be honest, a lot of frills in F and D1 is just for looks. Delta has this bamboo looking tray that's curved/wavey bottom in F and D1, it's the stupidest idea ever. Every time I am cutting meat with the dull metal knife in F and D1, I wish I was back in E or C+ because the plate would rotate in an unbalanced way, like I am fighting with the piece of meat. I also fly in E/C+ often, and the tray is flat and lined with a sticky sheet and it provides a secured stable base for cutting protein even with the plastic knife in E/C+.

DL's plastic cup is well designed, it has a large enough diameter base with thick material that's textured, so it feel secure in your hand or sits in the tray cutout for the cup, even in terrible weather...try holding a slippery glass cup when you are in a long flight and your fingertip skin are dry and provides very little friction... the glass slips out of your hands!!! especially with those stupid glass design that's big on the bottom and small on the top. I am pretty sure they did to prevent spillage but it also makes it slip down out of your hands much likely...

I've also done a lot of flights with Asian airlines, they are very good with servingware that are beautiful and also incredibly practical and thoughtful. Unfortunately, Delta is all about looks and less about functionality. The latest heart-shaped dessert spoon in D1 would be one such example of stupidity. That double-lopped shape does not let you cut pastry very easily because of the gap between the adjoined double-lop of the heartshape .. I gave up eating an apple tart recently because of that stupid heart-shaped spoon.

Last edited by wlau; Sep 9, 2017 at 3:55 pm
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:15 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by timfountain
I'm a fanatically light traveler. I can do a 2 week trip with no laundry in a 20" carry on. My laptop bag space has been optimized over 27 years of travel. I would never consider carrying a single thing that isn't 100% essential. A tumbler glass is not 100% essential. My honest opinion - you are barking mad!
Originally Posted by wlau
I travel very often and try to full my hair out to reduce space in my luggage, such that I even got a nice Japanese collapsible plastic cup for use when I am in China or some place where the cleanness is questionable.
Hey, I am a super light traveller, too, but I don't know if you guys have noticed, most people bring insane amounts of stuff onto planes with them. The idea that someone would have space for a drinking glass isn't that crazy. I certainly could squeeze one into my bag (it really wouldn't take up that much space since I would most likely just put my toiletry kit inside it).

Flying sucks in general, I think bringing one item along as a tiny indulgence is a pretty good idea. Is this particular item the right indulgence for everyone? Obviously not. But it works for the OP (even if I personally think it's weird).
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by pvn
Flying sucks in general, I think bringing one item along as a tiny indulgence is a pretty good idea. Is this particular item the right indulgence for everyone? Obviously not. But it works for the OP (even if I personally think it's weird).
Drinking out of a thimble is a tiny indulgence. Maybe even a shot glass. But a tumbler? Not tiny.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Delta has this bamboo looking tray that's curved/wavey bottom in F and D1, it's the stupidest idea ever.
Stupider than bringing your own glass tumbler?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've never done it. I probably wouldn't bother just because I reckon others would stare, but I do like the idea.

I pack extremely light but have purchased tumblers as souvenirs before. They pack extremely well, if you just pack the tumbler just stuff some clothes around it and a pair of socks inside it (keep the clothes off the glass with paper or plastic if you like). It takes up barely any space at all.

I am in F and D1 often and to be honest, I hate glass especially in rough weather. And how do you deal with having to store something bulky like a tumbler glass? You are making me scratch my head with this one...
Taking your own tumbler may be controversial, but hating glassware onboard is downright wrong and should be illegal . Why would you hate glass in rough weather? Did you have an incident? The tumblers are way more stable than those dinky plastic cups with tiny bases.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: DL DM MM
Just flew NRT to DTW on Delta One. When the FA poured the wine and asked me to try, I thought Yuck! Wine was fine but turned out to be the lingering detergent odor used to wash the glass.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Delta, United
No you experience Y while drinking from a nice glass. However, if that makes the trip better then great.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:20 am

The only way a hollow cylindrical glass object is getting involved in my travels is if its full of duty-free whisk[e]y.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I'd give you the same response as I gave to the guy who showed up at a friend's wedding with Riedel crystal wine glasses to drink from because the glasses at the venue weren't good enough...

We unanimously thought he was a pretentious prick.

That said, maybe I should bring my Nespresso machine and plug it in to the socket in the bathroom. Now, where can I find 100ml bottles of UHT milk?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
Just flew NRT to DTW on Delta One. When the FA poured the wine and asked me to try, I thought Yuck! Wine was fine but turned out to be the lingering detergent odor used to wash the glass.
Not uncommon (even, and especially in restaurants). However, if the other option is drinking out of a tumbler that has the fresh scent of your used undergarments on your return trip, would you prefer the lingering detergent odor?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
IDK about you, but I usually have my dirty laundry in a plastic bag. It wouldn't be difficult to keep your clean glass in a plastic bag, either. And I'm guessing most people who would actually do this would have their clothes in their luggage and their glass in their personal item.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.